The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Opinion on new car?

NucksPatsFan

So I'm getting a new car some time this week [purchasing, not leasing, unless it's lease-to-buy], but don't know which one yet.

Not looking to get anything fancy or high end, just care that it's reliable and has the gadgets on the inside that I want [gps, handsfree, etc] 

So far I'm thinking the 2016 Civic Touring turbo edition. But I've also looked into the Audi Q3 [SUV style, but doesn't have navigation in it's base package], 2016 Hyundai Tucson [Suv], 2016 GMC Terrain and the 2016 Camry XSE.

All brand new are under 30k except the Audi which is 33 or 34k. 

Any opinions on those 5? Any other suggestions? Trying to keep it under 34k. 

Depends on what you are willing to fork up for gas. The consumption is going to be the highest with the SUVs (I would imagine the Audi or the GMC would be the highest). My preference would probably be the Civic. The turbo would consume a little more gas than the Camry I would imagine but it is a little more sporty. It also depends what you will be doing in the car. If you are throwing ski's or snowboards in the back the Civic or Camry may not be the most practical.

I'd recommend a 15/16/17 VW Jetta diesel. Have it and have had no problems at all. Just keep getting it serviced as you would with any other car and you're chillaxin n maxin.

Has it all really. Phenomenal handling, very spacious (can actually seat 3 in the back without being squished together), big trunk, kicks ass on the highway (fuel efficient af), and diesel powered is the cherry on top. Can't emphasize enough how smooth it drives...you'll be driving 120 and won't tell the difference if you were at city speed. Accelerates instantly and effortlessly. Brakes without a sweat. Feels very very comfortable when sitting inside. Not to mention the safety is zero to none. 

Can't go wrong with German engineering. Give it a look whenever you have the time :) 

You're considering several vehicles in completely different classes.  

Perhaps you should ask yourself what specifically you need the vehicle to be able to do for you besides the required tech features you mentioned  (essentially every new vehicle will have comparable technology if you're willing to pay for it).

As someone who personally just bought a brand new vehicle last month - it's never been a better time to be vehicle shopping. You have so many choices and online information on each one is endless. 

Define your needs first and the choices will present themselves quickly. 

Good luck to you. 

41 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Depends on what you are willing to fork up for gas. The consumption is going to be the highest with the SUVs (I would imagine the Audi or the GMC would be the highest). My preference would probably be the Civic. The turbo would consume a little more gas than the Camry I would imagine but it is a little more sporty. It also depends what you will be doing in the car. If you are throwing ski's or snowboards in the back the Civic or Camry may not be the most practical.

Looking at the Litres per 100km, the vehicles aren't too far off, though GMC does have the highest at 11, so it's out of the question. 

The car for the most part is mostly for travelling to work, gym, social outings, hikes. Down the road in the spring and summer I drive often to Whistler and the Interior. I do snowboard but I just throw my board inside the car.

34 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

I'd recommend a 15/16/17 VW Jetta diesel. Have it and have had no problems at all. Just keep getting it serviced as you would with any other car and you're chillaxin n maxin.

Has it all really. Phenomenal handling, very spacious (can actually seat 3 in the back without being squished together), big trunk, kicks ass on the highway (fuel efficient af), and diesel powered is the cherry on top. Can't emphasize enough how smooth it drives...you'll be driving 120 and won't tell the difference if you were at city speed. Accelerates instantly and effortlessly. Brakes without a sweat. Feels very very comfortable when sitting inside. Not to mention the safety is zero to none. 

Can't go wrong with German engineering. Give it a look whenever you have the time :) 

Where'd you get it and how much? Just browsed their website and the only options for every trim for 2016 Jetta is gas. 

24 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

You're considering several vehicles in completely different classes.  

Perhaps you should ask yourself what specifically you need the vehicle to be able to do for you besides the required tech features you mentioned  (essentially every new vehicle will have comparable technology if you're willing to pay for it).

As someone who personally just bought a brand new vehicle last month - it's never been a better time to be vehicle shopping. You have so many choices and online information on each one is endless. 

Define your needs first and the choices will present themselves quickly. 

Good luck to you. 

Travelling to work, gym and social outings. Drives to Whistler and the Interior (and possibly further road trips such as Alberta or California in the summers). The only reason I added SUV's to consideration is because they're of equal price. 

14 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Where'd you get it and how much? Just browsed their website and the only options for every trim for 2016 Jetta is gas. 

Got it at the beginning of last year from downtown. 2015 version. All loaded. Cost $30K.

Was essentially in the same predicament as you when I got the Jetta. Didn't want to get a high end car nor a lower end one and the VW was the perfect compromise. Something that works very well and gives you that luxury/sports look/feel while not having to pay the high end bucks.

Edit: btw being in BC, do not get an SUV. Filling up the tank that often at the prices we have will make your blood boil everytime considering the price range you're aiming for and the use you'll have for your eventual vehicle.

1 minute ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Got it at the beginning of last year from downtown. 2015 version. All loaded. Cost $30K.

Was essentially in the same predicament as you when I got the Jetta. Didn't want to get a high end car nor a lower end one and the VW was the perfect compromise. Something that works very well and gives you that luxury/sports look/feel while not having to pay the high end bucks. 

So that must be before dieselgate, if you got it new.  Am I wrong that you can no longer buy a new TDI?

Just now, Neversummer said:

So that must be before dieselgate, if you got it new.  Am I wrong that you can no longer buy a new TDI?

Yep hehehe. Don't blame them for trying to save a $&!#ton of $ but they got caught at the end of the day. Still, German engineering - no way you can go wrong B) 

I'm not sure about that tbh :/ 

35 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Couple really big questions that will narrow down your choices considerably :

1.  Do you need AWD?

2.  How much space do you need for passengers/cargo.

Answer these two and you'll eliminate/include many options right off the bat.

Don't need all wheel drive, unless we have as bad a winter as apparently predicted lol. 

Just 2 passengers in the back, odd camping gear during camping trips, etc. 

28 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

Then maybe if NPF is open to slightly used, an Audi A3 TDI, like this - http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ctd/5650829478.html

00m0m_cmPFrQClyKp_600x450.jpg

Not really feeling a car that's already got 50 clicks on it. Bought my last car used and it was an 03 and I've had it for for the last 9 years and it's over 200km. Just wanting to start fresh.

1 minute ago, sonoman said:

German engineering is great and all, but be prepared for steep repair bills once warranty is over.  Audi, BMW, Mercedes are very expensive to repair. 

True,  and they suffer bad depreciation.   

Subaru & Lexus, while not glamorous makes, are the best brands for overall resale - if that is a factor at all for the OP. 

Archived