The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should the Canucks pursue Evander Kane?

TheRussianRocket.

Poll  

569 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 minutes ago, groovy said:

Pun intended? (spelling: colour, I believe)

The American spelling is color.  He's most likely American.

I'm American but I try to make sure that I spell things the same as the Brits/Canadians when I'm on a Canadian board.  I always get a kick out of the way "cheque" is spelled.  It's spelled "check" in the US.

28 minutes ago, Juolevi x 4 said:

I don't understand why you guys hate Kane.. he's one of the nicest people I've ever talked to. You got to get to know him rather than go off on what the media tells you because we all know the media hates African-American people.

The last time that I checked, he's African-Canadian.

I don't understand what the big deal is.  He's a good player on the ice.  Young, fast, big, and scores.  Exactly what we need.

its his off ice antics that turn ppl off.  But really, is that really a big deal? We are in the business of winning hockey games, not looking for a husband for your daughter.  Who cares if he has "character issues" or is "cancer to the room."

if a brand new young player can come into your change room, and change the strong ethical good characters that the team claims they have collectively so easily, then there's something wrong with the room to begin with.

Patrick Kane is a character, evader Kane is a problem.  Kobe Bryant a rapist, tiger woods a pervert.  But yet they win.

34 minutes ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Hmmm I say no

Has some talent seems from his totals but not earth shattering totals.

Poor attitude

Injury prone

Minus player (for what it's worth)

Ethical problems

Criminal problems

Just seems like the cons outweigh the pros

I'd pass

Craig MacTavish spent time in jail

Bob Probe also spent time in jail

Ed Jovanovski was in trouble in Windsor

Eric Lindos was in trouble in his early days

Doug Gilmour

The list goes on and on...

What did Kane do? Tell some bunny shark to get out of his face? Pushed his drunk gf into the car coz she was causing a scene and being lippy because of who she was with?

Ya Kane needs to get his crap together to avoid putting himself in these stupid positions but until YOU know what he has done....I say all is well

5 minutes ago, Renelsisc said:

I don't understand what the big deal is.  He's a good player on the ice.  Young, fast, big, and scores.  Exactly what we need.

its his off ice antics that turn ppl off.  But really, is that really a big deal? We are in the business of winning hockey games, not looking for a husband for your daughter.  Who cares if he has "character issues" or is "cancer to the room."

if a brand new young player can come into your change room, and change the strong ethical good characters that the team claims they have collectively so easily, then there's something wrong with the room to begin with.

Patrick Kane is a character, evader Kane is a problem.  Kobe Bryant a rapist, tiger woods a pervert.  But yet they win.

You are trolling, right? I mean, nobody sane would knowingly take a behaviour problem onto the team and say, in essence, I don't care what you do away from the rink, kid. Just win, baby. Benning was with Boston when they got rid of Seguin for his notoriety off-ice and then sent Kassian packing because of his lifestyle issues. Benning is an old school guy who has been around a long time. He knows the upheaval bad actors can cause to a team and he has proven he wants no part of them. Do you honestly think Benning would even consider taking Evander Kane?

28 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

You are trolling, right? I mean, nobody sane would knowingly take a behaviour problem onto the team and say, in essence, I don't care what you do away from the rink, kid. Just win, baby. Benning was with Boston when they got rid of Seguin for his notoriety off-ice and then sent Kassian packing because of his lifestyle issues. Benning is an old school guy who has been around a long time. He knows the upheaval bad actors can cause to a team and he has proven he wants no part of them. Do you honestly think Benning would even consider taking Evander Kane?

He said himself he looked into trading for him when he was on the block on Winnipeg.   Evander is the exact player Benning described trading for 2 days ago. I don't think it's out of the question.

3 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

I whole heartedly agree with this statement.

..especially the part about the Canucks having such character guys. If there is as much character on the roster as people say there is, let those guys take Evander under their wing, mentor him, and guide him the right way. 

I just don't get how people are completely against the notion of getting Kane. It's arguably the best "low risk, high reward" value you could possibly get at the moment across the league. The dividends would be huge if Evander cleans up his act and it's not a stretch asking him to do so again with the leaders/character guys on this team that would guide him, not to mention the self responsibility he would put on himself being back home infront of family+friends, wanting to recreate his image/not further damage it, and knowing this could arguably be his last chance at reviving his NHL career. 

...again, worst comes to worst you retain and trade him, he gets exposed to the expansion draft, you buy him out, or you can just burry him like how the team did with Vrbata towards the end of last season. It's just 2 years on the contract people!!!! Lol. The pros HEAVILY outweigh the cons considering what the team could benefit from this if it goes according to plan and if not, the options available to dismiss of the player would be straight forward and simple.

It all depends if Kane agrees to tone it down and concentrate on being a hockey player and not a wanna be gangster rapper.
Maybe he's acting up because Buffalo and Winnipeg are total dumps and he wants to come home. 

This forward core desperately needs 2x E.Kane type players tho thats for sure, its way too soft.

4 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Kane should be the #1 person we target

fills organizational needs perfectly

we have too many defenceman 

sbisa and 1st round pick next year

No way I throw in a 1st. We need our draft picks, we've traded away too many. So next years 1st is off the table. Sbisa, Zalewski and a 5th. Take it or leave it.

Not comparing the skill level of P.Kane and E.Kane. But everyone was all over P.Kane last summer due to his allegations, he got removed from the nhl 16 cover. The rumours turned out to be false, just some skanky women looking for a payout from a rich sports athelete, not the first definitely not the last time.

That all said, let the allegations play out, but yes I would have interest and likely Benning still would as he did before. I dont think he will come dirt cheap, but might come for a package of non impactful top end players or picks.

Sbisa-logical choice we have too many D

Hansen- hard to lose him but would fit well in Buffalo and has decent value

columbus 2nd round pick in 17/18 whenever they decide to cough it up

That package is more than fair for E.Kane given the circumstances. Would be interesting to know what he was offering to the Jets for him if it didnt include Horvat, McCann or Virtanen what was left to offer!

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Daniel - Henrik - Eriksson

Kane - Sutter - Virtanen

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Etem - Granlund - Dorsett/Burrows

Gaunce

Just do it Benning

I know it's just a paper line up at this point but WOW. That would be an epic offseason turnaround. 

Ugh so many naive people here. Kane would destroy this team from the inside out, he wouldn't mend as a team mate with the sedins, would be a horrid influence on our young players, especially virtanen who's additude was in question when he was drafted, but has been off to a great professional start, Kane gets on the team and you're going to start hearing about locker room arguments, irresponsible and I'll timed Vegas trips with the teams young players, lack of comradary- he would never fit in on Bennings plans and would just get hurt when he was most needed anyways.

whats the definition of insanity again? Because the amount of chances this kid has been given and has failed to capitalize on is starting to fall into that category.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

The American spelling is color.  He's most likely American.

I'm American but I try to make sure that I spell things the same as the Brits/Canadians when I'm on a Canadian board.  I always get a kick out of the way "cheque" is spelled.  It's spelled "check" in the US.

You are correct sir, about the American spelling. Kane, however, hails from the great city of Vancouver, which makes this a controversial topic to be sure.

Archived