The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Markstrom close to extension with Canucks

On ‎6‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 1:55 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Good point. Is this the last year of Miller's contract?

I think they're both UFA at the end of the year.

With the line of thinking we want to re-sign one, Marky. And have ridden the other till the end of the year. Or preferably the deadline.

Markstrom finished the year of strong. But he still is very unproven and with miller all but walking away or being dealt at the deadline that is when Markstrom is going to be tested when he is the only guy we are relying on to play most of the games.

I would be hesitant to go too big on a contract term and $ wise based on him being a backup. When we had Schneider he had a couple solid years behing Luongo before he got his $4m per contract. 

I would like the term to be 3yr and under 4m, something like 3yrs 3.75m per. Bit more $ than Tampa gave their young goalie but again he is a few years younger than JM. Markstrom is going to be a pending UFA so we likely will have to pay him 4m or more.

A very good comparison would probably be Jake Allen, been a good goalie, now he got his extension and now he is the GUY for the Blues after they dealt Elliott. Lets see how he responds to the pressure. I dont see the major rush to lock him up now, sure I get trying to get the cap hit lower than before he maybe goes on a tear but that could be said about any upcoming UFA.

ideal contract that would make most happy is 4x4m per. If all goes well Demko would be his backup for a couple years just like the Luongo SChneider combo. But this time around there wont be a goalie signed for eternity like Luu was

Its a good idea for management to get this done now, so that when the next offseason comes, Markstrom doesnt have us bent over a barrel, for a potential goalie for the next 3-4 years. Which would lead to an overpayment. 

3 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Its a good idea for management to get this done now, so that when the next offseason comes, Markstrom doesnt have us bent over a barrel, for a potential goalie for the next 3-4 years. Which would lead to an overpayment. 

I would hope he wants to be here and is willing to leave a bit on the table considering this team did somewhat salvage his career. 

Where he was at in Florida was close to being Europe bound. The Canucks put alot of time and money into his development. I hope he remembers that during negotiations and accepts a long term deal between 3-4 million.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I would hope he wants to be here and is willing to leave a bit on the table considering this team did somewhat salvage his career. 

Where he was at in Florida was close to being Europe bound. The Canucks put alot of time and money into his development. I hope he remembers that during negotiations and accepts a long term deal between 3-4 million.

totally expect management to go for that in negotiations. At least Me and you would. 

Just going to play devils advocate here....

I don't see why any goalie in this league should get more than 3 years in a buyers market unless he's at the top 10 in the position.

If he shows us he's a 60 game elite starter then I would gladly pay him 6 to 7 mill.  My gut says Demko takes the starter role within 3 years and the last thing we need is Markstrom on a 5 year deal at that point. 

3 year 10 mill is were I think he should slot in. I prefer the cap flexibility. 

• b3. locked this topic

Archived