The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you buy into what management is selling?

Canuckler87

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If you don't have the players, who are you "developing".    If you do, what's the point of the tank?

What good is the unutilized cap space?  What's the point of saving it?   For what?

If you sign Eriksson, does that not hypothetically fit the goal of rebuilding/improving - even enable you to move another asset for a pick/prospect.

I keep hearing this sentiment - that it doesn't make sense to add Eriksson while rebuilding - I just haven't heard a very good rationalization for it.

He helps us go from bad to Ok. Like I said, this argument is pointless. We all think we are awesome. The truth will be told on the ice. Our rafters will either fill up or stay bare. I think the older you are the more tired you get of seeing the same thing over and over again. You know how any GM's have come into Vancouver telling everyone we are going to win now. I'll give you a hint. aLL of them. I ready for a fresh start. 

Well I was at the Canucks prospects development camp yesterday and overheard a conversation between Ian McIntyre, Dave Tomlinson and Canucks trainer Brian Hamilton on the work Jim Benning had put towards the Canucks. Apparently, Jim has always been active on the phones and has talked to 29 other GMs for weeks up until the draft to see if we can move up or down the draft and try to acquire more picks. Jim also puts a lot of thought in construct and make this team better. And it is these comments that made by these insiders that make me feel I am very confident at this current management and I am sure believe we are heading towards the right direction.

6 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

He helps us go from bad to Ok. Like I said, this argument is pointless. We all think we are awesome. The truth will be told on the ice. Our rafters will either fill up or stay bare. I think the older you are the more tired you get of seeing the same thing over and over again. You know how any GM's have come into Vancouver telling everyone we are going to win now. I'll give you a hint. aLL of them. I ready for a fresh start. 

This I disagree with.

The older you are the more you've seen the cycles - and the less it impacts you, or your expectations.  

Imo getting upset over things you've seen before is more a reaction of youth / the young minded.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

This I disagree with.

The older you are the more you've seen the cycles - and the less it impacts you, or your expectations.  

Imo getting upset over things you've seen before is more a reaction of youth / the young minded.

Not at all, these young guys don't even know what it was like before the Sedin's. I fully understand the cycles.  This is why I believe the journey to the bottom is inevitable. I'm not the one saying we can break the cycle and continue to win while we rebuild. I think we should embrace the cycle and take advantage of the bottom not do whatever we can to  delay it.  

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I am 50/50

Depending on the rumours of Benning potentially wanting another top 6 winger and the endless comments from industry insiders about management desiring and ownership demanding playoff runs with the twins still here BEFORE they commit to a true rebuild; I am swayed to say nope

40+ years of watching us shed depth and skilled youth for shots at the playoffs only to wallow in mediocrity for multiple seasons after has me very worried about more of the same

Recognize what the Toronto media is up to.  The Leafs and their fans have been beat up for years and now finally, they have the political will to clean house.   Shanahan has convinced the powers that be that they need to strip down the team from the front office on out.  They need to get rid of the entitled culture and start from the beginning......AND THE MEDIA IS SELLING IT!!! 

Who owns the Leafs?  Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment which is owned by Rogers Communications (37.5%) and Bell Canada (37.5%).  Rogers owns Sportsnet (100%) and Bell owns TSN (80%).

Which rebuilding Canadian team is not following the Leafs model?  The Canucks.  So TSN and Sportsnet bash the Canucks.

Don't ignore the fact that the Canucks are quietly becoming a pretty solid team.  They have good goaltending, a legit top 4 on D (with depth) and at least 4 of 6 of a top 6.....(jurys out on Baertschi).  The only major concern that I have left is the replacement of the top line when the Sedins retire.

Damn, Leafs ownership hopes the Canucks fail.

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

Not at all, these young guys don't even know what it was like before the Sedin's. I fully understand the cycles.  This is why I believe the journey to the bottom is inevitable. I'm not the one saying we can break the cycle and continue to win while we rebuild. I think we should embrace the cycle and take advantage of the bottom not do whatever we can to get delay it.  

Meh - there's an assumption that you have to hit bottom.  This team came close enough last year imo.  3rd last was satisfying enough.  And the right way to rebuild is not a cookie cutter - it's been done well and poorly in both the competing forms and every variation of.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Meh - there's an assumption that you have to hit bottom.  This team came close enough last year imo.  3rd last was satisfying enough.  And the right way to rebuild is not a cookie cutter - it's been done well and poorly in both the competing forms and every variation of.

How is what Jim Benning is doing different than the majority of the management teams of the last 100 years? I would say benning's methods are vintage. Definitely nothing anyone else tries anymore. 

8 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Hutton has played one season.

horvat was already on the roster when he came.

demko has yet to play an NHL game.

juolevi has yet to play an NHL game..

why don't you hype tryamkin while we're at it?

i get the idea behind this thread but you gave some weird reasons. All you did was point out the clubs best looking prospects....any gm could put that together with the picks they had and arguably more...

i dont like like how him benning traded shinkaruk and McCann seeing how we lack offence now and in the future. He solidified that fact drafting juloevi rather then tkachuk who is now destined to feast on us probably for a decade along side gaudreau and Monahan. There will be a lot of unhappy people in van city of this happens.

Yeah, Gaudreau, Monahan and Tkachuck will be feasting through a tube when they come face to face with Gudbranson and Tryamkin!  Think what you may but I will also enjoy watching Jeoulevi taking the puck off of Matt T for the next 10 years

33 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I'm 100% onboard with Benning and Linden and trust that they are doing everything they can to improve this club while injecting a winning culture. In Benning and Linden I trust!!

Yup, they're building a tough team from the net out..

6 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Far cry from 6x6, they also have the Stronger core. Those are just complementary pieces. 

so you are OK with 5x6 for complementary players of 34/35 years old but not ok with 6x6 for a top line winger at 30?

6 minutes ago, blackpluto96 said:

so you are OK with 5x6 for complementary players of 34/35 years old but not ok with 6x6 for a top line winger at 30?

Not when you finish 3rd last. Is this really so complex? 

7 hours ago, xereau said:

Benning's biggest achievement is the oft touted and rarely fully understood "culture change".

He turfed the selfie posting, twitter bombing primadonnas, and brought in honest character guys.

This will be his legacy:  Undoing Mike Gillis' New Age Country Club.

What are you talking about?:bigblush:

image.jpeg

8 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Hutton has played one season.

horvat was already on the roster when he came.

demko has yet to play an NHL game.

juolevi has yet to play an NHL game..

why don't you hype tryamkin while we're at it?

i get the idea behind this thread but you gave some weird reasons. All you did was point out the clubs best looking prospects....any gm could put that together with the picks they had and arguably more...

i dont like like how him benning traded shinkaruk and McCann seeing how we lack offence now and in the future. He solidified that fact drafting juloevi rather then tkachuk who is now destined to feast on us probably for a decade along side gaudreau and Monahan. There will be a lot of unhappy people in van city of this happens.

The shink trade was on par or even slightly better for us. Dont believe me look at Granlunds stats for Finland this past world cup. He killed it guy has just asuch or more and deffinetly more proven offencive upside than shink. Who I was a big fan and hoped he got more of a chamce but still not a bad trade at all. And Mccann for Guddy. Wow the o ly thing that is worse than our offence coming up im the next years is our sh!t d. So adding 24 year old top 4 d man... Dont see how you complain there. Mccann was tiny like our size and offensive output. Id make that trade over again and again and again. Im on board fully. I think this team can compete and if we fi ish low once more fine but good to come no doubt! Next 3 years is gonna be a changing time but a quick change I believe !! You should too

Just now, blackpluto96 said:

Signing a major piece to keep improving the team and try to make the playoffs, is this so complex to understand?

I'm not arguing this for the 247th time. If you wanna argue with me do it virtually. Go through the other 97 rebuild related threads and pretend your one of the other 11 posters who told me the exact some thing 3,000 times. Everything I'm going to say and everything your going to say is already scattered all over the CDC

I think I have wasted enough internet on the subject for today. 

Archived