The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jacob Trouba rescinds trade request

Well he obviously has to say that... but to be fair I think he got a pretty good deal and he's happy with the bridge. He proves himself for 2 years, then he can cash in 6-8 years north of 6.5 million (if he plays well obviously) 

7 minutes ago, apollo said:

Well he obviously has to say that... but to be fair I think he got a pretty good deal and he's happy with the bridge. He proves himself for 2 years, then he can cash in 6-8 years north of 6.5 million (if he plays well obviously) 

He didn't have to say that, he could have just as easily signed the contract and then waited to be traded while sitting on his couch.

Bridge deals make more sense for the club and the player if you think about it.

I don't like the current trend of these young players getting huge paydays right out of their entry level deal. Prove your worth and the club will be happy to pay top dollar to ensure they are getting the most on their return.

3 minutes ago, Lockhart said:

He didn't have to say that, he could have just as easily signed the contract and then waited to be traded while sitting on his couch.

True, he's probably content and just happy to get back on the ice! 

16 minutes ago, DJSkingz said:

Bridge deals make more sense for the club and the player if you think about it.

I don't like the current trend of these young players getting huge paydays right out of their entry level deal. Prove your worth and the club will be happy to pay top dollar to ensure they are getting the most on their return.

Yes.

And teams in the cap era need these bridges to enable them a better window to be more competitive.

Nice to see Trouba willing to earn it and help his team in the process - really like the player, and respect that he changed his mind and compromised.

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yes.

And teams in the cap era need these bridges to enable them a better window to be more competitive.

Nice to see Trouba willing to earn it and help his team in the process - really like the player, and respect that he changed his mind and compromised.

the oilers started the trend to hand out big contracts and bypass the bridge contract

many other clubs felt obliged to follow initially

but more recently fewer clubs are willing to hand out longer term contracts to young players

both for cap reasons

and to ensure that player is in fact worth the longer term deal

oilers stopped their own trend when they did not sign yakapov to a long term deal

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

the oilers started the trend to hand out big contracts and bypass the bridge contract

many other clubs felt obliged to follow initially

but more recently fewer clubs are willing to hand out longer term contracts to young players

both for cap reasons

and to ensure that player is in fact worth the longer term deal

oilers stopped their own trend when they did not sign yakapov to a long term deal

yes, skipping the bridge should be the exception, not the rule.

Trouba imo just hasn't produced enough to qualify.  Neither did Yakupov.

Someone like Gaudreau - maybe - but still - it hurts the Lames to lose the benefit of a couple years of the cap relief that a bridge provides.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and say that he is legitimately happy to be with the team. He may have had a change of heart when he got to Winnipeg, I hope he does well the rest of the year. He's  a good defensemen with a lot to offer.

Smoke & mirrors...

He still wants to be traded. But KC has stuck to his guns, and won't trade him unless he gets full value for him. So Trouba left about $3-4 mil on the table to make him a more attractive trade target to more teams, and publicly rescinded the trade request. Now KC won't have to make trade discussions from a place of weakness.

I wonder if the Penguins might take a stab at Trouba, now that his cap hit is so cheap. Could do Maata + pick/prospect(s), and really solidify the 2nd pairing, while at the same time actually saving over $1 mil of cap.

Archived