The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should the Canucks pursue Evander Kane?

TheRussianRocket.

Poll  

569 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Kane should be the #1 person we target

fills organizational needs perfectly

we have too many defenceman 

sbisa and 1st round pick next year

I think what I bolded's really the question with him. While I don't doubt he could help the team with his skills, if he has issues in the locker room and overall atmosphere, is could affect the rest of the team negatively on the ice. I'm not saying no to trying to get him but I'm not saying yes either.... just.... meh.... lol

Yes.......Bring in Evander Kane!

With only 2 years remaining on his contract.

Will add much needed Scoring (on and OFF the ice ( HELLO ROXY!)) and can be physical and Fight too.

See Youtube for his KNOCKOUT of Matt Cooke!

Remember folks,  even TYLER SEGUIN  had off ice maturity/behavioral issues early in his career!!

Would be a huge win for the Canucks if he came home and started growing up/playing his best hockey. But if he continues to get in trouble and is a bust, then the Canucks lose Sbisa and Hansen (or whoever) and Kane might never play another NHL game. Doubt any other team would take a chance on him if he gets kicked off the Canucks. Maybe Benning could get him for cheap, considering his off ice issues are well documented. I guess Benning knows if Kane's character is unfixable.

I think a lot of the hate Kane gets is yes, due to a lack of maturity, and 2, media blowing things out of proportion and making them seem worse. He missed a practice, and the media was all over him. He showed up to the arena in a track suit, rather than a suit, and they jumped all over him. He, still being a young man btw, took pictures with bricks of money, and they were all over him. I understand that when you consistently do things like that, you get a reputation, but really, it's not like Kane has gone off the depend and has reached the point of no return. I say this, while reserving judgement on his 2 recent police reports as, even though police reports were filed for what seems to be a serious crime/incident, no charges were made and investigations are still ongoing. After Patrick Kane, I think most of us at least have learned our lesson that accusations do not mean guilt, even if it's with a person with a spotty record in their past. So until those charges get filed, and there's a real case, I'm not holding that against him as fact. Innocent until proven guilty. Not innocent until proven guilty, unless I don't like you. However, if there is real legitimate truth to those accusations, then I concede, and he should not come here. I have very little patience for things like that, as everyone should.

Now back to my main point. I think we should go after him. Evander Kane, for all his knocks, is also well documented for being really close to his family and especially his two sisters. They grew up fairly poor, and shared a room with them as their family lived in a small, I forget if it was a house or apartment. I remember him talking about how most people would talk about how much it sucks to share a room growing up with your two sisters, but rather he mentioned how you learn to get used to it, and it ended up making all three of them as close as can be. His mother and father also pushed him to the max ever since he was a kid to realize his dream and become an NHL player, as both his parents did similar things in their childhood. His mom was a volleyball player and his dad a boxer. (That's where he gets his insane athleticism from) When awarded his rookie contract with the Thrashers, one of the first things he did with his money was use most of it to buy his family a house... at 19. Jake Virtanen, no knock on the dude, bought a brand new car. This kid got his family a house. Now I'm not knocking Jake, as thats what a lot of 19 year olds would do, but it goes to show you that Kane isn't this unreachable super dick that nobody can get too. Some of his close friends around the league actually describe him as fairly modest, although flamboyant and still immature. He's a 24 year old who likes to party and have a good time... Never heard of that before.

Although it may seem like a random Soliloquy, I actually do have a point. My point is, he's not lost. He's just still immature, and needs guidance. At 24 you should be at least coming around the corner with your maturity, but everyone is different and 24 is not 34. But honestly, and not just generically saying this, the only place that can make it work is Vancouver. And the only people that can make it work are his 2 sisters and parents. Bring him home, and surround him with his family and loved ones. Given how close and tight knit they are, I am more than confident that they can help guide him to get back on track, and turn his reputation in the league around. He also only has 2 years left on his contract. Someone, like his father or mother needs to sit him down and explain to him, "He son, remember all those early mornings we got up to go work out and practice your game Remember the struggle we went through as a family to get you here? You really want to throw all that away because you can't take this seriously enough? You were taking it serious when I took you to all those practices, what happened? You got 2 years to show this league that you deserve another contract, and one that is equal to your amazing talents. 2 seasons, to show your worth and change your reputation, or all that hard work is going to go to waste. You have a lot of doubters right now, and you got 2 years to prove them all wrong and show them that we raised you better than that. Now get your a** in gear." 

It's a match made in heaven. A hometown 24 year old with incredible talent is available, and according to sources, available for cheap, really cheap. I love Landeskog, but you better be willing to give up an arm and a leg if you want to bring him to Vancouver. Buffalo is pretty much looking to give Evander away and rid themselves of him. I say great. Thank you. We also have a defensman in Sbisa that they can use. A Sbisa/Kane swap could be the best thing to happen to this franchise if Evander can be reached and helped guided along. There are 29 cities in this league where it might not be able to work, in fact make that 30 if you count Las Vegas. But at home, surrounded by his close knit family, Vancouver could be the 1 place it does work. Ladies and Gentlemen could be on the verge of one of the biggest trade steals in recent memory. If he can mature a little bit, and I think he can coming home, he could be one of our top goal scorers, and overall forwards for now, as well as the long future. His game is a picture perfect fit for what we are looking for. BRING HIM HOME.

Pedan can slot in as the 7th dman, as I think he's earned it. And besides, Kane has 2 years left on his deal. If I'm wrong and he can't be reached then ok, I'm sure there will be a team willing to trade for him and give him another chance before his contract expires, even if the return isn't all that great. (We'd be giving up Sbisa in the first place... Oh noooo...) And even if nobody will take him, ok, we eat the contract for one more year. Not really a problem since both Miller and Burrows will be off the books by then, freeing up space for us anyway.

Not that much risk in gambling on a 24 year old beast on ice with a 2 year contract, where the potential reward is a possible all star 30 goal scorer for years to come, who I would wager would want to play in Vancouver, the place he calls home, and revived his career, around family that loves him, and he loves back

18 minutes ago, CanuckleHeaddddd said:

Yes.......Bring in Evander Kane!

With only 2 years remaining on his contract.

Will add much needed Scoring (on and OFF the ice ( HELLO ROXY!)) and can be physical and Fight too.

See Youtube for his KNOCKOUT of Matt Cooke!

Remember folks,  even TYLER SEGUIN  had off ice maturity/behavioral issues early in his career!!

Kane turns 25 next season. He's played for 7 seasons and has compiled 426 games played.  How much earlier in his career can we give him.

19 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

With the latest news of Kane being involved in another off-ice incident again, Sabres management is growing impatient with him and reports are surfacing they are shopping him: 

...however, teams are hesitant due to his history of off-ice occurrences so it's unknown the price teams will be willing to pay to acquire him. One would think that naturally his value is at an all time low. 

Coincidentally(?), JB said after the Eriksson signing he's looking to add another forward via trade:

Flashback to 2015 NHL trade deadline where JB tried getting Kane from the Jets

Reveal hidden contents

...ultimately didn't end up happening because Winnipeg wanted to package Kane with Myers in a bigger deal whereas JB strictly wanted Kane and wasn't willing to give up our top young assets at the time which the Jets wanted. Buffalo were the ones who ended up paying the asking price for Myers+Kane in a package deal.

For all the things Kane has done in the past, sometimes all it takes is a change of scenery for a guy to turn it around. I could definitely see that with him coming home and wanting to set an example and turn the page in his career+life. If there's one place it would happen, surely it would be back home and he wouldn't screw it up. I personally wouldn't mind JB pursuing him if the price is reasonable considering all things. I mean afterall, he's only 24 and is a legitimate 2nd liner/top 6 winger who would fit well with the "younger, bigger, faster" mantra. And with all the veterans/leaders/character the Canucks have on their roster, I'd find it virtually impossible to believe it wouldn't rub off on Evander. 

Another thing to consider as well is his contract/salary. 2 years left, AAV price tag of $5.25M per, and a pending UFA at the end.

Canucks would have to send a bit of cap back as well to make a deal happen financially. Inevitably, next years 2nd rounder would probably be involved in the deal and maybe even a swap of mid/late round picks from both sides. Cap going to Buffalo from Vancouver would be Sbisa. A deal of that sort to relieve/dump/replenish the Sabres of Kane and give him what would be a last chance make-or-break opportunity back home.

Dank-Hank-Eriksson

Kane-Sutter-Rodin

Baertschi-Bo-Virt

Dorsett-Granlund-Hansen

...with Etem/Burrows cycling in-out of games until the trade deadline or end of the year.

I could dig that. This would definitely be something I hope management rolls the dice on.

No, he's had a change of scenery & it did nothing for him, & if it did it's been for the worse. Not worth the Karma he carries now....

I would support Kane if we traded for him but I would be hesitant. Maybe him coming home would fix things but it's really hard to say.  I'm already slightly concerned on Jake chilling with Etem.

I know the Canucks did a piece on him being a good role model but until Etem brings it consistently I'm worried about him too. Talk is cheap. Do it consistently like you gave it down the stretch then Ill believe you.

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

The American spelling is color.  He's most likely American.

I'm American but I try to make sure that I spell things the same as the Brits/Canadians when I'm on a Canadian board.  I always get a kick out of the way "cheque" is spelled.  It's spelled "check" in the US.

Sorry iPhone recommended I remove u and I complied.

20 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

With the latest news of Kane being involved in another off-ice incident again, Sabres management is growing impatient with him and reports are surfacing they are shopping him: 

...however, teams are hesitant due to his history of off-ice occurrences so it's unknown the price teams will be willing to pay to acquire him. One would think that naturally his value is at an all time low. 

Coincidentally(?), JB said after the Eriksson signing he's looking to add another forward via trade:

Flashback to 2015 NHL trade deadline where JB tried getting Kane from the Jets

Reveal hidden contents

...ultimately didn't end up happening because Winnipeg wanted to package Kane with Myers in a bigger deal whereas JB strictly wanted Kane and wasn't willing to give up our top young assets at the time which the Jets wanted. Buffalo were the ones who ended up paying the asking price for Myers+Kane in a package deal.

For all the things Kane has done in the past, sometimes all it takes is a change of scenery for a guy to turn it around. I could definitely see that with him coming home and wanting to set an example and turn the page in his career+life. If there's one place it would happen, surely it would be back home and he wouldn't screw it up. I personally wouldn't mind JB pursuing him if the price is reasonable considering all things. I mean afterall, he's only 24 and is a legitimate 2nd liner/top 6 winger who would fit well with the "younger, bigger, faster" mantra. And with all the veterans/leaders/character the Canucks have on their roster, I'd find it virtually impossible to believe it wouldn't rub off on Evander. 

Another thing to consider as well is his contract/salary. 2 years left, AAV price tag of $5.25M per, and a pending UFA at the end.

Canucks would have to send a bit of cap back as well to make a deal happen financially. Inevitably, next years 2nd rounder would probably be involved in the deal and maybe even a swap of mid/late round picks from both sides. Cap going to Buffalo from Vancouver would be Sbisa. A deal of that sort to relieve/dump/replenish the Sabres of Kane and give him what would be a last chance make-or-break opportunity back home.

Dank-Hank-Eriksson

Kane-Sutter-Rodin

Baertschi-Bo-Virt

Dorsett-Granlund-Hansen

...with Etem/Burrows cycling in-out of games until the trade deadline or end of the year.

I could dig that. This would definitely be something I hope management rolls the dice on.

Why would the Canucks want a problem player.  Have we not had enough controversy on this team.  Kane needs to grow up or he will experience a very short career.  Flat out NO, we don't want or need him.

53 minutes ago, TheLiveWire said:

I think a lot of the hate Kane gets is yes, due to a lack of maturity, and 2, media blowing things out of proportion and making them seem worse. He missed a practice, and the media was all over him. He showed up to the arena in a track suit, rather than a suit, and they jumped all over him. He, still being a young man btw, took pictures with bricks of money, and they were all over him. I understand that when you consistently do things like that, you get a reputation, but really, it's not like Kane has gone off the depend and has reached the point of no return. I say this, while reserving judgement on his 2 recent police reports as, even though police reports were filed for what seems to be a serious crime/incident, no charges were made and investigations are still ongoing. After Patrick Kane, I think most of us at least have learned our lesson that accusations do not mean guilt, even if it's with a person with a spotty record in their past. So until those charges get filed, and there's a real case, I'm not holding that against him as fact. Innocent until proven guilty. Not innocent until proven guilty, unless I don't like you. However, if there is real legitimate truth to those accusations, then I concede, and he should not come here. I have very little patience for things like that, as everyone should.

Now back to my main point. I think we should go after him. Evander Kane, for all his knocks, is also well documented for being really close to his family and especially his two sisters. They grew up fairly poor, and shared a room with them as their family lived in a small, I forget if it was a house or apartment. I remember him talking about how most people would talk about how much it sucks to share a room growing up with your two sisters, but rather he mentioned how you learn to get used to it, and it ended up making all three of them as close as can be. His mother and father also pushed him to the max ever since he was a kid to realize his dream and become an NHL player, as both his parents did similar things in their childhood. His mom was a volleyball player and his dad a boxer. (That's where he gets his insane athleticism from) When awarded his rookie contract with the Thrashers, one of the first things he did with his money was use most of it to buy his family a house... at 19. Jake Virtanen, no knock on the dude, bought a brand new car. This kid got his family a house. Now I'm not knocking Jake, as thats what a lot of 19 year olds would do, but it goes to show you that Kane isn't this unreachable super dick that nobody can get too. Some of his close friends around the league actually describe him as fairly modest, although flamboyant and still immature. He's a 24 year old who likes to party and have a good time... Never heard of that before.

Although it may seem like a random Soliloquy, I actually do have a point. My point is, he's not lost. He's just still immature, and needs guidance. At 24 you should be at least coming around the corner with your maturity, but everyone is different and 24 is not 34. But honestly, and not just generically saying this, the only place that can make it work is Vancouver. And the only people that can make it work are his 2 sisters and parents. Bring him home, and surround him with his family and loved ones. Given how close and tight knit they are, I am more than confident that they can help guide him to get back on track, and turn his reputation in the league around. He also only has 2 years left on his contract. Someone, like his father or mother needs to sit him down and explain to him, "He son, remember all those early mornings we got up to go work out and practice your game Remember the struggle we went through as a family to get you here? You really want to throw all that away because you can't take this seriously enough? You were taking it serious when I took you to all those practices, what happened? You got 2 years to show this league that you deserve another contract, and one that is equal to your amazing talents. 2 seasons, to show your worth and change your reputation, or all that hard work is going to go to waste. You have a lot of doubters right now, and you got 2 years to prove them all wrong and show them that we raised you better than that. Now get your a** in gear." 

It's a match made in heaven. A hometown 24 year old with incredible talent is available, and according to sources, available for cheap, really cheap. I love Landeskog, but you better be willing to give up an arm and a leg if you want to bring him to Vancouver. Buffalo is pretty much looking to give Evander away and rid themselves of him. I say great. Thank you. We also have a defensman in Sbisa that they can use. A Sbisa/Kane swap could be the best thing to happen to this franchise if Evander can be reached and helped guided along. There are 29 cities in this league where it might not be able to work, in fact make that 30 if you count Las Vegas. But at home, surrounded by his close knit family, Vancouver could be the 1 place it does work. Ladies and Gentlemen could be on the verge of one of the biggest trade steals in recent memory. If he can mature a little bit, and I think he can coming home, he could be one of our top goal scorers, and overall forwards for now, as well as the long future. His game is a picture perfect fit for what we are looking for. BRING HIM HOME.

Pedan can slot in as the 7th dman, as I think he's earned it. And besides, Kane has 2 years left on his deal. If I'm wrong and he can't be reached then ok, I'm sure there will be a team willing to trade for him and give him another chance before his contract expires, even if the return isn't all that great. (We'd be giving up Sbisa in the first place... Oh noooo...) And even if nobody will take him, ok, we eat the contract for one more year. Not really a problem since both Miller and Burrows will be off the books by then, freeing up space for us anyway.

Not that much risk in gambling on a 24 year old beast on ice with a 2 year contract, where the potential reward is a possible all star 30 goal scorer for years to come, who I would wager would want to play in Vancouver, the place he calls home, and revived his career, around family that loves him, and he loves back

If a sbisa for Kane swap was avaliable I would be tripping over my laces to make it happen.  He could one day be a great teammate but I only want him if we feel we can control him.  I don't want us stuck with his contract if crap keeps happening.

16 hours ago, GeeHahn said:
16 hours ago, GeeHahn said:

When you see things like this on Twitter today, the answer is definitely, hell no: 

https://twitter.com/khatinthekar/status/742397279466721285

And I don't care what anyone has to say about "she's doing it for x, y, or z". For anyone to come out at someone like this means this person deserves it on some level and that is not type of character you need on a team. 

He comes across (and in all likely hood is) as a total self entitled prick. Always has. I don't care how may goals he puts in the net. No thanks. 

When you see things like this on Twitter today, the answer is definitely, hell no: 

https://twitter.com/khatinthekar/status/742397279466721285

And I don't care what anyone has to say about "she's doing it for x, y, or z". For anyone to come out at someone like this means this person deserves it on some level and that is not type of character you need on a team. 

He comes across (and in all likely hood is) as a total self entitled prick. Always has. I don't care how may goals he puts in the net. No thanks. 

lol can you be anymore uptight? first of all you were not there, you have no idea the context of that picture. A hot almost naked chick comes cuddling up to him for a picture and he has his hand on the side of her ass. oh my god no he must be the devil! People like you who try to act so morally superior are a cancer in society, you have no idea the story behind something but you don't like it so its time to start the witch hunt. Many lives have been ruined by people like you. You act all high and mighty and judge without knowing the whole story. And then to say you don't care if she is just out for money because he deserves to have bad things happen to him.You're a disgusting human being

2 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

lol can you be anymore uptight? first of all you were not there, you have no idea the context of that picture. A hot almost naked chick comes cuddling up to him for a picture and he has his hand on the side of her ass. oh my god no he must be the devil! People like you who try to act so morally superior are a cancer in society, you have no idea the story behind something but you don't like it so its time to start the witch hunt. Many lives have been ruined by people like you. You act all high and mighty and judge without knowing the whole story. And then to say you don't care if she is just out for money because he deserves to have bad things happen to him.You're a disgusting human being

How about someone who actually lived in a small city with him words for it

20 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

Hey Evander didn't know you were on CDC ;)

4 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

what are you trying to say? you lived in a small city with E.Kane and you know him personally? I don't understand your broken English reply

I'm saying living in a small city with a pro athlete as egotistical and downright horrible as E Kane, you experience things first hand, like my experience of him running out on a restaurant bill at my workplace 2 or 3 pages back. You're clearly Evander Kane's mother though so you'll no doubt defend him regardless.

Sent from my IPhone

25 minutes ago, IbanezRG said:

How about someone who actually lived in a small city with him words for it

How about you take my word for it. I lived in a small city with him and had first hand experience.

^^fixed for ya^^

9 minutes ago, IbanezRG said:

I'm saying living in a small city with a pro athlete as egotistical and downright horrible as E Kane, you experience things first hand, like my experience of him running out on a restaurant bill at my workplace 2 or 3 pages back. You're clearly Evander Kane's mother though so you'll no doubt defend him regardless.

Sent from my IPhone

so you are saying you don't know him and you weren't there at the time that picture was taken, but you say you once had a bad experience with him so he is obviously guilty and a horrible person. Well then i'm convinced, get the noose ready! like I said people like you are a cancer in society

15 minutes ago, IbanezRG said:

Sent from my IPhone

A bit over the top, no? How many NFLers and NBAers get into legal trouble every year? Evander has made some poor choices but I think you're exagerating a bit. 

As far as the unpaid tab goes, seems unlikely that a millionaire would do that. Who knows, maybe it happened? I can't assume that it did though.

Archived