The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN's assessment. Agree or Disagree?

HC20.0

We're not getting Barrie or any other big time Dman. Expansion Draft is coming up and we're already protecting Edler, Tanev, and Gudbranson. If we get Barrie or another dman, someone would be exposed. We would love to have kept Hamhuis, but he would be vulnerable to the expansion draft next year.

In a span of two short years, we've completely restocked the cupboard with youth and prospects, and we're drafting pretty well too with Boeser and Demko being super prospects drafted later in the rounds. I give Benning full credit.

8 minutes ago, Tony Da Tigre said:

We're not getting Barrie or any other big time Dman. Expansion Draft is coming up and we're already protecting Edler, Tanev, and Gudbranson. If we get Barrie or another dman, someone would be exposed. We would love to have kept Hamhuis, but he would be vulnerable to the expansion draft next year.

In a span of two short years, we've completely restocked the cupboard with youth and prospects, and we're drafting pretty well too with Boeser and Demko being super prospects drafted later in the rounds. I give Benning full credit.

So what if Hamuis is left vulnerable to the expansion draft? We could have still signed him and used him this year. If Vegas doesn't select him then he's in the clear. If they do, then big whoop, not a big loss imo. 

I doubt Dallas will protect him anyhow. 

4 minutes ago, guntrix said:

So what if Hamuis is left vulnerable to the expansion draft? We could have still signed him and used him this year. If Vegas doesn't select him then he's in the clear. If they do, then big whoop, not a big loss imo. 

I doubt Dallas will protect him anyhow. 

I would loved to have Hammer stick around for two years to lead the young guys, but at the same time, young guys need the ice time and they're not gonna get that if our top 4 were Edler, Tanev, Gud, and Hammer. The young guys would end up with bottom pairing minutes and would not develop properly...

3 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Posts like this serve no purpose to the conversation. Given your history, you should know this already....????

True.  But at least it's funny.  Your claim that our prospects have never been better is an insult to the Sedins and a slap in the face to common sense.  It's not worth anything more than a meme making fun of it. 

On a side note.  Claiming that TSN, or any most other paid experts, are too stupid to understand what Benning is doing doesn't serve a purpose to the conversation either. 

27 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

True.  But at least it's funny.  Your claim that our prospects have never been better is an insult to the Sedins and a slap in the face to common sense.  It's not worth anything more than a meme making fun of it. 

On a side note.  Claiming that TSN, or any most other paid experts, are too stupid to understand what Benning is doing doesn't serve a purpose to the conversation either. 

I was using 20 years as rough estimate..how about 17 years?...That being said,the Sedins were not really that impressive their first few years here (if you were around back then,you would have been first and foremost leading the charge to run them out of town)..I can see that you're already ragging on a 19 year old Virtanen,and you've already pronounced Beartschi a waste of a 2nd round pick..So keep up the good hockey analysis...!.

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

I was using 20 years as rough estimate..how about 17 years?...That being said,the Sedins were not really that impressive their first few years here (if you were around back then,you would have been first and foremost leading the charge to run them out of town)..I can see that you're already ragging on a 19 year old Virtanen,and you've already pronounced Beartschi a waste of a 2nd round pick..So keep up the good hockey analysis...!.

You seem to be underrating the Sedins. Not one forward that has come out of the SEL/SHL has come close to what they accomplished at age 17/18. Not Anze Kopitar, not Niklas Backstrom, not Filip Forsberg, not Elias Lindholm, not William Nylander. The Sedins were special talents long before they ever donned a Canucks jersey. You only have to compare their numbers in the years preceding their draft to see what outliers they were in terms of production. 

9 minutes ago, Toews said:

You seem to be underrating the Sedins. Not one forward that has come out of the SEL/SHL has come close to what they accomplished at age 17/18. Not Anze Kopitar, not Niklas Backstrom, not Filip Forsberg, not Elias Lindholm, not William Nylander. The Sedins were special talents long before they ever donned a Canucks jersey. You only have to compare their numbers in the years preceding their draft to see what outliers they were in terms of production. 

Backstrom had 69 pts as a 18 yr old in the nhl...

Kopitar had 61...

Maybe I misunderstood your post. 

1 minute ago, Gooseberries said:

Backstrom had 69 pts as a 18 yr old in the nhl...

Maybe I misunderstood your post. 

I was referring to their production in the SHL. It's true that Backstrom adjusted quickly to the NHL whereas the Sedins took longer but in terms of who the superior prospects were before their draft, it was definitely the Sedins who I believe also led Modo to a championship. 

11 minutes ago, Toews said:

I was referring to their production in the SHL. It's true that Backstrom adjusted quickly to the NHL whereas the Sedins took longer but in terms of who the superior prospects were before their draft, it was definitely the Sedins who I believe also led Modo to a championship. 

Okay yeah im sorry. I misunderstood

2 hours ago, Toews said:

The poster you are responding to was 100% accurate in stating that the Sedins, like many players who eventually become stars, were not that impressive the first few years they were here. So you respond by purporting to believe that he "seem to be underrating" them, to justify your disdain for our current prospects.

And then you erect a "straw man" argument about what they did as teenagers in Sweden to refute what he accurately stated about their first few years in the NHL. 

You do this sort of thing quite often, which has led me to believe that you are a troll, but perhaps I am being too harsh. Maybe you are not really a troll, maybe you just don't understand simple English. Which is it?

16 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

both of these "losing" teams have exciting future SUPER STARS on theyre team..Id lose for a few years gladly to have McDavid.. Sorry but using the oilers as an example is going to start looking pretty dumb when McDavid scores 110+ points next year..

GG

So you are saying that fans in Winnipeg do not care if their team even makes the playoffs because they have future superstars in their line up. Interesting. It could be many more years before Edmonton makes the playoffs with moves like signing Lucic or trading Hall for a Larrson, so glad to hear that the fans are OK with it.

18 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dunno.. the Sedins and Kesler in 2000s seems to be better than whatever prospect we have now.. i'll agree we have a decent prospect pool atm but it's far from abundance and still lacking in the really high end skill category... Boeser and demko looks to be progressing nicely.. but aside from that i don't see any of the so call better prospect having any impact at the NHL/AHL level.. Gaunce had a great Utica season.. but didn't really do much in the 20 games with the Canucks.. he had one point.. and if he makes the lineup.. he'll be nothing more than a bottom 6 forward.. Virtanen struggled all year with consistency he showed some flashes here and there.. but i expected a bit more out of a #6 overall pick.. even if he doesn't score i expected him to compete hard every night which i failed to see at the home games.. let's just say in the future Baertschi Horvat and Boeser is going to be our top line.. who's gonna fill in the 2nd line assuming the sedins retires.. ??? ??? Eriksson and maybe a Virtanen? i see a bunch of top 6 2nd line players.. but really nothing really jumps out at you saying he's top line material.. don't even need a point a game.. any of those players you see reaching 70 points? in a few years? MAYBE Horvat if he can find chemistry with Baertschi and Boeser.. Horvat have shown great passing skill last year.. just no one ever finishes his pass into empty nets

Horvat, Boeser, Demko, Hutton, Juolevi, Brisbois, Tryamkin, Virtanen, Stretcher, Subban, Garteig, Gaunce, Cassels, Pedan, Grenier, Zalewski, Olsen, Stukel, Lockwood, Zhukerov, etc. etc.   

I'd say we're as deep as ever.

ps. Boeser gonna be a sniper. Bo is the next Bergeron. 

10 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Yeah I'll rag on Virtanen and Baertschi all day long when you say they're better prospects than the Sedins. 

10 hours ago, Toews said:

We seem to have a history of taking forever to develop talent. Sedins and Kesler took what seem like several years to become solid, top-end players and Schneider took 10years before he was ready for the starting job. To be fair, they've all gone on to have long careers as opposed to being a flash in the pan. 

13 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Debatable...

On 2016-07-02 at 6:25 PM, CanadianRugby said:

There are a lot of examples of teams capable of contending that didn't tank.  Unfortunately, those teams don't win very many Stanley Cups.  The Sedins were taken 2nd, 3rd overall.  They've carried this franchise long enough.  It's time for someone new to do it.  You CAN absolutely win the cup without tanking.  But the odds of doing so are so remote. 

Pens twice.. Kings twice.. Hawks three times.. All of them champions because of great management, luck (no injuries) and... tanking.  I want to see Vancouver draft in the top 3 for the next couple of years.  I've been a disappointed fan for so long.  Watching them wallow in mediocrity for the next 10 years would be the worst thing ever.  With no franchise players, this franchise has no hope.

Answer me this:

Where was Kopitar picked?

Where was Begeron picked?

Where was Benn picked?

Where were Getzlaf and Perry picked?

Those players were acquired without the need to tank.

Archived