The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks, Kings, Yotes and Hawks have reached out to Vanek.

Just now, Teemu Selänne said:

On a 1 year deal Vanek can return to his days where he had a strong work ethic or he can ride the pine. If he wants another contract he can play for it. 

Pre-Montreal Vanek was a hardworking forward known for his compete level. Canucks are gonna be competitive on the wings: Sedin, Sedin, Eriksson, Virtanen, Etem, Hansen, Burrows, Baer, etc. 

IMO it's the ideal fit for Vanek to bounce back. 

For sure.  I wouldn't be against a deal if it goes the way you describe, but that's just us talking.  IMO is still a big risk.  I'd rather go with someone you know is going to compete hard because the Canucks can't afford to have any floaters on the ice this year

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Would you take Vrbata back on a 1 year deal?  We're basically looking at the same player at this point.

To be fair Vrbata gave up because he started whining about not playing with the Sedins. Vanek isn't as soft as Vrbata and has more of a scoring pedigree.

There's really no harm in a one year deal. If it works great. If it doesn't, then he's gone.

Vrbata isn't half the player Vanek was prime vs. prime. Vanek is still only 2 years removed from being a ppg+ player and 1 year removed from a  50 point season. Last year, he was still 4th on the Wild in points per game, behind only Parise, Koivu and Suter. 

A bounce back isn't out of the question. 

16 minutes ago, mll said:

Vanek needs a playmaker on his line.   One of the reasons it failed in Minnesota is because they didn't have a gifted passer on his line. 

He typically gets in position and waits for someone to feed him the puck - he scores a lot on tip-ins and deflections.  He is also better suited to start in the o-zone as his foot speed is limited.  

He'd slot in well with Baertschi. Kid has great on ice vision. 

For 2-3m short term I'd be interested.. but still would want a physical forward that could play in our top6//top9

Maybe buy him for cheap and buy low trade for E.Kane where hopefully he can wisen up with his parents lol.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

E.Kane - Suter - Vanek

Baertschi - Horvat - Rodin//Hansen

Etem - Granlund - Rodin//Hansen

Burrows

Dorsett on the outs, puts us close to the cap...

Gaunce and Virtanen in the AHL to play top line minutes and first call-ups, which is probably a good idea for Virtanen to play there to work on his scoring touch with AHL men // shotblockers as he has trouble getting it on net.

Granted how much would Buffalo want? We don't have many good chips in the bank. Maybe Hansen? but I love Hansen's speed and PK ability, he's a threat on the PK and one of our main short-handed threats.

Hopefully he is on good terms with Miller and knows Jim from the Buffalo days. You never know... I'll be generous with the salary to simulate us at cap.

FORWARDS (13)
Rightwing: L. Eriksson ($6,000,000) - T. Vanek ($4,000,000) - J. Virtanen ($894,167) - J. Hansen ($2,500,000) - D. Dorsett ($2,650,000)

Centre: H. Sedin ($7,000,000) - B. Sutter ($4,375,000) - B. Horvat ($894,167) - M. Granlund ($900,000)

Leftwing: D. Sedin ($7,000,000) - S. Baertschi ($1,850,000) - E. Etem ($775,000) - A. Burrows ($4,500,000)

DEFENSE (8)
Right: C. Tanev ($4,450,000) - E. Gudbranson ($3,500,000) - N. Tryamkin ($925,000) - A. Biega ($750,000)
Left: A. Edler ($5,000,000) - B. Hutton ($896,250) - L. Sbisa ($3,600,000) - A. Pedan ($950,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
R. Miller ($6,000,000) - J. Markstrom ($1,550,000)

BUYOUTS
C. Higgins ($833,333) - K. Ballard ($0)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
NHL Salary Cap: $73,000,000
Bonus Overages: $315,000
Cap Hit: $72,907,917
Cap Space: $92,083

TSN panel anti van for MartinVancouver they are trying to sell him to everyone else but Van .

if I were JB lock him down now shut Duthie an his eastern clown show up . I am sure Martin knows all about Lou lamorello antics from Jersey storylines. No way he goes to TO

smart move would be to grab him

Archived