The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brett McKenzie | C

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That would make some sense.   ELC - he would be in tough given depth of prospect pool.

I guess he’d need to re-enter the draft first as he’s in the same boat as Stukel? Needs to be offered an ELC or his rights expire. If they expire, he needs to re-enter the draft before he can go UFA and be eligible for an AHL deal.

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I guess he’d need to re-enter the draft first as he’s in the same boat as Stukel? Needs to be offered an ELC or his rights expire. If they expire, he needs to re-enter the draft before he can go UFA and be eligible for an AHL deal.

Doubt anyone takes him in the draft though so Canucks could just straight up say. "We aren't going to give you an ELC, think you still have potential though and would like to see you sign with the Comets" If he doesn't, just move on.

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He doesn't need to re-enter draft to be a UFA.     The rights can expire and then he can sign.

Given Canucks current, and growing, prospect pool depth (particularly at forward) I am doubtful there is room for this kid on ELC but Canuck management may think otherwise I guess.

20 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He doesn't need to re-enter draft to be a UFA.     The rights can expire and then he can sign.

Given Canucks current, and growing, prospect pool depth (particularly at forward) I am doubtful there is room for this kid on ELC but Canuck management may think otherwise I guess.

Really? I thought that players that were eligible to re-enter the draft needed to first go unclaimed before they’d become UFAs and could sign an AHL only deal. 

At least at this point in the calendar. I know there’s a summer window when certain undrafted players can sign as UFAs, even if they are eligible to re-enter the next draft.

But from the recent discussion on Stukel, it seems like unsigned draft picks needed to first pass through an eligible re-entry draft before they became draft related UFAs.

So in that case, is it your understanding that could Stukel could also sign an AHL deal rather than re-enter this year’s draft?

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Really? I thought that players that were eligible to re-enter the draft needed to first go unclaimed before they’d become UFAs and could sign an AHL only deal. 

At least at this point in the calendar. I know there’s a summer window when certain undrafted players can sign as UFAs, even if they are eligible to re-enter the next draft.

But from the recent discussion on Stukel, it seems like unsigned draft picks needed to first pass through an eligible re-entry draft before they became draft related UFAs.

So in that case, is it your understanding that could Stukel could also sign an AHL deal rather than re-enter this year’s draft?

My understanding that a player has the option to re-enter but it is not mandatory for them to be become UFA - but, to be honest, haven't thought about it much so that area of CBA may have been tweaked.   There are pros and cons for the player to re-enter...what if you don't get picked OR get picked lower than your first go around - that probably hurts your leverage far more than just becoming UFA period if the team that drafted you simply doesn't have enough ELCs to go around.

6 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

And he makes it 4 points  (2g 2a) with an assist on the OT winner 33 seconds in.  what a night for him.  

Well if he keeps this up through the playoffs maybe he will get an ELC. Might be a good depth player for Utica next year. 

Hard to say what will happen with him this year. He's basically on the verge of getting an ELC in my mind. His lack of production through the season is somewhat concerning but with playing on such a bad team and then adjusting to a new one you can see why his totals may be a little low.. should be interesting to see what happens.

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

My understanding that a player has the option to re-enter but it is not mandatory for them to be become UFA - but, to be honest, haven't thought about it much so that area of CBA may have been tweaked.   There are pros and cons for the player to re-enter...what if you don't get picked OR get picked lower than your first go around - that probably hurts your leverage far more than just becoming UFA period if the team that drafted you simply doesn't have enough ELCs to go around.

I believe this is the part of the CBA that would cover this scenario and it seems to indicate that any player is eligible for the draft unless they have already gone through two previous drafts. I could not find anything to indicate that a player would have an option.

8.4 Eligibility for Claim. (a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except: (i) a Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out; (ii) a Player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts; (iii) a Player who previously played in the League and became a Free Agent pursuant to this Agreement; (iv) a Player age 21 or older who: (A) has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft and (B) played hockey for at least one season in North America when he was age 18, 19, or 20 and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d); and

2 hours ago, TGT68 said:

And he makes it 4 points  (2g 2a) with an assist on the OT winner 33 seconds in.  what a night for him.  

Kinda funny to see the guy with 2G 2A in a 4-3 game not get named the 1st star!

Lyszczarczyk (wow that’s a tough name to spell) got the GWG and 1st star.

McKenzie scored the first two goals (one of them unassisted), and then assisted on the other two goals, including the primary assist on the OT game winner. 

McKenzie 2nd star.

Final stats line:

2G, 2A, 4pts, +4, 7 SOG, 13/24 faceoffs

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Kinda funny to see the guy with 2G 2A in a 4-3 game not get named the 1st star!

Lyszczarczyk (wow that’s a tough name to spell) got the GWG and 1st star.

McKenzie scored the first two goals (one of them unassisted), and then assisted on the other two goals, including the primary assist on the OT game winner. 

McKenzie 2nd star.

Final stats line:

2G, 2A, 4pts, +4, 7 SOG, 13/24 faceoffs

I’m liking the fact he’s playing on the same team as Gadjovich, getting to know each other. Plus by extension perhaps Palmu since him and Gadj are good friends. Kid line in Utica next year, Palmu, McKenzie, Gadj...?

From what I’ve seen of McKenzie he reminds me of Brendan Gaunce, great defensive forward, room to grow for offence. I think we may be surprised by him down the road, may turn into a good 4th line C for us. 

Also seeing his game tonight, could be a playoff warrior!? What a game, very happy for him. I always loved John Madden growing up, he was a solid 4/3 Centerman for New Jesey, but lit it up come play off time. Need guys like that to win.

One more thought, we have some nice chemistry brewing behind the scenes with our young prospects. With Petterson and Dahlin we have another potentially interesting connection chemistry wise. I’m excited to see if they can experience the same success over here on the smaller ice...Time will tell!

Watching the highlights from this year I'm curious to see what the Canucks do. They could have signed Aaron Luchuk last season who has 115 points in 68 games this year.

McKenzie has 49 points in 64 games this year, but could earn a contract because of his 2 way play I suppose.

Not many players who score 0.68 p/gp over 328 OHL games turn into good pros, but you never know!

Archived