The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should the Canucks pursue Evander Kane?

TheRussianRocket.

Poll  

569 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm sure he's done some stupid sh!t but I'll be the 1st to admit that I have too! But I'm not the guy I used to be. We live and then we hopefully learn. The most important thing you can do to make positive change is to surround yourself with positive people. If you hang with dirt bags then you're probably a dirt bag too. I think we have solid leadership on our team. Sedins, Hansen, Tanev, Edler, Miller, Horvat, Dorsett and now Gudy and Eriksson. Even guys like Etem, Baertschi and Biega seem like solid team 1st guys. So the pieces are in place for Kane to make a change if we were to acquire him. He'll have all the support in the world, not to mention from his own family and childhood friends that knew him before he gained all of this money and fame. So I say he's worth the gamble if the price is right.

3 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

It's an allegation, not cemented in stone. You can't take what she says for the truth and nothing but the truth lol.

...I'm pretty sure Patrick Kane's "victim" said worse things than that and we know how that ended..

Allegation or not, who needs these types of distractions around them on a professional team? No one. How about in any other professional setting, would you hire someone who's been called out on social media like this? Would you question their character or how they got themselves in this position? Does he deserve the chance to be heard and to defend himself? Absolutely, but let his current boss deal with that. I would want nothing to do with him and the trouble he drags around.

Guy is a legit dirt-bag IMO. It's been shown before with his flaunting of money stacks, being in legal trouble over alleged assaults, having teammates tossing his gear in the showers for not showing up/caring, partying and missing practice, etc. 

E. Kane is the last player I'd be interested in bringing into the mix of my team. He has and continues to dig his own grave. 

7 minutes ago, khay said:

Attitude problem aside, his cap hit is 5.25 mil for the next two seasons. If he doesn't work out next season, then we are stuck with his contract.

If he's salary is like 2-3 mil, maybe it's worth the risk. Not at 5.25.

You are crazy to think E Kane would be worth 2-3 mil. Thats like saying he is worth as much as Hansen with all due respect.

3 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

You are crazy to think E Kane would be worth 2-3 mil. Thats like saying he is worth as much as Hansen with all due respect.

I'm not saying he is worth 2-3 mil. I'm saying if his salary were that low, it's worth the risk to get him. If he doesn't work out, then we can bury him and his contract in the minor because his salary is only 2-3 mil. But for someone whose salary is 5-6 mil, that is not an option. We will be forced to use up a roster spot for a player that has negative effect on the team.

9 minutes ago, The Weasel said:

The sedins hinted at having an issue with at least one of the younger guys on the team this past season. Maybe Jared McCann?

Daniel was referring to the 19-year-old guys on the team so I guess it was Virtanen and McCann.

Here's what Daniel said: "You forget that they (rookies) are 19 years old, but we expect so much from them because we see it here and there. I look back. Where was I when I was 19? Back in Sweden. But there’s still a maturity level that needs to be there on a daily basis. We’ll take the mistakes, as long as they put the work in every day from each and every guy.”  

To their credit, both Virtanen and McCann agreed with Daniel.

Here's what Virtanen said, "It’s good. And he (Daniel) is absolutely right. The last push here, guys have to still battle. And we want to win. We don’t want our identity to be a losing one and the Sedins want to win. They want to be known when their careers are over that they were guys who never quit.”

Here's what McCann said, "You take it to heart. The young guys, we have to win battles and we can’t use our age as an excuse. He’s just pushing us to be better and we haven’t earned anything. The Sedins are perfect role models and I know they’re going to rub off on me and push me to be better.”

Buffalo is pretty much looking to give him away and be rid of him. The cost has to be at an all time low. Sbisa and a late pick or so, could honestly get it done. If Benning thinks coming home and being with character guys in the lockeroom can fix him, this could be the steal of his career. Imagine, Benning loses out on Lucic, so he brings in Kane, another hometown boy, as well as Eriksson, and Gudbranson. Kane is a PERFECT fit for us. I think coming home can straighten him out. With a motivated Kane, the Canucks could be dangerous for years to come.

Lets say a Sbisa-like trade does work. He's still only on the books for 2 seasons if the experiment fails. I think it's a good gamble to take. He knows that his gravy train and the 5+ million he was making is going to run out. The time is now to mature and take your job seriously, or risk/gaurantee, yourself losing out on millions of dollars every year for your career, even though you are one of the most talented stars under the age of 25. 

Kane for Sbisa+ a pick. Win for everyone

• Buffalo gets rid of Kane who isn't working there. Okposo takes his spot.
  • Buffalo gets an all around defensman to help their team
  • Vancouver gets a 24 year old speedy powerforward with grit int the top 6, with high potential
  • Kane comes home and is surrounded by family and loved ones to get his career on track
  • Kane gets 2 years to earn another contract, or play himself out of a job
  • Tryamkin steps up into bottom pairing role

It's honestly pretty low risk. with a potential to have crazy high dividends. Good investment to make. One last chance at redemption in your hometown can be exactly what Kane needs to turn it around. If he does, benning will look like a genius. I say pull the trigger.

5 minutes ago, khay said:

I'm not saying he is worth 2-3 mil. I'm saying if his salary were that low, it's worth the risk to get him. If he doesn't work out, then we can bury him and his contract in the minor because his salary is only 2-3 mil. But for someone whose salary is 5-6 mil, that is not an option. We will be forced to use up a roster spot for a player that has negative effect on the team.

If he's that bad of a guy, the team has the option of trading him while retaining to make it happen. If absolutely no team wants him even at that, then buy him out for the last year of his contract.

...it's 2 years not 10 :lol: 

This article shows another side to Kane (and provides some balance IMO): http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/evander-kane-problem-child/

Not saying the kid doesn't have problems.  But they might be a tad overblown.

And if Kane really is everything (bad) that gets said about him, maybe the best thing for him would be to come home to Vancouver and be around the stability of his family and childhood friends.

He's no angel and he carries some risk, but if the acquisition cost is low right now, I think Benning needs to seriously consider making the trade. Kane only has two years left on his deal (a contract which has zero trade/movement clauses attached), so it's not a huge commitment. And if things really go badly, he's still going to be movable because somebody will always take this type of player, regardless of reputation, if the price is right.

Kane is a 24 year old player with a rare set of skills and natural gifts. He's pretty much a guaranteed 20-20 scorer and might be a 30-30 guy if he gets back on track.

If the price is low right now, I think you have to roll the dice here and just hope for the best. The potential is too high to ignore and the fit here is better than probably any other team in the league.

I really think the Canucks provide the best chance for Kane to live up to his potential. And if he can do that, there's no question he'd be an excellent addition.

If youre Buffalo, and you gave up what you did for him and want to move him because youre sick of his drama, but also acknowledge his value on the ice...  What would you want in return for Evander Kane?

Last I heard his name was popping up in going to Colorado in a large deal for landeskog.

They might want to move him, but I dont think theyre looking to give him away.  Cant see them wanting anything off our roster that we could part with.

3 minutes ago, 70seven said:

If youre Buffalo, and you gave up what you did for him and want to move him because youre sick of his drama, but also acknowledge his value on the ice...  What would you want in return for Evander Kane?

Last I heard his name was popping up in going to Colorado in a large deal for landeskog.

They might want to move him, but I dont think theyre looking to give him away.  Cant see them wanting anything off our roster that we could part with.

Could you imagine if Buffalo can dump their mistake in onto Colorado, and get back a high Character player like Landescog?  That would be almost as lobs idled a trade as the Hall for Larson. B)

21 minutes ago, khay said:

Negative effect on the team?  Besides his off ice antics, he does produce on the ice therefore I dont believe the risk to be that high at 5.25. He would solidify our top 6.

1 minute ago, HOFsedins said:

Negative effect on the team?  Besides his off ice antics, he does produce on the ice therefore I dont believe the risk to be that high at 5.25. He would solidify our top 6.

He's really not a skilled player.  He can score, at times, but I wouldn't say he had soft hands.

23 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

If he's that bad of a guy, the team has the option of trading him while retaining to make it happen. If absolutely no team wants him even at that, then buy him out for the last year of his contract.

...it's 2 years not 10 :lol: 

If we are at a point where we say he is really that bad and we want to give him up, then I don't think anyone will want him even with retained cap. So I don't think retaining cap and trading him is a good option. 

You are right, it's 2 years not 10, so buyout maybe an option.

10 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I can't see that happening, the Avs trading their captain for a high risk forward? If Landeskog does get traded I believe it would be for a solid dman.

Archived