The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BDA

xereau

With the absolute gong show that was the Canucks' d-corps in 2015-16, the selection of Olli Juolevi 5th overall indicates that management knows what was most needed to turn around this franchise.

The Best Defenseman Available at the 2016 NHL Draft:

Juolevi_AB40788.jpg

Olli Juolevi

Olli is regarded as the 'safe' choice of the top D at this year's draft, or in other words, he is the best D available.  The Finnish defenseman shot up the NHL central scouting rankings while anchoring the potent London Knights' powerplay.  Using his speed Juolevi is able to control the puck in a complete 200 foot game, something the Canucks have needed for several seasons.

Being able to get back into the defensive zone quickly, he will allow forwards to take chances moving up the ice.  Juolevi is also known for his ability to get the puck up the ice quickly, another trait that clearly sets the direction for this D-corps moving forward.

This was the right move for this organization!  I am looking foward to seeing him play at the Prospects Tournament in Penticton this fall.

I haven't been this excited about a Canucks defensive prospect since Luc Bourdon.

People are going off about how the Canucks missed out on Tkachuk, but Benning made a bold but solid choice going with Juolevi. Great pick for the Canucks, I am very excited to see his skill set on the Canucks roster for many years to come. 

6 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Will Olli earn a spot on the team next season? probably needs another season of development.

Who knows but if any D has a chance it may be the guy that thinks the game the best / is blessed with the best hockey intelligence....

Archived