The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Loui Eriksson [6 year x $6M AAV]

I thought the Eriksson signing was a good one at the time, and that he would be great with the Sedins. Boy was I wrong. With the way he has been playing and the high salary/long term contract with NTC he has, its one thing that really stands out in my list of worries about the team. He's gonna be a real liability if this is all he can bring to the team. Eating up a lot of cap and leaving a big deficit in production that has to be compensated for somehow. Hopefully a trade can be done.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, amitriptyline said:

I thought the Eriksson signing was a good one at the time, and that he would be great with the Sedins. Boy was I wrong. With the way he has been playing and the high salary/long term contract with NTC he has, its one thing that really stands out in my list of worries about the team. He's gonna be a real liability if this is all he can bring to the team. Eating up a lot of cap and leaving a big deficit in production that has to be compensated for somehow. Hopefully a trade can be done.

Where on earth could we trade him to? 

Maybe Loui to Detroit? For what? 

Loui + Miller (homecoming) for Vanek Howard? 

Howard is on a bad contract and sucks, so taking him is the price we pay for them taking Loui? 

Think Erickson is having a better season but I will say this team is quite passive and it'd be nice to have a mean winger on the team that can mix things up and role the team up.

it seems to me that when this team gets down in the dumps they lack the energy to work out of it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, amitriptyline said:

It was him or Lucic. Pretty much a wash and Loui can still be moved in 2-3 years. Lucic will be a painful contract to have by then.

I am still not in agreement with most people that this will be a failure of a signing. As for this year, Sedins are playing the worst hockey of their careers and Eriksson is not a guy who drives the play. He is a complementary winger, who is good at everything, but not an offensive machine who creates for his teammates. If we had any offensive creators on the PP not named Horvat, wed probably see Loui with a few more goals at least. 

For the most part he doesnt make many stupid plays. I think with a center who is an explosive playmaker :cough: (Hischier) or anyone of that nature, he could put up 50 points a year. As for this year, yes its not looking good. But, lets wait another year, before realllly judging this. 

Edited by KKnight
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KKnight said:

I am still not in agreement with most people that this will be a failure of a signing. As for this year, Sedins are playing the worst hockey of their careers and Eriksson is not a guy who drives the play. He is a complementary winger, who is good at everything, but not an offensive machine who creates for his teammates. If we had any offensive creators on the PP not named Horvat, wed probably see Loui with a few more goals at least. 

For the most part he doesnt make many stupid plays. I think with a center who is an explosive playmaker :cough: (Hischier) or anyone of that nature, he could put up 50 points a year. As for this year, yes its not looking good. But, lets wait another year, before realllly judging this. 

Vrbata  for Coyotes right now has more points than any Canuck player .....

Vrbata is making 1 million this season.

Loui E  is making 6 million this season.

You still think signing Loui E  is a good signing  / good contract ?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I didnt say i thought it was a good contract. I said, "im not in agreement that this will be a fail signing and will give it another year". I think most people would have been an agreement in the summer that Vrbata's time was up in Van. He gave up on his team on several occasions and moped. When the games got tough he backed down. 

4 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I didnt say i thought it was a good contract. I said, "im not in agreement that this will be a fail signing and will give it another year". I think most people would have been an agreement in the summer that Vrbata's time was up in Van. He gave up on his team on several occasions and moped. When the games got tough he backed down. 

Your right. I didn't want Vrbata back. Seems like Willie and him had a spat.  

I hope your right with LE.    We need him to bounce back next year....

48 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Your right. I didn't want Vrbata back. Seems like Willie and him had a spat.  

I hope your right with LE.    We need him to bounce back next year....

He needs a creative playmaking linemate. I think Boeser might be our best option to play with him next year, thats if he makes the team. Unless a trade of course or we strike gold, get Hischier and he cracks the lineup. 

Edited by KKnight

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Do you think vrbata was going to re-sign with us for 1 million?

Funny how some fans are willing to keep him in hopes he bounces back next year.... Yet Islanders are wanting to get ride of Ladd's contract because he's been so bad this year there, yet both players have the same amount of points....

Eriksson is an Eastern type player not a good fit in the West imo to soft, Ladd is a player who plays tough more suited for the West. The more I think about it a trade straight up might be the best for both, change of scenery. Eriksson with Tavares might be a good fit, Ladd with the Sedins could be a good fit as well. Really pushing now for a trade straight up between both these players.

20 hours ago, amitriptyline said:

I thought it was a good signing too, but was not a fan of the term. The guy has been snake bit since the own goal in the season opener.  

Not worried about the long term cap issues, we will have tons of cap space moving forward. He does not play a bad two way game and has had other seasons were he was underproducing, only to get better as he adjusted to his new team. 

Lets face it, Willie plays a style of play that is a defence first game. 

Eriksson has not been tried with Horvat and I think he could fit very well on that line as the trailer. Baer and Bo can both drive play and Bo does tend to disrupt the defence when he cuts into the d zone. Eriksson seems like a natural fit to set up in the slot as the shooter on that line. 

EW

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 1

I would do a swap of Eriksson for Ladd, in a heartbeat. Heck, throw in Larson as well. Canucks need tougher players, playing in the west. Eriksson looks lost most games. He does get chances, but maybe clutching the stick a little too tightly. He knows he's snake bit, that probably just adds to his frustration. Ladd is a big BC boy, and this team needs big Canadians on the roster. He's had success paying in the west too, winning a Cup with Chicago. Also winning a Cup with Carolina. These are the kinds of players the Canucks should have mentoring the youth. Proven winners.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Funny how some fans are willing to keep him in hopes he bounces back next year.... Yet Islanders are wanting to get ride of Ladd's contract because he's been so bad this year there, yet both players have the same amount of points....

Eriksson is an Eastern type player not a good fit in the West imo to soft, Ladd is a player who plays tough more suited for the West. The more I think about it a trade straight up might be the best for both, change of scenery. Eriksson with Tavares might be a good fit, Ladd with the Sedins could be a good fit as well. Really pushing now for a trade straight up between both these players.

He has had his best statistical years in Dallas, but youre right hes an eastern type of player Mr.Norris. :huh:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I would do a swap of Eriksson for Ladd, in a heartbeat. Heck, throw in Larson as well. Canucks need tougher players, playing in the west. Eriksson looks lost most games. He does get chances, but maybe clutching the stick a little too tightly. He knows he's snake bit, that probably just adds to his frustration. Ladd is a big BC boy, and this team needs big Canadians on the roster. He's had success paying in the west too, winning a Cup with Chicago. Also winning a Cup with Carolina. These are the kinds of players the Canucks should have mentoring the youth. Proven winners.

I think Eriksson has the ability to bounce back and I wouldn't trade him just yet for another underperforming 30 plus player on a massive contract. 

Thats an 'out of the frying pan into the fire' move. It would also sink a GM if Eriksson started to perform much better in NYI on a wing with Tavares and Ladd didn't improve when he arrived here. 

He has an NMC, so he won't be moved unless he initially made the request. Not likely and it would show really poor character. More than anything this poor season may be a motive for improvement.  

EW 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So.... Have you watched him play? You really think he's that much of a physical player to be in the Western conference...:wacko:

Yes Mr.Norris i have watched him play. He is not a player with a mean streak, but he is a solid player. Remember he has built a career off playing smart two way hockey and scoring goals in the toughest area of the ice, mainly the front of the net.  Sooooo my question to you Mr.Norris, have you watched him play?

7 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Yes Mr.Norris i have watched him play. He is not a player with a mean streak, but he is a solid player. Remember he has built a career off playing smart two way hockey and scoring goals in the toughest area of the ice, mainly the front of the net.  Sooooo my question to you Mr.Norris, have you watched him play?

A solid player :picard:, maybe 5 years ago lol. Yes I watch him play and Burrows is a much better player in front of the net then Eriksson. Yeah he's a smart player for not getting injured maybe. As much as I hate Kesler he is what a good 2 way forward looks like not Eriksson. Would you rather keep Eriksson or trade him for Ladd?

Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

A solid player :picard:, maybe 5 years ago lol. Yes I watch him play and Burrows is a much better player in front of the net then Eriksson. Yeah he's a smart player for not getting injured maybe. As much as I hate Kesler he is what a good 2 way forward looks like not Eriksson. Would you rather keep Eriksson or trade him for Ladd?

I rather Eriksson Mr.Norris.