The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Loui Eriksson [6 year x $6M AAV]

Wow Samuelsson. Totally forgot. Man he was great in his first playoffs here. Too bad Vrbata didnt have heart like that. I honestly believe he didnt give a fack about anything or anyone. Purposely shat the bed and gave a list of non playoff teams. Its why I think we can compete for wildcard this year. 3 weeks before deadline, we were right there before Wild and Avs pulled away. Injuries, McCann n Vey playing top 6, depleted D, Weber Biega Hutton and Bartkowski was the top 4. Dorsett Prust and Hank injured all year. Sutter missing. Vrbata's effort. I think we will be pushing LA and Edmonton for 3rd, and ultimately finish in a Wildcard or just outside, 7, 8, 9, 10. Last year our team was worse over summer. Bieksa Richardson gone. Sutter was supposed to be our only improvement. This year, the team is a lot better. JB had a much better summer. McCan Vey Weber Bartkowski replaced will make a big difference. 

3 hours ago, tas said:

i don't understand the myth perpetuated by vancouver media and fans that the sedins are better with a right shooting linemate.

there's nothing mythical about it.  all other things being equal, a right-handed shot is the better option.

because they've had success with some very good left handed shooting right wingers doesn't change that, it simply means it's not essential.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

there's nothing mythical about it.  all other things being equal, a right-handed shot is the better option.

because they've had success with some very good left handed shooting right wingers doesn't change that, it simply means it's not essential.

on paper, sure. in theory, sure. but the proof is in the pudding. 

Why do so many people think we will get Hartnell. I love him too, but we could have got a younger Brouwer for free if he wanted. NMC is a deal killer. On top of Sedin Sedin Eriksson Hansen Sutter Baertschi, at least one of Rodin Granlund Gaunce Etem or this new guy we get, will rip it up this year and force us to protect them. With Hartnell in, we risk losing all of those guys. The guy we get will likely be more of a helm type. 10-15 goals, fast, two-way, kills penalties, LW/C, makes under 3 mil, not 34 yrs old. He will likely check opposition 1st line with Sutter and Hansen. Baertschi shouldnt be that guy. Him, Horvat and Rodin/Etem/Virtanen should be given more offensive zone starts.

You guys think its possible he has plans to put Granlund over at LW, and acquires a very good 4th line centre that brings what Richardson did? I think ideally he brings in a guy who can play BOTH C or LW like Granlund. Granlund plays better at centre, but his faceoffs are worse then Vey and McCann

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, tas said:

No - you're not really understanding the strategic and dynamic advantages of having a right handed one-timer option on their wing.

Simple because some outstanding left handed shots have produced well doesn't mean for example that a right-handed Alex Burrows wouldn't have added yet another element to their attack, making them an even more potent line.

It's not essential - just as having a right handed shot playing the right side on a D pairing is not essential, however when it comes to things like holding the blueline (on your forehand vs backhand), or loading up for one-timers from the left point on the powerplay, it's a clear and obvious advantage.

There's a reason Kesler was so successful on the 1st powerplay unit - and was used there over Burrows despite Burrows being their 5 on 5 linemate - and despite the fact that through the heart of their being a contender, Burrows actually scored more goals than Kesler (117-114 over a 4 yr span) - without the pp production.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 3

Here is a list of some LW/C that JB could be going after. I went through all the teams cuz im a loser, and chose guys I think we would like, but also: had an off-year, their teams tight on cap, they signed similar player, too many at the position, or just that their young and are starting out well, so JB will want to get them

Andrew Cogliano, Zengus Girgensons, Marcus Foligno, Joakim Nordstrom, John Mitchell, Matt Calvert, Mattias Janmark, Antoine Roussel, Dwight King, Jason Zucker, Tommy Wingels, Matt Nieto, Cedric Paquette, Leo Komarov, Adam Lowry

Another one that doesnt really fit what we are in need of, but I feel may get moved, is Mikael Granlund. With Staal, Coyle and Koivu now as the top 3 centre's, I think that should spell the end for Granlunds frustrating up and down time in Minnesota. I can see him moved for a dman and/or winger.

I hated losing Santorelli and hated losing Richardson even more. Closest we came to them since was Cracknell. I think we really need that type of player badly, especially since Higgins is gone and likely to be as well. Darren Helm would have been nice, Wings overpaid though. Too bad Trevor Lewis didn't make the market

Before the signing, I was hoping it would be a Vrbata type of deal(~5mil for maybe 4-5yrs so he'll play into his 35), but then I saw 6x6 and I was blown away. Then again, compared to the Backes, Ladd, Nielson deals, this one actually doesn't seem so bad. Signing Eriksson has far less risk than Lucic, where we know the Sedins have chemistry playing with Eriksson. Wouldn't be surprised if Eriksson and Daniel pops in 40 and Hank hits over 100pts...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tas said:

(In theory) Isnt this what every on wants??  On paper this looks great. How often does " on paper" turn out? ..  I work in a job that screams "on paper", but usually that is farthest from the truth in the end.!. I would rather sign Loui and lose than not sign hin and stil lose.

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

Where Hank sets up on the half boards, it's better to have a right handed shot at the net, otherwise the shooter is on their back hand. 

Behold the point -- Philip Larsen!  Maybe we'll see EG there at some point, too.

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

Besides, my main concern is that Eriksson there makes us a one line team again/still. 

Second half of the season, Baertschi was a 40+ point player and Bo 50+.  Not at all unreasonable to expect them to keep and even surpass that level, plus Rodin coming in should provide at least a threat of offense and 20 from Sutter won't hurt either.  At least we can look forward to improving youth, unlike when we had the likes of Matthias, Booth, Kassian, Higgins, Richardson, etc.

• Upvote 3

I have to say, this is one of the better threads I've read in awhile, a lot of good insight on here.

I think the Canucks did well this summer so far and they will do okay this year as well, but realistically I'll be excited to see what happens in next years draft and also see how the young guys are coming along. 

Go Canucks Go

In Jim Benning we trust!

I can't say I like the Eriksson signing too much. Yes I see the immediate need for more scoring, but immediate needs are not my focus for the team these days. I do worry about his production on the back-half of the contract, when the vast majority of the money is in the bank and he has one eye on that sunny retirement horizon. Eriksson may or may not stir up a lot of creative chemistry with the Sedins, but we are also talking about a guy who willingly came to a team that finished third-last in the league last season. We're also talking about a guy who has made the playoffs just once in the last 8 years. None of this screams #winning to me. 

Still excited about the oncoming season, but mainly for the continued emergence of our good-looking young players. Loui, unfortunately, isn't triggering a bounce on my excitement meter. 

Edited by Jack Fig
  • Upvote 1

On 7/1/2016 at 9:59 AM, Gooseberries said:

I just fear in 6 years he's taking up a young guys spot. 

If a young guy is going to get a spot, he should be able to beat out Eriksson for it. A declining and old Eriksson shouldn't be hard to beat, nor would he be hard to bury in the minors after his NMC ends in two years.

All that said, I'm not expecting him to decline that much.

Edited by ajhockey
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

If a young guy is going to get a spot, he should be able to beat out Eriksson for it. A declining and old Eriksson shouldn't be hard to beat, nor would he be hard to bury in the minors after his NMC ends in two years.

All that said, I'm not expecting him to decline that much.

I agree.  And I think it's worth pointing out that Eriksson is 30, whereas the Sedins are 35.   Their contracts will expire when they're 37 - and there's no real sign to indicate that they won't be worth another contract.    Who is to say that Eriksson can't produce to 35, 36 years - by all accounts he keeps himself in similar outstanding condition and has a lot of things going to his game that could translate.  I think people may dwell a bit too much on guys that got injured in the past few years and forget that aspect of their "decline".

The Sharks just went to a SCF with a handful of 35 and 36 year olds, so while young assets may be the currency of the NHL, at the same time, the devaluation of everyone over 30 is probably highly overdone.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, BOHORVAT53 said:

Here is a list of some LW/C that JB could be going after. I went through all the teams cuz im a loser, and chose guys I think we would like, but also: had an off-year, their teams tight on cap, they signed similar player, too many at the position, or just that their young and are starting out well, so JB will want to get them

Andrew Cogliano, Zengus Girgensons, Marcus Foligno, Joakim Nordstrom, John Mitchell, Matt Calvert, Mattias Janmark, Antoine Roussel, Dwight King, Jason Zucker, Tommy Wingels, Matt Nieto, Cedric Paquette, Leo Komarov, Adam Lowry

Another one that doesnt really fit what we are in need of, but I feel may get moved, is Mikael Granlund. With Staal, Coyle and Koivu now as the top 3 centre's, I think that should spell the end for Granlunds frustrating up and down time in Minnesota. I can see him moved for a dman and/or winger.

I wonder if Minnesota would trade Granlund now that they have Staal, or would they just slide Coyle to the wing?

If not Why not have the Granlund brothers here? Heck if they liked Marcus surely they like the more offense Mikael? Issue would be we have quite a few C. 

Does anyone know if Mikael has played any wing at the NHL level?