The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Assessing Benning - Again

JamesB

What is your opinion on Benning?  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

JB is running a recycle program with the Canucks as he kept signing players not wanted by other teams trying to save their NHL careers. Skille, Cracknell, Prust, Vey, Etem, Bartkowski etc. would never help the Canucks at any time. These guys only took away the play-time of any young prospects who have the potential to play in the NHL. Young prospects instead are shipped out before they have the chance to play a handful of games in the NHL. Under JB and WD, you will never see another Burrows, Hansen or Kesler as Vancouver has become the graveyard of young prospects.JB should be fired asap. His next job would be with waste management.

3 minutes ago, afan said:

JB is running a recycle program with the Canucks as he kept signing players not wanted by other teams trying to save their NHL careers. Skille, Cracknell, Prust, Vey, Etem, Bartkowski etc. would never help the Canucks at any time. These guys only took away the play-time of any young prospects who have the potential to play in the NHL. Young prospects instead are shipped out before they have the chance to play a handful of games in the NHL. Under JB and WD, you will never see another Burrows, Hansen or Kesler as Vancouver has become the graveyard of young prospects.JB should be fired asap. His next job would be with waste management.

That's ironic, because I can name a handful of players the teams we're supposed to be emulating have recycled, former Canucks that were let go.

Cracknell ironically, and Kassian to Edmonton.

Every leftover you can imagine to Toronto (Booth, Prust pto, Raymond, Santorelli)  'Just do it like the Leafs' evidently means take Canucks leftovers.

Vey, Shink to Calgary.

Etem taken back by the team that supposedly 'gave up' on him (as if acquiring Hagelin is dump for dump).

Anyhow, every team 'recycles' the 12/13 F spots and 6/7/8 spots on their D. 

I give Benning 3 more years since his draft pick is not yet on AHL team so it should be reasonable to give him time to have his drafted players a chance to develop first and if there's improvement on the depth, keep him after 6th season.   However, the coach must go asap so that the players can be developed properly with different system.   His system of on ice play is not normal because there is no high risk, high reward system when we are desperately searching for a solution to scoring woes.   That has contribution to the issues.   A new GM should always be given 5-6 seasons, not 3 because of factored in the prospect pool and that's the time-frame on the fully developed pool from the bare cupboard.

Bad management is the best term to describe what Jim Benning has done during his term here.

He truly believed he had a team that was able to push for the playoffs this year. He couldn't wait for the season to start and prove all haters wrong. All moves he has made thus far were moves to help the team win, NOW. I personally hated the majority of his moves, but his plan was always to stay competitive.

Well, we are in the midst of a 9 game losing streak.I think it's safe to say the Canucks have played themselves out of a playoff spot already.

How can his judgment be so off? If this is his eye for talent in play, I can't imagine that he has what it takes to push the Nucks into Cup Contender territory.

If Benning is allowed to keep mis-managing the Canucks for another few number of years, it will completely backfire and we will be that much further from winning anything of importance again.

I'm thinking Nonis' time with TML and Tweedle Tee & Tweedle Dum in Edmonton. They all thought they were icing a great team, and they had a plan in place... but the truth of the matter was, nothing they were doing was of any benefit to their respective teams. New management had to come in and set a real plan in place. 

The only thing I can really hope for if Benning is to stay on as GM, is to keep all his picks.... make the best picks possible... continue to suck after that and have new management come in to push the Canucks into a powerhouse team again.

No more of this trading picks for reclamation projects please.

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

I give Benning 3 more years since his draft pick is not yet on AHL team so it should be reasonable to give him time to have his drafted players a chance to develop first and if there's improvement on the depth, keep him after 6th season. 

Ain't reasonable to assume ANY GM will last six years in this league with the same team (it's the exception rather than the rule).

For those wanting Benning gone, just remember who has a good chance of being the interm GM - Weisbrod.....

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Ain't reasonable to assume ANY GM will last six years in this league with the same team (it's the exception rather than the rule).

True, we all know that this team is going nowhere even if he signs free agents.  As long as he continues to draft some quality players every year.  It would be nice to stockpile the picks but I like the make-up of this team except for forward groups, including Sedin twins.   IMO, Benning did a great job rebuilding his defensive group but forward will be main focus after seeing that the Canucks failed to do better on scoring department.   All Benning needs to do is to fire the pro scouting as it has failed this franchise for a while and I doubt that it's Benning's fault because he can do so much.   It is on pro scouting personnel is now having some issue finding a player that fit in the Canucks plan.   For example, Clenbening (sp?) for Forsling trade is all on pro scouring staff and Benning's job is to absorb all information and pulled the trigger on that scouting report.   It is entirely possible that the pro scouting do not give the full information on any pro and con and that's on the staff, not Benning.   If I'm Benning, I would fire them for making me look bad even if the plan looked promising, it has to be a right player that would blossom on this team if I'm giving away Forsling.   It seems to me that pro scouting staff does not know what fully developed player looks like as there are some failed projects all over the map.    Benning cannot be at every Clenbening's AHL games to pull some trigger on a trade and it's entirely pro scouting staff's job to recognize a gem or two hidden somewhere in the pro league in NA.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

For those wanting Benning gone, just remember who has a good chance of being the interm GM - Weisbrod.....

Your are right that we would not want Weisbrod as interim GM. My favored strategy is that Linden lays down the law to Benning for the rest of this season.

1. Do not trade away draft picks or young players.

2. Do not sign UFAs.

3. Do trade away vets for draft picks. That includes Hansen and Miller, both of whom have value in the market.

4. Leave contract renegotiation until the summer.

5. Then, after the season, Benning should be shifted to VP-Player Development to run scouting and the draft (or fired if he objects to being kicked upstairs).

6. Then the Canucks can do a GM search.

20 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Your are right that we would not want Weisbrod as interim GM. My favored strategy is that Linden lays down the law to Benning for the rest of this season.

1. Do not trade away draft picks or young players.

2. Do not sign UFAs.

3. Do trade away vets for draft picks. That includes Hansen and Miller, both of whom have value in the market.

4. Leave contract renegotiation until the summer.

5. Then, after the season, Benning should be shifted to VP-Player Development to run scouting and the draft (or fired if he objects to being kicked upstairs).

6. Then the Canucks can do a GM search.

Yeah he does have his strengths (drafting).  Acquiring more picks (when we're realistically out of playoff contention - have to throw at least a bone to the season ticketholders who paid for this mess) would be a good starting point (take advantage of Benning's skills - more picks to find guys like  Tryamkin)

On 11/8/2016 at 11:11 AM, coolboarder said:

I give Benning 3 more years since his draft pick is not yet on AHL team so it should be reasonable to give him time to have his drafted players a chance to develop first and if there's improvement on the depth, keep him after 6th season.   However, the coach must go asap so that the players can be developed properly with different system.   His system of on ice play is not normal because there is no high risk, high reward system when we are desperately searching for a solution to scoring woes.   That has contribution to the issues.   A new GM should always be given 5-6 seasons, not 3 because of factored in the prospect pool and that's the time-frame on the fully developed pool from the bare cupboard.

I disagree. I would fully understand if the team wasnt in the playoffs BUT, in that sense, I would also like to think in year 3, our cupboard of prospects would be stocked and theres optimism for this team to get better in a year or 2. Fact is, not only are we getting WORSE right now, but we are absolutely depleted in the farm team. Benning has given away too many picks for lack lustre players, and built this team trying to emulate his Bruins team of 5 years ago which clearly isn't working.

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Stealth tank.

Minus the McCann trade, there really is no other explanation for his crap teams that appear to be purposefully stealth-tank.

A stealth tank concept was defeated when we lost Hamhuis for nothing. This was Benning's attempt at building a playoff team. 

REALLY TRYING TO BE POSITIVE IS HARD RIGHT NOW,

MR. BENNING HAS ONLY BEGUN, YOU ALL HAVE TO REALIZE THAT,

EDMONTON AND TORONTO HAVE SUCKED FOR ALMOST 10 YEARS.NOW THAT THEY HAVE TANKED FOR 8-10 YEARS THEY ARE DECENT.

REMEMBER WHAT I HAVE STATED BEFORE,OUR CANUCKS HAVE NEVER EVER HAD A FIRST OVERALL,

NEVER MIND 5 OR 6  IN THE PAST 20 YEARS LIKE EDMONTON.

WE COULD ALSO USE SOME SCOUTS BECAUSE THOSE DUDES ARE JUST HORRIFIC THEIR RECORD SPEAKS FOR ITSELF,TERRIBLE.

BUT STILL AFTER YEARS OF FRUSTRATION AND NO CUPS I STILL LOVE THE CANUCKS AND ALWAYS WILL.

LIKE THEY SAY IN THE SOUTHERN USA, WE WILL RISE AGAIN.

DAMN I HOPE IT'S SOON

Archived