The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Philip Larsen | #63 | D

-SN-

8 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Only tanking I do is high-tanking.

Seriously though I cannot fathom why he is playing over Biega or even Subban.  It's one thing to suck like a shop-vac on nitrous, it's another to drag your teammates down.  He flat out does not belong in the NHL.

Wow I know of supporting a player but at the rest of the teams expense? just weird how he does that.

On 12/29/2016 at 10:18 AM, Alflives said:

All real Canuck's fans love Trevor Linden.  I don't know if he's just a figurehead, or a President.  

Yeah, Linden is my guy. For all the charitable work he's done in this city would think people might give him the benefit of the doubt when something like this happens.

On 2/2/2017 at 1:54 PM, Tre Mac said:

Why are they playing him?  He was terrible vs. Arizona and hasn't been the least bit effective all year.  This was a bad acquisition, time to move on.  Are they really worried someone will nab him off waivers?  I dog gone don't get it.

Huh? Larrson is back?WTF?!

On 2/2/2017 at 1:54 PM, Tre Mac said:

Why are they playing him?  He was terrible vs. Arizona and hasn't been the least bit effective all year.  This was a bad acquisition, time to move on.  Are they really worried someone will nab him off waivers?  I dog gone don't get it.

Someone grabbing him off waivers would be addition by subtraction,.  There's no room in the NHL for a defenseman who can't play defense and unfortunately the moron we have coaching refuses to stick Larsen in the press box where he belongs. 

Even in an absolute emergency there's no excuse for playing this piece of trash.

I think our whipping-boy/scapegoat players are seldom as bad as media and certain fans make them out to be. Many have gone on to have long careers in the NHL.

In the case of Larsen, he just came off of a brutal injury and still has to get up to game speed. In a season like this, I would rather shelter a long-term player and give lots of time to players who may still have something or who may garner a later pick if they play better. Things get more physical as the season goes along and depth on D is better than no depth as we saw last season. The top players are the ones who need to step up. Larsen or Biega shouldn't be a difference maker considering where they sit on the depth chart.

15 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I think our whipping-boy/scapegoat players are seldom as bad as media and certain fans make them out to be. Many have gone on to have long careers in the NHL.

In the case of Larsen, he just came off of a brutal injury and still has to get up to game speed. In a season like this, I would rather shelter a long-term player and give lots of time to players who may still have something or who may garner a later pick if they play better. Things get more physical as the season goes along and depth on D is better than no depth as we saw last season. The top players are the ones who need to step up. Larsen or Biega shouldn't be a difference maker considering where they sit on the depth chart.

So what's Larsen's excuse for being useless BEFORE the injury.  The problem isn't that he's not a difference maker, the problem is that he's such a liability in his own zone that he's a difference maker for the other team.  He's done absolutely nothing to prove he belongs in the NHL, even in an emergency situation.  We'd be better off playing 5 defensemen than continuing to give Larsen playing time when he's demonstrated he's unable to play defense. 

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

So what's Larsen's excuse for being useless BEFORE the injury.  The problem isn't that he's not a difference maker, the problem is that he's such a liability in his own zone that he's a difference maker for the other team.  He's done absolutely nothing to prove he belongs in the NHL, even in an emergency situation.  We'd be better off playing 5 defensemen than continuing to give Larsen playing time when he's demonstrated he's unable to play defense. 

All the young d-men make glaring errors, but for some reason only certain players get called on it. Teams are targeting Stecher and I would rather have Larsen take the lines that are more likely to take shots at our d-men and let Stecher play the offensive players. Biega over Stecher shouldn't make that big of a difference and another injury could happen any game. Depth is depth.

2 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

All the young d-men make glaring errors, but for some reason only certain players get called on it. Teams are targeting Stecher and I would rather have Larsen take the lines that are more likely to take shots at our d-men and let Stecher play the offensive players. Biega over Stecher shouldn't make that big of a difference and another injury could happen any game. Depth is depth.

Stecher at least has a chance of developing into a better player and has shown he at least belongs in the NHL.  Depth is not depth when when it's nothing but a liability.  I'd rather take my chances with Burrows on D than continue the Larsen experiment.  He got a chance and he's simply incapable of playing defense.

Look, Larsen already coughed up the puck as I typed that.

20 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Opposition teams have hittable targets on Stecher AND Tanev

They don't need a 3rd marsh mellow target in Larsen. Biega hits back and slows their roll some.

30 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

The thing I don't get is putting him in the lineup and then going basically with five D. Like tonight vs Minnesota. Doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm hoping that if he plays reasonably well some other team might see him as a viable depth d-man with an offensive side. Then he could be included in a trade. March 1st is sneaking up.

55 minutes ago, combover said:

He'd clear waivers. They could use him in Alaska. (Where he belongs) 

I personally think he has the tools to dominate the AHL, never mind the ECHL. That said, I think he would probably rather just play in Europe, where he could also dominate.

Archived