The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

LOL.  Someone sounds like he's trying to talk himself out of the nervousness of the reality of the Larsson-Hall deal.

Combine that with who your GM is and I think the nerves are warranted.

Really holding onto the Oilers' dimwitted trade there hoping that same lightning strikes for the Canucks I see.  Scr*wing over the Oilers isn't comparable to any of the other teams.

The only reason that they will do well in the years to come is because they won a lottery for the league's soon to be best player who everyone else in the league wants to play with.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Really holding onto the Oilers' dimwitted trade there hoping that same lightning strikes for the Canucks I see.  Scr*wing over the Oilers isn't comparable to any of the other teams.

The only reason that they will do well in the years to come is because they won a lottery for the league's soon to be best player who everyone else in the league wants to play with.

that's a real Gud point.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

that's a real Gud point.

Although I've changed my stance on one Buff-Van trade.  Now that it's becoming obvious that they are very unlikely to make the playoffs, the Canucks should continue to look into trying to pick up Kane.  His value is in the toilet and Vancouver is probably the best bet to rehab him right now.  If he works, great.  If not, then off to Vegas he goes.  The problem is that the Sabres won't pick up any salary past this season and the Canucks are terribly thin on tradeable assets.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Although I've changed my stance on one Buff-Van trade.  Now that it's becoming obvious that they are very unlikely to make the playoffs, the Canucks should continue to look into trying to pick up Kane.  His value is in the toilet and Vancouver is probably the best bet to rehab him right now.  If he works, great.  If not, then off to Vegas he goes.  The problem is that the Sabres won't pick up any salary past this season and the Canucks are terribly thin on tradeable assets.

The Canucks don't need 'tradeable assets' imo for Kane - I think you're going to find that you're in a Kassian/Yakupov type of situation - I'm sorry (yeah, not really) you gave up so much for Kane but lowered expectations are probably a good bet where a return is concerned.

You're probably looking at riding out that two years and 6 million cap hit.  If you could get a Sbisa for him, count your blessings - but I doubt the Canucks would roll the dice on him - or make the cap space to fit him in.  Your playoff opinion is also counterintuitive.

20 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The Canucks don't need 'tradeable assets' imo for Kane - I think you're going to find that you're in a Kassian/Yakupov type of situation - I'm sorry (yeah, not really) you gave up so much for Kane but lowered expectations are probably a good bet where a return is concerned.

You're probably looking at riding out that two years and 6 million cap hit.  If you could get a Sbisa for him, count your blessings - but I doubt the Canucks would roll the dice on him - or make the cap space to fit him in.  Your playoff opinion is also counterintuitive.

The mere fact that Kane has one 30-goal season and four seasons between 17 and 20 goals at 25 years old automatically disqualifies him from a Kassian/Yakupov situation. Unlike those two, Kane has already proven to be able to translate his talent to the NHL. 

The Sabres are going to want something meaningful back and probably won't settle for scraps. 

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm on the fence with Kane.  I haven't completely given up on his ability yet.  Although his propensity to get injured is irritating.

Either way, the trade will be considered a failure.  It's become evident now that the same assets that were traded to acquire Kane would have brought back much better returns if they were traded individually rather than as a whole.

You're a Canucks fan living in Vancouver.  Of course you're going to be optimistic until the bitter end when it becomes obvious one way or the other in regards to the playoffs.

Me on the other hand, I said 2 years ago that the Sabres were going to be mediocre in the '16-'17 season.  When it comes to my hometown team, I prefer to be realistic rather than optimistic.

I was homerish big time on the Canucks' Tortorella season.  I was one of the last holdouts.  Since then I've preferred to be more bearish with them as well.

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

The mere fact that Kane has one 30-goal season and four seasons between 17 and 20 goals at 25 years old automatically disqualifies him from a Kassian/Yakupov situation. Unlike those two, Kane has already proven to be able to translate his talent to the NHL. 

The Sabres are going to want something meaningful back and probably won't settle for scraps. 

and therefore they'll be riding out the two years at 6 millon and then who knows what.

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

Therein lies the problem with Kane.  His real value at the moment isn't worth much more than scraps, but his potential is worth more.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm on the fence with Kane.  I haven't completely given up on his ability yet.  Although his propensity to get injured is irritating.

Either way, the trade will be considered a failure.  It's become evident now that the same assets that were traded to acquire Kane would have brought back much better returns if they were traded individually rather than as a whole.

You're a Canucks fan living in Vancouver.  Of course you're going to be optimistic until the bitter end when it becomes obvious one way or the other in regards to the playoffs.

Me on the other hand, I said 2 years ago that the Sabres were going to be mediocre in the '16-'17 season.  When it comes to my hometown team, I prefer to be realistic rather than optimistic.

I was homerish big time on the Canucks' Tortorella season.  I was one of the last holdouts.  Since then I've preferred to be more bearish with them as well.

you misunderstand the point about the playoffs - I can't be bothered to argue whether it's reasonable or not to think they're going to make them - I'll leave that to the weathermen around here - but you post that the Canucks should pursue Kane because they're chances of making the playoffs are hopeless - that makes literally no sense.  If they were looking to add a guy like Kane, it would be to enhance their competitiveness this year, not because they've written the season off.

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

and therefore they'll be riding out the two years at 6 millon and then who knows what.

8 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Therein lies the problem with Kane.  His real value at the moment isn't worth much more than scraps, but his potential is worth more.

If Kane were a Canuck in a similar situation, would you opt to trade him now that his value is at an all-time low or would you wait until he has another semi-decent scoring season to pull the trigger? I'd choose the latter.

In the seven seasons prior to this one, Kane has logged the following amount of goals (before the age of 25):

You guys act like he's a lost cause and won't get his act together... the stats say otherwise... as a Sabres fan, @SabreFan1, you should know better. He'll fully recover from that injury and he'll once again score a respectable amount of goals. I'm sure Tim Murray knows this... it would be management suicide to choose to trade him now that he's facing a harassment case and recovering from injury. 

Just now, oldnews said:

you misunderstand the point about the playoffs - I can't be bothered to argue whether it's reasonable or not to think they're going to make them - I'll leave that to the weathermen around here - but you post that the Canucks should pursue Kane because they're chances of making the playoffs are hopeless - that makes literally no sense.  If they were looking to add a guy like Kane, it would be to enhance their competitiveness this year, not because they've written the season off.

No team is hopeless yet this year.  They are unlikely to make it in my opinion.

Kane now would work well because the expansion draft is basically a quick way out of his contract if the Canucks had the ability to buy him at a low price.  Unless he became the 3rd Sedin brother from another mother, he alone as an addition wouldn't be enough to put the Canucks into the playoffs in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, guntrix said:

If Kane were a Canuck in a similar situation, would you opt to trade him now that his value is at an all-time low or would you wait until he has another semi-decent scoring season to pull the trigger? I'd choose the latter.

You guys act like he's a lost cause and won't get his act together... the stats say otherwise... as a Sabres fan, @SabreFan1, you should know better. He'll fully recover from that injury and he'll once again score a respectable amount of goals. I'm sure Tim Murray knows this... it would be management suicide to choose to trade him now that he's facing a harassment case and recovering from injury. 

I only want him traded if he brings back a respectable return.  Right now his return would be peanuts, so for now I want him to stay.

I'm not worried about his current injury because ribs heal fast and can be covered up with a sports flak jacket.  It's his style of physically aggressive play that has me worried about his future injuries.  He plays so hard that his body constantly takes a serious beating. 

Also, the harassment case is over.

Edited by SabreFan1

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 6:29 PM, guntrix said:

In the seven seasons prior to this one, Kane has logged the following amount of goals (before the age of 25):

Kane is such a keeper that Buffalo foolishly want to dump him. Go figure!

15 hours ago, guntrix said:

Wanting to trade him and wanting to dump him for scraps are two different things. Of course, CDC has trouble differentiating between the two. 

So Buffalo made a hockey trade to get Kane from Winnipeg and now want to do the same thing to move him on. Good for them but I wonder why? He has been available since last spring and now 'trade'. Do I conclude that the entire NHL is offering 'scraps'?

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

So Buffalo made a hockey trade to get Kane from Winnipeg and now want to do the same thing to move him on. Good for them but I wonder why? He has been available since last spring and now 'trade'. Do I conclude that the entire NHL is offering 'scraps'?

There's some thing called an expansion coming up. It's simply not worth investing in a forward who will likely play well enough to warrant protection. Users often forget that these two years are special in that they require every player to be taken into account, especially when making trades.

26 minutes ago, guntrix said:

There's some thing called an expansion coming up. It's simply not worth investing in a forward who will likely play well enough to warrant protection. Users often forget that these two years are special in that they require every player to be taken into account, especially when making trades.

We would be trading a player we would have protected anyway, would we not?  So would the trade not be a wash?

For the record I am against trading for Kane for anything more than a bag of pucks.

2 hours ago, stuman491 said:

We would be trading a player we would have protected anyway, would we not?  So would the trade not be a wash?

For the record I am against trading for Kane for anything more than a bag of pucks.

It wouldn't work from a Canucks context because we would most likely be trading a defender. There's a separate quota for protecting defensemen and forwards and you can't transfer a protection slot from D to F. 

Such contexts exist throughout the league. Some teams are happy with their current projected protected forwards, other teams have salary cap issues, others have ending ELCs that will need to be taken into account first, etc. This isn't NHL 16 where anything other than salary cap goes out the window. 

• 2 weeks later...