The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Markstrom close to extension with Canucks

There's zero competition outside of a potential free agent signing for Markstrom. That gives him some leverage. 

I'd imagine he gets 4x4.

14 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

He should probably get something close to what the Hurricanes gave Lack. Considering they both played in a similar situation with similar results. Lack got 2 years, 2.5M first and 3M second. I could see a 3 year deal of similar value.

Lack comparison doesn't really work. Lack signed to be a #2. Markstrom is signing to be a #1.

2 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

There's zero competition outside of a potential free agent signing for Markstrom. That gives him some leverage. 

I'd imagine he gets 4x4.

Lack comparison doesn't really work. Lack signed to be a #2. Markstrom is signing to be a #1.

Markstrom has never had a positive win/loss ratio in the NHL. Lack actually outperformed Markstrom in comparison at the same age. I stand by my prediction, similar contract value but 3 years.

3 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Lack signed in a contract to takeover for a lame duck past his glory goalie. He was expecited to split starts if not beat out the starter. Much like miller and marky

6 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Markstrom has never had a positive win/loss ratio in the NHL. Lack actually outperformed Markstrom in comparison at the same age. I stand by my prediction, similar contract value but 3 years.

It's totally possible he does get a comparable deal. I just think he's in a position that he can demand a little more. He's one season away from free agency and he's gotta know Demko is his only competition within the organization with Miller expiring at the same time as Markstrom and Demko is nowhere near ready.

Won't be surprised to see Marky get a 4x4 type deal. If he signs for less, that's awesome. I just think he's in a position of leverage.

4 years at 4 mil, or if we can really cheap out try for 3.75 per but I seriously doubt that, he looks like a serviceable starter not a game stealer but gives consistent effort and keeps you in games. I think he's gonna be stealing a lot more starts this season hopefully.

39 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

4 years at 4 mil, or if we can really cheap out try for 3.75 per but I seriously doubt that, he looks like a serviceable starter not a game stealer but gives consistent effort and keeps you in games. I think he's gonna be stealing a lot more starts this season hopefully.

Have to be careful with handing out contracts to "serviceable starter's". See: Ondrej Pavelec.

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Have to be careful with handing out contracts to "serviceable starter's". See: Ondrej Pavelec.

Good point. There is for sure a risk either way. Risk overpaying or risk him becoming elite then needing fork over dollars in 2 years if we choose a smaller prove yourself kinda deal. Small chance of the latter but a chance nonetheless. Interested to see how Benning handles this, either way people will find a way to be upset. :P 

On July 5, 2016 at 8:51 AM, Monty said:

I wish I was a goalie in the NHL with 59 games under my belt since being drafted 8 years ago. Even with sub par numbers I would be set for life.

This really hit home for me because I'm the same age as Jacob, and have done nothing the past 8 years as well! :P

That is absolutely insane to think about.  59 games played over 8 years. 

Goaltenders have to be a special breed. I mean, Marky was almost handed the reigns in Florida at age 21, but since he couldn't handle that load, it's taken another 5 years for him to get to this point. Kudos for sticking with it though.... man oh man...

But the resounding sentiment here is that he is still completely unproven. I personally believe in Marky, and I was one of few people that jumped up in excitement when I heard he was a piece coming back in the Luongo trade..

It just seems absurd that we're about to invest in a goalie that we STILL don't know where he maxes out. We're STILL paying because we liked the small sample, can realistically see him finding success in the future, and because you can never bet against a 6'6 monster in oversized equipment.

On 7/5/2016 at 9:43 AM, LaBamba said:

No offence to Demko but once Miller is gone this guy will become one of our franchise players. 

Why would Demko be offended if he becomes one of our franchise players?

Anyways...Markstrom, IMO, should be in line for a 3 year deal at $3.75M AAV.  That will take him to 31 years of age when he can cash in on a big deal as an UFA.  Probably with another team.

On 7/5/2016 at 9:29 AM, Harvey Spector said:

3 years at $3.5m is fair. Rememebr he's not actually the starter, Miller is. So he will go into the season as the back up. And this is an extension so it doesn't kick in until next year which means he would be signed for 4 more years. I think that's plenty enough to see what Demko can do. If Miller is gone next year and Demko is the back up then it's 3 years for Markie and Demko to pair up, which is plenty long enough to decipher who will be our number one moving forward. Also, if Demko needs more time in the minors then we could just sign a back up for a couple years next off season, so we'd still have some time for a Markstrom to Demko transition if that is what occurs. 

Either way it's great to have Markstrom in the fold for at least the next 4 years to either be the transition goalie between Miller and Demko or be our starter for the long haul. It's up to Demko to see which scenario plays out. 

Demko won't be the backup next year. Even Schneider spend 3 years in the ahl. Demo himself said he doesn't expect to be nhl ready for at least 2 years. If you've seen him play, you know he needs a bit of time in the ahl. He's incredibly athletic, and that's how he makes a lot of saves, but his positioning and technical side of his game need a lot of work. Luckily he'll have Melanson, the best in the business in those regards to work with. 

Mark should get 3 to 5 years and Demko should be with us in three years or so time.We have a few great tenders in the minors this year and we will see how good they are soon,so makstom will be like Miller now and teach them to be stars!!!

On July 5, 2016 at 2:11 PM, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Just for fun let's compare some goalies at age 26;

Markstrom 82 GP 26W

Luongo    342 GP 115W

Miller       66GP     36W

Rinne.     55GP     30W

Price       310GP   145W

clearly markstrom is on the path to be the best ever.

But seriously, he'll be lucky if he wins 100-125 games at the NHL level in his career. Let's pay him 30million over 6 years. Yay Canucks.Best Ever.

am I doing it right?

You can thank Florida personally for why Markstrom's where he is. They nearly destroyed his career completely by rushing him to the NHL well before he was ready. Threw him to the wolves. When we acquired him, he was damaged goods to the point where nobody took him on waivers. The Canucks had to spend literally over a year working with him to get his confidence and game back. Now that it's back though, he's showing why teams thought very highly of him after he was drafted. If Markstrom works on his glove side, he'll be a top 15 goalie in the league. In fact he was at one point last season, despite how bad our team defense was. While he's not "The best Canuck ever." His stats really don't tell the whole picture at all. Markstrom's gonna be a solid starter until Demko's developed. 

5 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

You can thank Florida personally for why Markstrom's where he is. They nearly destroyed his career completely by rushing him to the NHL well before he was ready. Threw him to the wolves. When we acquired him, he was damaged goods to the point where nobody took him on waivers. The Canucks had to spend literally over a year working with him to get his confidence and game back. Now that it's back though, he's showing why teams thought very highly of him after he was drafted. If Markstrom works on his glove side, he'll be a top 15 goalie in the league. In fact he was at one point last season, despite how bad our team defense was. While he's not "The best Canuck ever." His stats really don't tell the whole picture at all. Markstrom's gonna be a solid starter until Demko's developed. 

I think Demko will be an elite goalie as long as he makes that transition by 23ish, playing 20-25 games in his first season and transitioning into a 60-70 game guy the way Schneider did.

True elite goalies can handle "the wolves" at young ages. Markstrom will never be a top 10 goalie but he may become a respectable starter kind of like Brian Elliot was in Ottawa and St. Louis.

Archived