The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Markstrom close to extension with Canucks

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

83 gp 3.00gaa and 904%sv and he deserves 5yr term @20mill? 

Id look at his stats from last season.  His time in Florida was a struggle with that D core.  Not saying ours was much better but I think thats a testimate to his growth as a netminder.  I look forward too seeing Marky carry us into the next era of canucks hockey!  Going to be a great tandum of Markstrom / Demko

The 'why pay a backup' comments are literally lost.

Anyone who thinks Markstrom will be a 'backup' when this extension kicks in have been paying literally zero attention.

One more year of platooning with Miller, Miller expires and it's Markstrom's crease.

He's proven himself the past few years - this is a "risk" the Canucks simply have to take.

No brainer.   Show him the comparable money.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The 'why pay a backup' comments are literally lost.

Anyone who thinks Markstrom will be a 'backup' when this extension kicks in have been paying literally zero attention.

One more year of platooning with Miller, Miller expires and it's Markstrom's crease.

He's proven himself the past few years - this is a "risk" the Canucks simply have to take.

No brainer.   Show him the comparable money.

Yup, we'll be signing/trading for an intermediate backup for him once Miller's gone until Demko's ready.

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

83 gp 3.00gaa and 904%sv and he deserves 5yr term @20mill? 

Do you remember the "defence" we had in front of him? Context matters. He stole multiple games for us last year that we had no business being in. Excited to see what he can do with a solid D-core in front of him. I'd be stoked on a 4m at 5 year term. It would be a steal of a contract for us.

15 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

Do you remember the "defence" we had in front of him? Context matters. He stole multiple games for us last year that we had no business being in. Excited to see what he can do with a solid D-core in front of him. I'd be stoked on a 4m at 5 year term. It would be a steal of a contract for us.

Bridge contract before longterm

12 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

3.5 x 3 years, or 4 x 4 years.  Just long enough for he and Demko to battle for the #1 spot. 

I would be fine with 4x4.  He's earned it and the timing is excellent for Demko coming on the scene and leaving Markstrom with value left as an asset if Demko develops into what we hope he's going to be.

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

No offence to Demko but once Miller is gone this guy will become one of our franchise players. 

Yup, the best goalies in the world traditionally take over as starters when well into their 30s... Such as Tim Thomas...and well others don't come to mind, but I'm sure there's lots 

2 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

Let's pay the kid $4.5m for being a good little backup then, shall we?

You should earn a contract. Markstrom's body of work is less than Andersen, Vasilevsky, Allen, Mrazek - he does not warrant a medium term contract at anything like the $4m-$4.5m being bandied about here.

Totally disagree. 

This potential extention makes perfect sense.  With Miller on an expiring contract JB is establishing a degree of 'cap certainty ' at the goaltending position. 

If he needs to overpay slightly to lock up JM for 3-4 years that's fine imo.  When JM has a stellar year he'll be secured for a reasonable price / term instead of becoming UFA to the open market where JB would be forced to match the undoubtedly stupid offers that would come his way.

This is a low risk,  high reward type extension - we essentially know exactly what we have. 

I have no problem with us signing him long term or around 4M per. Anyone who doesn't see what he can do are not paying attention. I'd rather go with him as the number 1 this year already. He's got what it takes and I believe he will actually take that starting job from Miller before christmas. I have a feeling Miller isn't quite what he used to be anymore and I'm not that big of a Millertime fan anyways.

5 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

I have no problem with us signing him long term or around 4M per. Anyone who doesn't see what he can do are not paying attention. I'd rather go with him as the number 1 this year already. He's got what it takes and I believe he will actually take that starting job from Miller before christmas. I have a feeling Miller isn't quite what he used to be anymore and I'm not that big of a Millertime fan anyways.

We could all see what Cody Hodgson could do. Look how that turned out. For a more appropriate comparison, Alex Auld.

Just for fun let's compare some goalies at age 26;

Markstrom 82 GP 26W

Luongo    342 GP 115W

Miller       66GP     36W

Rinne.     55GP     30W

Price       310GP   145W

clearly markstrom is on the path to be the best ever.

But seriously, he'll be lucky if he wins 100-125 games at the NHL level in his career. Let's pay him 30million over 6 years. Yay Canucks.Best Ever.

am I doing it right?

I disagree with almost everyone. I think he should get a 2 year deal. Only 2mil in first year, and less then 3mil in 2nd. He's a very good goalie, but he is still a backup for now. 2 mil pays him like a good backup, then he'll get a full season as the number 1. He will get his big contract according to how he does as a starter. Not how he does playing against the easier teams in which he's always rested and fresh.

5 minutes ago, BOHORVAT53 said:

I disagree with almost everyone. I think he should get a 2 year deal. Only 2mil in first year, and less then 3mil in 2nd. He's a very good goalie, but he is still a backup for now. 2 mil pays him like a good backup, then he'll get a full season as the number 1. He will get his big contract according to how he does as a starter. Not how he does playing against the easier teams in which he's always rested and fresh.

I prefer a 3 year bridge. He comes out the other end as a #1 and if he sticks he can get his payday. As much as he carried the team for an extended time I would like more games.

Archived