The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

22 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I don't buy it. To be fair, Sven and Bo didn't start playing better and producing consistently until Burrows was put on their line. As I said before, after Eriksson went down Bo only got 7 assists the rest of the season. On pace for 37 assists in a season. That is not a #1 line production.

Believe it or not, 37 assists is #1 line production. There are 93 1st line jobs in the NHL. The 93rd place forward in assists had 29 assists. 37 assists would tie Bo for 36th with the likes of Toews, Mackinnon, Bozak, and Staal. All 1st line players.

EDIT: Unless you mean 37 assists and just that, in which case, you would be right.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Believe it or not, 37 assists is #1 line production. There are 93 1st line jobs in the NHL. The 93rd place forward in assists had 29 assists. 37 assists would tie Bo for 36th with the likes of Toews, Mackinnon, Bozak, and Staal. All 1st line players.

EDIT: Unless you mean 37 assists and just that, in which case, you would be right.

People have unrealistic views of what first line production looks like.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

How many goals did they get?

He got 7 assists and 0 goals in his final 17 games. That extrapolates to 37 assists and 0 goals since 0 times anything equals zero. How is that first line production?

Just now, RWMc1 said:

How many goals did they get?

He got 7 assists and 0 goals in his final 17 games. That extrapolates to 37 assists and 0 goals since 0 times anything equals zero. How is that first line production?

As I already said, in that case you would be right.

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

People have unrealistic views of what first line production looks like.

If just 37 assists and no goals is first line production then I guess everyone can stop whining about the Sedins right.

As much as I too am disappointed with Eriksson since he signed with us, let's give the guy a bit more of a chance to redeem himself.

1) We were all expecting good things, considering his international chemistry with the Sedins and the fact he had quite a good last year in Boston.   Both points seemed to be in his favour but in the end seemed to do nothing for him with us last year.  Perhaps we should have tempered expectations at least a little.  He's being paid a lot, granted - but to expect him to save our team by scoring might have been unrealistic.

2) Let's not forget he injured his knee, and I think it had an effect on him through the remainder of the season.  So he was basically a write-off after early March.

3) When he first arrived in Boston, he started his first season slowly.  (Though not THIS slowly).  His point totals increased appreciably the following years until he came here.  Perhaps he is the kind of guy who just takes a long time to adjust to a new system.

Eriksson hasn't shown us much at all, but you can't deny his reasonable point totals over the years.  Prior to this season he had 63 points which simply isn't possible without having high level talent.  Let's hope this coming season he can start showing us some of that.  Even if he only manages to be a solid 2nd liner, combined with the boost we SHOULD be getting starting as early as next year and absolutely in the following couple of years in our young talent, it should all come together to produce a more exciting team to watch if nothing else.

I have faith that Loui will turn it around next year.. his possession stats were good and he had a positive effect on his line mates despite the low production.  Assuming his scoring gets back up around 50+ points a year his contract is fine... especially as we don't have anyone else really at his age making decent cash besides Sutter.  

I that a healthy team has a spread of players and a productive Loui (former captain, brings offense, reliable 2-way play) is a good piece to have on a rebuilding team especially with the Sedins  most likely due to retire next season.

As an "asset" If Burrows can be traded with a 4.5 million dollar cap hit (and then extended) at 35 then I don't see why Loui can't be moved.  

In 20-21 Loui will be 35 (like Burrows) but with only a 15 team NTC (unlike Burr's full NTC) and a year left on his contract.  That's a huge opportunity for Jim to flip him for something nice.  Hansen said with a year left on his deal he wasn't sure who would trade for him and was very open to any move. There will also be opportunity to retain some of that salary to push a deal through.

19-20 is when sutter's deal turns into a 15 team NTC with an extra year left on his deal.  Another great opportunity to sell a player when our younger guys will actually be ready to take the reigns. In the meantime we have some quality vets to soak up hard matchups and balance out the locker room.

Who knows if we'll be in position to do it, but with all the hubbub of "weaponizing cap space" why isn't retaining a few mil on Loui or Sutter's contracts in their last year or years seen as a great opportunity?  since their last contract years are staggered, it's conceivable to retain cash on both of them.  The fact they only have 15 team NTCs and there's a 2 year window to move them is also awesome.

Maybe Jim isn't as Dim as some believe.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

I have faith that Loui will turn it around next year.. his possession stats were good and he had a positive effect on his line mates despite the low production.  Assuming his scoring gets back up around 50+ points a year his contract is fine... especially as we don't have anyone else really at his age making decent cash besides Sutter.  

I that a healthy team has a spread of players and a productive Loui (former captain, brings offense, reliable 2-way play) is a good piece to have on a rebuilding team especially with the Sedins  most likely due to retire next season.

As an "asset" If Burrows can be traded with a 4.5 million dollar cap hit (and then extended) at 35 then I don't see why Loui can't be moved.  

In 20-21 Loui will be 35 (like Burrows) but with only a 15 team NTC (unlike Burr's full NTC) and a year left on his contract.  That's a huge opportunity for Jim to flip him for something nice.  Hansen said with a year left on his deal he wasn't sure who would trade for him and was very open to any move. There will also be opportunity to retain some of that salary to push a deal through.

19-20 is when sutter's deal turns into a 15 team NTC with an extra year left on his deal.  Another great opportunity to sell a player when our younger guys will actually be ready to take the reigns. In the meantime we have some quality vets to soak up hard matchups and balance out the locker room.

Who knows if we'll be in position to do it, but with all the hubbub of "weaponizing cap space" why isn't retaining a few mil on Loui or Sutter's contracts in their last year or years seen as a great opportunity?  since their last contract years are staggered, it's conceivable to retain cash on both of them.  The fact they only have 15 team NTCs and there's a 2 year window to move them is also awesome.

Maybe Jim isn't as Dim as some believe.

You've made some really good points here, duce; the contract is not as bad as it seems and Loui is a really good player despite his mediocre numbers this season.

He has decent size and can play the 2-way game.  He had poor numbers in the first year he was drafted to Boston, but picked up after that.  I don't expect him to be Dallas good, but am hoping he will end up being in the 50 - 60pt range.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2017 at 10:07 AM, kloubek said:

As much as I too am disappointed with Eriksson since he signed with us, let's give the guy a bit more of a chance to redeem himself.

1) We were all expecting good things, considering his international chemistry with the Sedins and the fact he had quite a good last year in Boston.   Both points seemed to be in his favour but in the end seemed to do nothing for him with us last year.  Perhaps we should have tempered expectations at least a little.  He's being paid a lot, granted - but to expect him to save our team by scoring might have been unrealistic.

2) Let's not forget he injured his knee, and I think it had an effect on him through the remainder of the season.  So he was basically a write-off after early March.

3) When he first arrived in Boston, he started his first season slowly.  (Though not THIS slowly).  His point totals increased appreciably the following years until he came here.  Perhaps he is the kind of guy who just takes a long time to adjust to a new system.

Eriksson hasn't shown us much at all, but you can't deny his reasonable point totals over the years.  Prior to this season he had 63 points which simply isn't possible without having high level talent.  Let's hope this coming season he can start showing us some of that.  Even if he only manages to be a solid 2nd liner, combined with the boost we SHOULD be getting starting as early as next year and absolutely in the following couple of years in our young talent, it should all come together to produce a more exciting team to watch if nothing else.

We were NOT all expecting good things, many of us called this situation well before it happened, it was a stupid move by JB

Like the Virtanen pick, The Joulevi pick, the Gudbransson trade (that was the worst, we were a laughing stock), making a 4 line center our "foundational player" like not properly scouting Tryamkin, Oh hell, let's go all the way back to his choking on the Kessler deal. Sutter Gudbransson and Sbisa (minus a 2nd rounder) terrible outcome, a team took our star and we got back standard or below standard parts in return. His "great scouting" has been totally disproven

When I listen to JB speak he doesn't sound very intelligent, and I actually suspect he isn't

I wish Trev would just take over as GM, at least I know he's intelligent

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2017 at 8:48 AM, terrible.dee said:

We were NOT all expecting good things, many of us called this situation well before it happened, it was a stupid move by JB

Like the Virtanen pick, The Joulevi pick, the Gudbransson trade (that was the worst, we were a laughing stock), making a 4 line center our "foundational player" like not properly scouting Tryamkin, Oh hell, let's go all the way back to his choking on the Kessler deal. Sutter Gudbransson and Sbisa (minus a 2nd rounder) terrible outcome, a team took our star and we got back standard or below standard parts in return. His "great scouting" has been totally disproven

When I listen to JB speak he doesn't sound very intelligent, and I actually suspect he isn't

I wish Trev would just take over as GM, at least I know he's intelligent

Gotta disagree with you somewhat.

Some didn't like the idea of Eriksson, I will concede that.  I was not one of those people.  I thought that his previous chemistry with the Sedins and having a very good last year become coming to our team indicated he would likely be able to inject some scoring into our lineup.  I know there was a lot of scoffing at the length of contract, which is fair, but I can see why Benning did what he did and if I was GM I probably would have done the same.  

Virtanen pick: It was obvious that we were lacking size and scoring, and Virtanen had the potential of bringing both.  I would have selected Nylander anyway in light of his obvious talents, but I can appreciate where Benning was coming from on this.  If Nylander busted, he wouldn't play in the league.  If Virtanen busted (and he might) he will at least play a serviceable 3rd line position.

Juolevi: Again, I wasn't super stoked about this pick but how it works out remains to be seen.  He may prove us both wrong.

GudbranSon: He assessed we needed size in our lineup and he does indeed bring that. I wasn't pleased with the trade because I was high on McCann, but it was obvious he didn't see McCann as the player we were all hoping he'd be. In retrospect, it wasn't the worst trade in the world since it looks like his assessment of McCann appears to have been right - even in the minors he isn't doing much.

Who's to say he didn't properly scout Tryamkin?  While I am as disappointed as anyone to see him pack up for Russia, that's always the risk with drafting Russian players. Same could be said in drafting college players like Boeser - which appears to have been a great move but could have potentially gone the wrong way too.  Are you complaining we have Boeser?  Don't think so.....

Choking on the Kesler deal?  (Single S)  Kesler handcuffed us by demanding a trade to only one team.  In the end, I think we got a reasonable return all things considered.

Hindsight is 20/20.  GMs will do what they think is best but it is impossible to know for sure how a player will develop.  You could rag on every GM for making the wrong selection.  Take the 2014 draft.... we did better with Virtanen than the Islanders did with Dal Colle or Carolina did with Fleury.  Benning did very well in 2015 with Boeser - getting what is likely a first line player deep into the 1st round.

It is easy to hate on him for his mis-steps, but that will happen with ANY GM.  I see you made no mention of the obviously GOOD trades, like Shinkaruk for Granlund or Baertschi for a 2nd, so let's not pretend he hasn't made any obviously good trades. 

Overall, while we might have been one of the worst teams in the least this season, he has taken an old and stale team with almost zero prospects and injected a whole lot of youth and potential into it.  We won't fully reap the rewards of that for a couple of years, so those "fans" who are a little short sighted will absolutely be uptight right now.  But I imagine in relatively short order you won't be complaining quite so heavily.  He has built a good complimentary team - now we just need to keep our fingers crossed at least half of our younger talents like Dahlen, Goldobin, Boeser, Juolevi, Demko, Lockwood, Brisebois, and maybe Gaudette and Gaunce turn into the kind of players we are either expecting or hoping for.  Horvat should continue developing from a low end 1st line center into a mid 1st line center next season, and I expect we will see a better year out of Eriksson.  Baertschi and Granlund should also be improved.  Overall, I am absolutely confident that we make the playoffs next season.

On 4/26/2017 at 9:55 AM, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Louis needs to come back and be much better in order to make that contract worthwhile. 

Even if he puts together a decent season that contract is still awful. It'll linger like herpes until the six years are up as he'll be taking up valuable cap space and not likely to contribute much at the end of it. (the last three years)

I know some here think other teams will stampede to the phones to trade for him but don't be surprised to see LE retire a Canuck 

Edited by TimberWolf

8 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Even if he puts together a decent season that contract is still awful. It'll linger like herpes until the six years are up as he'll be taking up valuable cap space and not likely to contribute much at the end of it. (the last three years)

I know some here think other teams will stampede to the phones to trade for him but don't be surprised to see LE retire a Canuck 

Is Loui's contract better or worse if we extend the Twins?  

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Depends on what you mean. If they take third line pay and minutes it could turn out alright but if they get extended at their current rate I would equate them as the same as LE

A trio of horrible horribleness 

Edited by TimberWolf
  • Upvote 1

On 5/4/2017 at 9:52 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Buy out a guy who had 30 goals the previous season, after just one year?  You reactionary folks really need to settle down.

These are the same people who freaked when we drafted BO and no Val. like you said he is one season removed from 30 goals and may very well get back to that. maybe a different system and consistent linemates will help. Even if he doesn't score 30 for us he is still a very good 2-way player and a good veteran presence 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

Yea that is all true unless he comes back and puts up decent numbers and is actually a difference maker.  Then he needs to follow that with a strong 3rd year and so on. One of the most sought after FA last off season, but he was coveted by many teams and Vancouver had to overpay to have him sign here.

But I can't imagine first year Loui was what management praised and raved about when they acquired him. There has to be more to him or as you said that contract will linger.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Well really depends what Hank & Danny want...If they both sign for 3.5AAV 2 years, that would definitely help...

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a sneaking suspicion that Eriksson is going to have a huge bounce-back season with a new coach and hopefully new linemates next season. Probably not going to hit 30 goals again, but he's a big physical two-way forward who is built to endure and last, and he's only 31. We've seen older players play on a similar style of hockey. I think pairing him with some of these young speedy one-way forwards like Dahlen, Boeser or Goldobin would be an interesting mix and Eriksson would be the perfect mentor for them. 

Plus, he and Granlund had fantastic chemistry so here's hoping Green identifies that and gives them a go at some point during the season. I smell a 40-50 point, 20 goal year from Eriksson. Depending on how the kids go at training camp, I'd love to see us open up our roster with something like this:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser (I know, "top line", but really just a 3a, 3b, 3c scenario)

Sedin - Sedin - Goldobin

Granlund - Sutter - Eriksson

Dahlen - Gaunce - Dorsett/Labate

As the season wears on, the kids (Boeser, Goldobin, Dahlen, Labate, Gaunce) will probably drop off and end up in and out of the lineup whereas Eriksson will hopefully be a bit more consistent than the younger guys and move up the lineup. 

I just don't see a guy of Eriksson's talent and prowess dropping off the face of the Earth that easily. We saw what happened when guys like Burrows and Hansen played on better teams under better coaches with better lineups. Hopefully 2017-2018 with new forwards and a new coach brings the same for Eriksson.

Honestly, if Eriksson can hit something like 17-19+ goals, I'll be satisfied. My standards have been significantly lowered and I think the expectation is that he's gonna be playing 2nd or 3rd line minutes with the twins or with Sutter. Given those minutes, that production should be satisfactory, disregarding his salary. 

• 3 weeks later...