The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BDA

xereau

Was pissed and disappointed we didn't draft a forward with our 5th until I realized that I have absolutely 0 scouting background vs a long time established pro scout who's now a GM in the NHL that drafted the likes of Demko, Virt, McCann, Boeser etc. 

7 hours ago, Moonshinefe said:

I don't think so. In an interview Benning said Juolevi was their 5th preference (the 4 before him being selected in the top 4 overall).

Why does that mean no?  Juolevi was his 5th preference and we had the 5th pick...  This could 100% have been the plan if Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi and PDL were his 1-4.

7 hours ago, Lui's Knob said:

The only thing is juolevi isn't good in one particular skill and he's soft. In the west that won't do. He's a good 3-4 Dman but we lost on a 1-2

lw.

The kids 18.  Of course he's soft.  Give him time to hit the gym with professional trainers.

6 hours ago, clam linguine said:

Yea, well OJ  scored 42 points IN JUNIOR!  Is that exciting?

What does that matter ? Drew Doughty scored 50 in his draft year. Oliver Ekman Larssen scored 27 in the Swedish second division in his draft year. Pietrangelo scored 53 in his draft year. It's not as common to see defensemen. even future Norris trophy caliber ones, lighting it up on the scoresheet in junior anymore. What stands out to me is he was the best defenseman on the the memorial cup winning team and the World junior winning team this year. And if you are going to use points as a measuring stick, how about mentioning the fact that he was one point from being top scoring dman in the OHL playoffs this year(behind a 19 year old), plus he was the top scoring d in the memorial cup this year and he was tied top scoring D at the world juniors this year.    

14 hours ago, Outhouse said:

While I appreciate that Canucks Mgmt plans are not complete I really hope we will not be watching a trap team for years to come.

Sure D was a big problem last year we still have guys coming up and had a clown on D I don't need to say who.

But also a problem: ticket sales, excitement, the playoffs and scoring. Definetely need to start looking for some finish,  and I don't mean Finnish.

Winning games = more ticket sales, excitement and playoffs. Elite defense does that for you. I'm really liking the plan Benning is implementing. Trading for a young top 4 D-man is extremely tough these days because of how valuable they are to their respective teams. Guys like Gudbranson don't pop up that often and when they do you jump at the opportunity. Building a strong D line-up and using FA to fill some offensive gaps until our prospects are ready is just really smart hockey.

We lose nothing, but money, the new guys have great mentors to teach them the ropes and we don't give up any draft picks to improve our team. We've seen teams "think" they can use their all star forwards to trade for elite defense, but it takes two to tango and when it comes to d-men dance partners are in short supply. Here's looking at your strategy Edmonton.

10 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

What does that matter ? Drew Doughty scored 50 in his draft year. Oliver Ekman Larssen scored 27 in the Swedish second division in his draft year. Pietrangelo scored 53 in his draft year. It's not as common to see defensemen. even future Norris trophy caliber ones, lighting it up on the scoresheet in junior anymore. What stands out to me is he was the best defenseman on the the memorial cup winning team and the World junior winning team this year. And if you are going to use points as a measuring stick, how about mentioning the fact that he was one point from being top scoring dman in the OHL playoffs this year(behind a 19 year old), plus he was the top scoring d in the memorial cup this year and he was tied top scoring D at the world juniors this

year.    

Make no mistake, we have a potential number 1 d-man with OJ, the fact that as a 17 year old he didn't have the size and strength of a true manchild like an Aaron Ekblad or Ed Jovanovski doesn't in any way diminish his ceiling, he's a great skater with exceptional mobility and amazing hockey IQ, which was the glaring attribute JB was enamoured with, something you can't teach.

If a player the size of Erik Karlsson who went 15th overall can win the Norris trophy at his size, then how can you not get excited by a D-man who's bigger, heavier, skates better and who's hockey IQ is off the charts. Won a WJC gold and the MEM cup, crazy good player who's going to get much better.

And no one carried this Kid, he made his teams better.

12 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

What does that matter ? Drew Doughty scored 50 in his draft year. Oliver Ekman Larssen scored 27 in the Swedish second division in his draft year. Pietrangelo scored 53 in his draft year. It's not as common to see defensemen. even future Norris trophy caliber ones, lighting it up on the scoresheet in junior anymore. What stands out to me is he was the best defenseman on the the memorial cup winning team and the World junior winning team this year. And if you are going to use points as a measuring stick, how about mentioning the fact that he was one point from being top scoring dman in the OHL playoffs this year(behind a 19 year old), plus he was the top scoring d in the memorial cup this year and he was tied top scoring D at the world juniors this year.    

Very true. He also set the record for points by a 17 year old D man in the world juniors this past year. Coaches push learning to play defence until they're a little older. He even

mentioned that he's looking forward to getting more freedom this coming year.

On 24/06/2016 at 10:05 PM, harrytoolips said:

If I have to watch my Nucks play a modern New Jersey Devils trapping style to beat the more skilled teams, I'll support it, especially if it means we get a Cup or two..

Sorry but having only 2 players in top 100 or more last year in goals scored no one getting more than 29. I wouldn't get started on cup talk. Where did the Devils finish lately? Without a Brodeur in net that is a pipe dream.

Mediocrity is not where we want to be. Mediocrity does not win cups and mediocrity does not bring in the draft picks. It leads to another 30 years without a cup.

Need goals to win games.

Im keeping with your "modern" theme I did some quick math for the trolls.

If we are talking winning the cup and going with only my point about needing finish. There are only 4 teams in the past 10 years (20 teams) below 4th in playoffs GF/GP in the playoffs that made it to the finals and only 2 of those teams won the cup one was 5th GF/GP (2011 Bruins) and 6th GF/GP (2013 Hawks).

D doesn't win you cups, scoring does. While GA/GP in last 10 years playoffs were also a factor good offense keeps you in, well the end of the ice you don't get scored against in. Pretty simple. 

The cup aside (which quite frankly putting it in the same idea as NJ and Modern I hope that's  joke, cause it's funny) we won't have to worry about that for a very very long time if we are content with who we have coming up to score goals and finish. I see a lot of passing, turn-overs and defensive zone play continuing for the foreseeable future.

But science is science. Goals=Wins. Don't score and you won't win. I can use a million examples (no matter the defense) of this.

Good offense, by far, leads to less goals against. It draws penalties, demoralizes and stats don't lie.

On June 24, 2016 at 8:47 PM, cuporbust said:

I'm warming up to this. I know he's a great prospect, just disappointed they couldn't make something happen to move one or two spots down to get him and Aquire at least a third round pick to boot  

Benning stated that the only teams that wanted to move up were outside the top 9 and he was considerd a top 7 pick.

On June 25, 2016 at 8:10 AM, hlinkas wrister said:

Erik Karlsson had 11 points the year AFTER he was drafted.  Last I checked he was a TWO time Norris trophy winner.  So yeah it really doesn't matter that much. 

On 6/25/2016 at 0:29 AM, dura_mater said:

I like you James and enjoy reading your post so don't take this the wrong way.

You need to stop taking everything JB and other GMs say to be true.  Benning said there was no true #1 D man.  Do you think he'd say if there was?  Other GMs might second guess they're scouting reports, dig a little deeper and see something they missed.

Do you think if asked if there was a potential top line winger with offensive talent available outside of the top 10 (I say top ten because JB had Boeser ranked around 12-13) last year he would have said yes?  Of course not because then a GM may look over the players again and think hey maybe he's talking about this Boeser kid, maybe there's something we missed.

JB (and I'm sure most GMs) treat this like a poker game.  They keep their cards hidden and bluff like crazy.  Take what they say with a grain of salt if it's regarding future plans.

On that note, I'm 99.99999% sure Marc Bergevin was "exaggerating the truth" when he said he wasn't shopping Subban around and wasn't interested in moving him, during the live draft telecast.

1 hour ago, jmahyoung said:

On that note, I'm 99.99999% sure Marc Bergevin was "exaggerating the truth" when he said he wasn't shopping Subban around and wasn't interested in moving him, during the live draft telecast.

I agree.  I kind of wonder if him getting "upset" with Benning was his way of skirting any blame for that.

Archived