The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Hiring] Canucks hire Malhotra

thejazz97

32 minutes ago, nux_win said:

It's not necessarily true that if you have a particular skill that you can teach it to others effectively, but it certainly doesn't hurt and it does improve one's chances of being able to do that.  Let's hope that this is our ticket to better, well, you know what I'm talking about.  Welcome back Manny!

Was going to write almost the same thing. I am happy to have Malhotra back and I hope that he can help with face-offs and defensive play more broadly. But guys who excel at something are rarely the best teachers. Teaching is a different skill and the best performers in any area are often "naturals" -- they did not have to learn things the hard way. And I think face-off skill is hard to teach in any case -- easier than teaching size, but still not easy.

However, I would like to see Malhotra work with guys like Etem  and Virtanen. Both those guys have size, strength, speed and toughness but many not  a high enough hockey IQ. But if they could learn to play shutdown they could be valuable 3rd liners.

I am of course hopeful that both Virtanen and Etem develop into top 6 scoring wingers. But it is nice to have a plan B. Looking down the road to next year (2017-18), a third line of Sutter, Etem, and Virtanen would provide a lot of speed, size, and toughness -- a nice line to have as a shut down line if Etem and Virtanen could learn to play shut down. That would leave room for  a second line of Horvat, Baertschi and Boeser as a scoring line.   

Great news for the Canucks.  Looks like Manny is leaving the past in the past and moving on to bigger and better things.

I think the players and prospects are going to like having a heart and soul guy (not to mention very structured) working with them while the team rebuilds or retools or whatever we are calling it this month.

21 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Was going to write almost the same thing. I am happy to have Malhotra back and I hope that he can help with face-offs and defensive play more broadly. But guys who excel at something are rarely the best teachers. Teaching is a different skill and the best performers in any area are often "naturals" -- they did not have to learn things the hard way. And I think face-off skill is hard to teach in any case -- easier than teaching size, but still not easy.

Usually I would agree, but not in this case.

Faceoffs are more technical and strategic, making them easier to teach someone and help them improve. Malholtra should be able to watch them for a while and pick out things like positioning to make them more balanced and stronger, what to watch for when the linesman is about to drop the puck, what stance to use against specific opponents, things like that.

When I agree with you, it's more along the lines of Gretzky trying to teach people how to score. To teach something that is so spontaneous and creative, something that takes perfect instincts, from a teacher that comes by in so naturally. It doesn't work.

Can never have enough QUALITY human beings in your organization. All Class, All Heart, A leader, brings incredible intangibles, experience, professionalism and knowledge to our group.

This is how you build a winner -with people like this. Well done TL and team for bringing Manny back into the fold. It's weird, he only had a short stay in Van but he means so much to this organization and the fans (as witnessed by how the fans reacted to MG on Manny's exit and here now). He is the epitome of a Canuck, much like Linden is - an important role model of the youngins!

Love it! Welcome Home Manny!

Not sure where all this doubt about Malhotra's ability to teach face offs comes from. Before he was with the Canucks, he lead his teams on face offs, and more importantly, his team's centremen saw a sharp rise in fo win percentage (and an inevitable drop after he left). He can definitely teach faceoffs, if not more. His defensive play as a 3rd line shutdown/PK centreman is also underrated, as most people only mention his faceoff skills.

Not just face offs.  Guy was super fit and had tons of leadership.  His first unofficial practices with the guys when he was signed and he was already leading drills.

Great for the youngsters to have a guy like that to work with.

i expect he will be working with the checking and PK guys as well as face offs,

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Not just face offs.  Guy was super fit and had tons of leadership.  His first unofficial practices with the guys when he was signed and he was already leading drills.

Great for the youngsters to have a guy like that to work with.

i expect he will be working with the checking and PK guys as well as face offs,

Good interview watch it, he talked about working with the centermen in the circle, and young players to help them learn systems etc. He's basically a "Sedin" type leader off the ice which really helps our leadership group. It takes some of the pressure of that group to continue to focus on their own games and not also carry the young players as much in practice etc. I am sure they still will but adding this type of person will really help!

I can see Manny stepping into Utica if / when Green leaves for either here (ie Willie goes) or if he leaves for elsewhere. My guess is that is likely a consideration as a potential plan long term.

19 minutes ago, Forsy said:

Not sure where all this doubt about Malhotra's ability to teach face offs comes from. Before he was with the Canucks, he lead his teams on face offs, and more importantly, his team's centremen saw a sharp rise in fo win percentage (and an inevitable drop after he left). He can definitely teach faceoffs, if not more. His defensive play as a 3rd line shutdown/PK centreman is also underrated, as most people only mention his faceoff skills.

who's doubting? whomever is, is on crack, the dude was a 60% faceoff man for alot of his career- those are ABSURD numbers. He clearly has strong technique and knows how to win draws, its not just reaction time! LOL

anyone saying that doesn't get much about hockey

Archived