The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kris Versteeg to become a free agent again

billabong

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Edmonton could probably use his leadership

Now, that's something you don't hear too often...Versteeg being associated with providing leadership.  Was that a bit of sarcasm that passed me by, hippy?  Versteeg has always struck me as a passenger on the bus who contributes here and there.

I was surprised when he made it to the NHL. I was living in Lethbridge when he was playing for the Hurricanes. Went to a lot of games. He was a floater and a cherry picker. Great shooter though. Played with no grit. Seemed very selfish player. Then he shows up in the NHL playing with some hustle and grit. He seems to have regressed a bit to his WHL ways. If he is willing to play the style he did when he first came up to the NHL, then a contact offer would be worth it. It's just a question of how hungry to be in the NHL is he?

1 hour ago, John McClane said:

I was surprised when he made it to the NHL. I was living in Lethbridge when he was playing for the Hurricanes. Went to a lot of games. He was a floater and a cherry picker. Great shooter though. Played with no grit. Seemed very selfish player. Then he shows up in the NHL playing with some hustle and grit. He seems to have regressed a bit to his WHL ways. If he is willing to play the style he did when he first came up to the NHL, then a contact offer would be worth it. It's just a question of how hungry to be in the NHL is he?

I agree with you he does seem like a player who requires the right motivation.   I dont see him having that here since we arent really expected to do much in the standings.  So Id just let our youth fill the role.

If Benning can get Versteeg on a reasonable 1 year deal it's a no brainer. If playoffs are out of the picture prior to the TDL, give him some time with the Sedins, let them bank a few in off his skates, create some sort of value and flip him at the deadline.

39 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If people didn't want Hudler, don't know why they would want another soft player who's not as skilled.

I would've loved to see Hudler as well but this is another low risk bargain. I imagine Hudler preferred to go to a contender to as well. Verteegs left things a little last minute like remembering it's Valentines Day when you wake up as you crawl into bed on February 13th. :huh:

I love how everyone here is saying we don't need him.

We are one of the worst teams in the league - we need anyone we can get!  If they are an NHL-caliber player - we need them.  Period.  And we need them desperately.  A good portion of our team is only AHL-caliber right now.  A humongous portion.

We are no longer in a position where we can pick and choose.  Anyone with a choice will choose anywhere but Vancouver (as we've been seeing all summer long).  We are extremely lucky that Loui was such good friends with the Sedins (and wanted to play with them so badly he was willing to go to a terrible team to do it).  That sort of thing isn't going to happen very much over the next couple of years.

47 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

I love how everyone here is saying we don't need him.

We are one of the worst teams in the league - we need anyone we can get!  If they are an NHL-caliber player - we need them.  Period.  And we need them desperately.  A good portion of our team is only AHL-caliber right now.  A humongous portion.

We are no longer in a position where we can pick and choose.  Anyone with a choice will choose anywhere but Vancouver (as we've been seeing all summer long).  We are extremely lucky that Loui was such good friends with the Sedins (and wanted to play with them so badly he was willing to go to a terrible team to do it).  That sort of thing isn't going to happen very much over the next couple of years.

Flat out wrong and it's comedic how wrong you are.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Burrows - Sutter - Rodin

Bae - Bo - Hansen

Etem - Granlund - Dorsett

Gaunce/Virtanen

Who is AHL caliber in this line-up? The only one who really is is probably Burrows and Etem, and even that's a stretch. Where did you get this "a good protion of our team is ONLY AHL-CALIBER". What a joke, did you get that from the defensemen?

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Larsen

Tryamkin/Pedan/Biega

Who here? You going to make the same old "sbisa sucks he should be in the AHL" joke that literally makes no sense whatsoever? Even then, that's 1/7. If you're really counting Pedan/Biega when they're our 8th/9th defenseman, then you're foolish to think we can have 8/9 top 6 defensemen, because that's literally impossible in today's NHL.

This fan base is crazy. Have you seen Versteeg play? Did you know that he's probably one of the laziest players out there right now? Or do you just remmeber him from his Blackhawk days when he was scoring 50, which was like 5/6 years ago..........

Who is AHL caliber in this line-up?

Wait, you think that Pedan, Biega, Larsen, and Gaunce are NHL-caliber today/last-year???  Not to mention Etem, Dorsett and Tryamkin (who are bubble players or AHL'ers on any other team).  Heck, even Granlund's stats scream AHL (although, granted, he's a bit better than his stats would indicate).

And, I see you forgot to include Jayson Megna too.  Odd that you'd do that, seeing as he's on a one-way contract this upcoming year, so we'll be paying him as if he was a full-time NHL'er.

That's not just a few AHL-caliber players - that's a good portion of our lineup!

Archived