The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

5 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

I'm under the impression that he can be waived.  If he clears, fine and he's not exposed.  If not we've got $6M of cap to play with in free agency.  Is that not the case?

With a NMC he can't be waived and assigned to Utica either, basically we are stuck with him until his NMC becomes a NTC in 2018-2019. At that point we could waive him but until then he's not going anywhere unless we find someone dumb enough to take him and he waives his NMC to go there.

1 hour ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

With a NMC he can't be waived and assigned to Utica either, basically we are stuck with him until his NMC becomes a NTC in 2018-2019. At that point we could waive him but until then he's not going anywhere unless we find someone dumb enough to take him and he waives his NMC to go there.

Balls.  Appreciate the breakdown.

Eriksson could always have a resurgent 2017-2018 year and to be honest, a hard working two-way player who can kill penalties, perform a good screen and net front presence will be great for teaching the kids. Those are the intangeables we need the kids to play with. If we can get each of our young forwards playing that way we'll have a great future, so maybe JB and WD have Eriksson in their plans to act as sort of a mentor. Guys like Sutter and Eriksson who play good two-way games are clearly what this team is based on, just look at Baertschi, Granlund and Horvat too. 

We'll be drafting and bringing up a lot more young forwards into the mix, in particular Virtanen, Boeser and most likely the high 2017 pick not to mention anyone we land in a trade, so these kids will benefit a lot from learning how to play the right way from Eriksson. He's not producing offence, but he's still playing the right way and for this young team in a transition, it's more important about nailing those fundamentals rather than producing offence.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

While I think in some ways Vrbata from last year and Eriksson this year are eerily similar, Eriksson has one key difference: he's useful even when he's not producing. Vrbata just floated around the rink when he wasn't doing anything whereas Eriksson still works hard and makes little things happen. I still hope that his offense will pick up at least a little bit, but at least he's got a bit of a two-way game.

• Upvote 3

On February 16, 2017 at 1:56 PM, terrible.dee said:

The real problem is Benning's golden parachute deal,

It's BS when people's say pro's don't need things like up coming contracts to keep them motivated and accountable,, these contracts are bad

Unless you are signing your own homegrown players, 6 x 6 is not something anyone should get on their final pro deal, that's the deal you give someone in his prime 25 26 years old, after the age of 32 it should be 3 year contracts max, after 35 2 years, and if you make it to 38 and are still playing 1 year deals,

But you don't give a guy his final big payout upfront then expect him to bust his ass for 6 year as he physically decline

The NHL should have performance reviews every 2 years on long term deals and if they aren't being earned teams should be able to take the player to arbitration. Ihave no idea why the NHL tolerates such assinine contracts as Yashin DI Pietro, Luongo, Hossa and to a lesser extent a deal like this, you shouldn't have to offer bad deals to get talent, there should be restrictions on the type of deal you can offer

I agree with you on your point about performance reviews would be neat. But then you throw out Luo and Hossa as examples where I would say to date those two are still worth every bit of their cap hit and would have no reason to ask for arbitration.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Anyone know the name of the alchemist supplying Eriksson with all those invisibility potions?  He does great work.

Radim Vrbata is a master, so I've heard.

If Loui plays with Horvat for a full season, then he's a 50 pt. 200 ft. player and no one complains about this signing. 

Why wait till the trade deadline to pair Loui with the obvious C he should have played with all along...? They virtually played zilch together until now. I remember after a penalty kill sometime in early December, and the lines accidentally got jumbled, 53 and 21 had some offensive zone attack time and it was perfectly obvious to me that they needed to play together for the reason of instant chemistry. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

60+ points I'd say hell yeah

50 points with some solid two way play I'd take it

40 points I'd be pretty bummed

The guy likely wont even hit 30 points...that's a disaster

Add to the lack of production his indifferent physical and defensive play, and the signing was actually rather horrific.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2017 at 9:12 AM, S'all Good Man said:

We need to see Loui under a different coach, or at least more time with the right players. Loui's best years were with Richards, so if you're not going to put Loui with the twins all year then Bo makes the most sense. I think you can chalk up a lot of this year for Loui to Willie's deployment decisions.

I think the same could be said of Vrbata last year when CDC swore up and down he was washed up. But, back in comfortable and familiar surroundings, he's had a bounce back season while getting paid practically nothing by comparison to #21. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/03/2017 at 0:22 PM, Alflives said:

Add to the lack of production his indifferent physical and defensive play, and the signing was actually rather horrific.

Eriksson signing hasn't turned out good in year #1 & I agree his contract kinda "sucks" as Luongo would say. Contract aside, cause that's all we can do now, I don't see why Loui couldn't bounce back & have a better point producing season here. I mean if Vrbata could do it after his dismal season with us 63g. 27pts. -30  to  79g. 53pts. -19 this year. Now 35 years old.

Eriksson last year had 82g. 30g 63pts. +13  to  65g. 24pts. -9 this year.  Now 31 years old.

Vrbata had his best NHL season here at 33 years old with 63pts.

Eriksson has had two 63pt. seasons & three 70+ point seasons. 

I see no reason for Eriksson not to bounce back to the 50pts. range. Also Eriksson is much better than Vrbata defensively & 4 years younger. He also brings that veteran leadership that is needed especially once the Sedins retire. (look at our record since Burrows & Hansen left).

You can bet that Loui will be motivated from this season & will train hard & be ready for a much improved outing in year #2. If not we are in trouble. lol. 

Bo & Loui were also starting to click before his injury. I seen some chemistry there to possibly.

• Upvote 3

On 05/03/2017 at 10:40 AM, reyezone said:

If Loui plays with Horvat for a full season, then he's a 50 pt. 200 ft. player and no one complains about this signing. 

Why wait till the trade deadline to pair Loui with the obvious C he should have played with all along...? They virtually played zilch together until now. I remember after a penalty kill sometime in early December, and the lines accidentally got jumbled, 53 and 21 had some offensive zone attack time and it was perfectly obvious to me that they needed to play together for the reason of instant chemistry. 

I seen the same thing as you & have a good feeling about them 2 next year. If Boeser doesn't get Bo then I could see Boeser getting H.Sedin or hopefully Nolan or Nico next year. Then we'd have 2 nice lines moving forward.

Something like this next year?

Baertschi Horvat Eriksson

D.Sedin  Hirschier Boeser

Granlund H.Sedin Godoblin

LaBate    Sutter   Virtanen

Peluso Dorsett Molino Shore?

For points/60 minutes he is ranked between Cramarossa and Skille. He has the second best corsi behind Brendan Gaunce. Obviously for these two guys a good corsi number is not translating into offense! 

The way I describe Eriksson's play this year, is that he looks like more a good 2 million dollar player than a bad 6 million dollar player. 

Edited by canucklehead44

Loui had way more success playing LW than RW, IIRC.

I agree, he is a better fit with Bo. And its likely next year, since Baer can easily slot in with our likely 'future 1/2C' guy via the draft this year.

Ie, i expect lines to be something akin to:

Sedin-Sedin-Goldy/Granny

Loui-Bo-Brock

Baer-1R draft pick- Goldy/UFA

Plug-Sutter-Plug 

If we got the right plug and the right UFA (J.Williams will be a good target for RW UFA), this would make us remarkably deep and maybe, just maybe pull a Columbus.

Edited by canuckistani