The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler or Tanev

VIC_CITY

Edler or Tanev  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Turned out to be some great reads in this thread. Thanks to those that participated. In my own humble opinion, Edler is the expendable one. This isn't some hate on the guy, as I think our season collapsed the moment he did last February. It's just my take. 

He's older. We (hopefully) have a future replacement for Edler in Juolevi. Now that's no guarantee. But it's got some bearing on this conversation. One could argue we have that replacement for Tanev right now in Gudbranson, but my take on that is that we don't have the offence as of yet to offset a poor defence. Defensive defenceman right now mean more to this team than two-way or offensive minded ones.  

Benning has has done a tremendous job in shoring up some holes and creating some competition amongst our defence this off season. Whether it's enough to make the playoffs and beyond remains to be seen. 

To close, Tanev is younger and is better at his role than Edler is. I think Edler is going to have a good season coming up, and assuming we're on the bubble at TDL, we're able to secure some good prospects and/or picks for him. If we're in the hunt, I certainly hope and expect the Canucks to keep him on.

I'd highly consider Tanev for Landy. We'd have a problem on D though unless Larson could magically come in and be Ehrhoff 2.0. 

Edler/Gudbranson is not an over complimentary pair IMO. Then again, I've never been a huge fan of Edler and Tanev either (Edler pairs FAR better with a guy who has some, ANY offensive ability).

41 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'd highly consider Tanev for Landy. We'd have a problem on D though unless Larson could magically come in and be Ehrhoff 2.0. 

Edler/Gudbranson is not an over complimentary pair IMO. Then again, I've never been a huge fan of Edler and Tanev either (Edler pairs FAR better with a guy who has some, ANY offensive ability).

I really like that 1st sentence. The Canucks don't need another d-man to replace Tanev, that's the nice part about the Landeskog trade. They would benefit more from a player who could take the offensive load off of Edler and let Edler play a more defensive role, something he's more suited to. The team dipped hard when we lost Ehrhoff and never replaced him, and I still hold fast that that is the reason we never resurged as contenders. Attaining Subban for anyone other than Horvat would have been monumental.

On August 23, 2016 at 7:54 PM, 5Fivehole0 said:

I really like that you keep stating the stats like that. Twisting them to look bad. Check this out.

Edler has been on pace for 33 points each season despite a weak powerplay and a non offensive partner. 

Exactly what you said, but I skewed it the way you do, only I made him seem much better.

The difference between Tryamkin and Edler is..... Edler is a bonafide top pairing NHL hockey player, where as Tryamkin is not... Tryamkin also has the potential to run back to Russia. He also has the potential to become nothing more than a depth man. Big T also the potential to be injury prone, or get a lot of suspensions. 

You're speculating, that's it, and to you, that means he's better than Edler because he's younger. 

IF Juolevli delivers. If, potential, future, etc. Not now, and a bunch of maybes. Exactly what we traded McCann for. Uncertainty for certainty. 

Trading Edler for a top prospect is what we did with Gudbranson, except the price for Edler will be much higher than McCann + mid round picks. I would hope so at least.

Finally, you can't say all those ifs and potentials and then say definitely, that makes no sense and is just a poor way of acting like you put up sound proof of point

I'm not saying that you are completely wrong, I'm just saying you're not right.

And Tryamkin could also be the next Chara...forget to look at the potential from the optimistic side of the fence as well didn't ya...

12 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I really like that 1st sentence. The Canucks don't need another d-man to replace Tanev, that's the nice part about the Landeskog trade. They would benefit more from a player who could take the offensive load off of Edler and let Edler play a more defensive role, something he's more suited to. The team dipped hard when we lost Ehrhoff and never replaced him, and I still hold fast that that is the reason we never resurged as contenders. Attaining Subban for anyone other than Horvat would have been monumental.

That's certainly a compelling argument in favor of such a move. I still think it leaves our top 4 D presently shorthanded though. But it would serve our forward group both presently and in the future as we're still shy some future (and present) top 6 forwards.

So long as the main guys pan out, we should now have enough D depth for a future top 4 even without Tanev (Juolevi, Gudbranson, Hutton, Tryamkin...never mind any surprises that may pan out from Subban, Stetcher, Brisebois, Pedan etc). Or guys we'll add over the next couple years, UFA's etc.

Pain now, gain later. 

I doubt management is willing to make that sacrifice though given their 'remain competitive' mantra. It's likely too soon to rip that band-aid off.

A future 2nd line of Landeskog, Horvat, Virtanen sure does look good though... That would just leave us a future 1C to find in the next couple years...

Something like:

Baer, ___, Boeser

Landeskog, Horvat, Virtanen

Etem, Gaunce, TBD

Zalewski, Cassels, Grenier

Edit: Colorado also sounds like they want to see what their group can do with a new coach. Don't think this happens this year given that and our present concerns on D. However if Hutton and Tryamkin have good years, Juolevi is looking close (ready for 17/18?). Perhaps that's something that could happen next summer...

11 hours ago, harrytoolips said:

And Tryamkin could also be the next Chara...forget to look at the potential from the optimistic side of the fence as well didn't ya...

I'm hesitant to say he'll be the next Chara, which is a comparison that is strictly based on height. But based on what we saw from him last year coming over from the KHL with basically no North American experience, he has massive potential.

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'm hesitant to say he'll be the next Chara, which is a comparison that is strictly based on height. But based on what we saw from him last year coming over from the KHL with basically no North American experience, he has massive potential.

Yeah I'm all for tempered expectations but boy did he look tantalizing in that little window we saw him... :wub:

Raw for sure but...

7 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Tryamkin will forge his own path. I love that he dispelled the comparisons to Chara right away.

He's going to have a breakout season this year. What impressed me about him initially was that he didn't immediately attempt to be a physical force on the ice, but was patient in listening and learning to teammates. He used his size and wingspan to break up odd man rushes, and boxed out the opposition.

Although when he managed the Ducks offense during that game, it was a great sight to behold. Totally got Getzlaf off his game. Would have loved to have seen the refs let Getzlaf get his ass kicked though.

24 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yeah I'm all for tempered expectations but boy did he look tantalizing in that little window we saw him... :wub:

Raw for sure but...

Totally raw, but the potential was clear as day. I remember just before he came over and everyone was throwing out the Chara comparisons. I was like ok, let's be a little more realistic here. There's no way in hell this 3rd round pick is going to be the next Chara. But then he came in and held his own, showing glimpses of a player that can be physically dominant. He also skated much better than I thought for a player his size. Sticking with the Chara comparison, he is actually much more developed than Chara was at that age. So that's pretty damn encouraging news. Once he gets used to the NA ice surface, he thickens out a bit and his skating gets a little more polished, the sky is the limit. I don't want to get ahead of myself but it's hard to imagine a world where he becomes Marek Malik 2.0. His ceiling is MUCH higher IMO. Makes you wonder why he fell to the 3rd round when plenty of Russians are taken much higher.

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

Totally raw, but the potential was clear as day. I remember just before he came over and everyone was throwing out the Chara comparisons. I was like ok, let's take be a little more realistic here. There's no way in hell this 3rd round pick is going to be the next Chara. But then he came in and held his own, showing glimpses of a player that can be physically dominant. He also skated much better than I thought for a player his size. Sticking with the Chara comparison, he is actually much more developed than Chara was at that age. So that's pretty damn encouraging news. Once he gets used to the NA ice surface, he thickens out a bit and his skating gets little more polished, the sky is the limit. I don't want to get ahead of myself but it's hard to imagine a world where he becomes Marek Malik 2.0. His ceiling is MUCH higher IMO. Makes you wonder why he fell to the 3rd round when plenty of Russians are taken much higher.

Yup, even if he 'just' becomes a really good #3-4D (which I think is quite reasonable if/when he can polish his game), we're WAY ahead of the game.

10 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Totally raw, but the potential was clear as day. I remember just before he came over and everyone was throwing out the Chara comparisons. I was like ok, let's be a little more realistic here. There's no way in hell this 3rd round pick is going to be the next Chara. But then he came in and held his own, showing glimpses of a player that can be physically dominant. He also skated much better than I thought for a player his size. Sticking with the Chara comparison, he is actually much more developed than Chara was at that age. So that's pretty damn encouraging news. Once he gets used to the NA ice surface, he thickens out a bit and his skating gets a little more polished, the sky is the limit. I don't want to get ahead of myself but it's hard to imagine a world where he becomes Marek Malik 2.0. His ceiling is MUCH higher IMO. Makes you wonder why he fell to the 3rd round when plenty of Russians are taken much higher.

Nobody thought he would play in North America, is why. I do believe a huge draw for Tryamkin to play in Vancouver is him wanting to be the next Bure, which makes me assume he was a Bure fan.

He wants to be the next great Russian in Vancouver.

43 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Nobody thought he would play in North America, is why. I do believe a huge draw for Tryamkin to play in Vancouver is him wanting to be the next Bure, which makes me assume he was a Bure fan.

He wants to be the next great Russian in Vancouver.

How big would that be for this market? They're 2 totally different players but we haven't really had another Russian since Bure. A lot needs to happen still but this city could absolutely fall in love woth Tryamkin...

11 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Edler.

Dude is criminally underrated on these boards and Tanev gets treated like the second coming of Christ.

That's because as good as Edler is when he's on his game, when he's off he's really bad, the giveaways are a lot more than they record on the stats, I watch a lot of games....Tanev is just more of a steady presence....

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 9:16 PM, VIC_CITY said:

How big would that be for this market? They're 2 totally different players but we haven't really had another Russian since Bure. A lot needs to happen still but this city could absolutely fall in love woth Tryamkin...

What makes you think we aren't already

32 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

What makes you think we aren't already

Because we aren't 15 year olds falling in love with the 1st girl that shows the slightest bit of interest in us. Let's give it a few months before we start confessing our love haha.

Edler obviously is the better player.. he has far superior offense to tanev.. and not THAT horrible on defense if given a capable partner.. on the other hand Tanev is great at defensive.. he has 0 offense to offer.. Edler can play in all the roles PP PK 5v5 vs Tanev whos really use is only PK and defensive shutdown.. you wouldn't put him out there if your team needs a goal with the season on the line

14 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Edler obviously is the better player.. he has far superior offense to tanev.. and not THAT horrible on defense if given a capable partner.. on the other hand Tanev is great at defensive.. he has 0 offense to offer.. Edler can play in all the roles PP PK 5v5 vs Tanev whos really use is only PK and defensive shutdown.. you wouldn't put him out there if your team needs a goal with the season on the line

Interesting. But the real question is, who you would play on a 3 on 3 overtime?

btw, there is no thread about the mediocre 3 on 3 overtime play. why? 

3 hours ago, the harry said:

Interesting. But the real question is, who you would play on a 3 on 3 overtime?

btw, there is no thread about the mediocre 3 on 3 overtime play. why? 

if it's with the sedins.. you toss out Tanev.. just coz the 2 sedins just glides back to the defensive zone.. or just goes to the bench when the play goes the other way.. seen it too often lol

Archived