The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

DEC Sched..Tough, & Pivotal

Nuxfanabroad

Feel Dec's a pretty crucial month, with how thing's have been shaping up. Appears they'll either be treading water, or the bottom might just fall out(PO aspirations, this season). With our injuries(AND this sched), don't think we can legitimately call to surprise here with an unexpected-streak.

Month-end will basically represent season's mid-point, & we should have a good idea of where we stand. Dec's a real tough schedule(up there with March, I'd say).

Upside: IF we can hang in around .500 hockey through this challenge, then I guess play it out(perhaps trading 1 D, due to our depth there), & look forward to returning injured bodies.

15 games(1 played already)..  7-7-1 would prob be acceptable!

Tor, tomorrow(KILL'em!)

roadie: NJ, TBay, Flor, Wash & Carolina

home: TBay, CBJ, Winn, Winn

@ Cal(b2b)

home: LA, Ana

@Edm(b2b)

downside: Should we tank this month, I'd imagine some big changes might be in store. I'd be open to trading perhaps 2 exp'd D, & try to get lots of youth, picks, speed and/or size. Probably deal one of Burr/Badger, if the return's worthwhile.

Aim for a portion of returning assets on also assisting Utica to build up their roster. Accept likelihood of about an 80~85 pt campaign, & keep shuffling in youth, whilst gaining cap space to somehow exploit(TDL, draft, exp draft, etc...)

Any of you folks have hopes, should they achieve a dramatic: (A) upside, or (B) downside, thru Dec?

All I know is that the last thing I want is an 85 point season.  That sounds like something that would have us missing the playoffs and also having a relatively unimpressive draft pick.

If we're going to miss the playoffs, let's miss them with a vengeance, and not be close enough at the deadline that Benning is tempted to stand pat or (god forbid) be a buyer.  Then again, we were clearly out of it last year and still didn't sell anything.

7 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

All I know is that the last thing I want is an 85 point season.  That sound like something that would have us missing the playoffs and also having a relatively unimpressive draft pick.

If we're going to miss the playoffs, let's miss them with a vengeance, and not be close enough at the deadline that Benning is tempted to stand pat or (god forbid) be a buyer.  Then again, we were clearly out of it last year and still didn't sell anything.

Who knows, KB? Look how Winn climbed over us, then lucked into Laine?! I won't sit here wringin' my hands in angst over such arbitrary April-uncertainty. I just picked a # that would line up with the symmetry we're projecting towards.

I hope we have a big month. If we can continue to play the way we have been playing recently, I see no reason why we shouldn't. Loui, Baer and Burr have been providing depth scoring which is the key to this team. We continue to get secondary scoring, we will be in the playoffs 

6 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I hope we have a big month. If we can continue to play the way we have been playing recently, I see no reason why we shouldn't. Loui, Baer and Burr have been providing depth scoring which is the key to this team. We continue to get secondary scoring, we will be in the playoffs 

A glass that's 51% full.

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Feel Dec's a pretty crucial month, with how thing's have been shaping up. Appears they'll either be treading water, or the bottom might just fall out(PO aspirations, this season). With our injuries(AND this sched), don't think we can legitimately call to surprise here with an unexpected-streak.

Month-end will basically represent season's mid-point, & we should have a good idea of where we stand. Dec's a real tough schedule(up there with March, I'd say).

Upside: IF we can hang in around .500 hockey through this challenge, then I guess play it out(perhaps trading 1 D, due to our depth there), & look forward to returning injured bodies.

15 games(1 played already)..  7-7-1 would prob be acceptable!

Tor, tomorrow(KILL'em!)

roadie: NJ, TBay, Flor, Wash & Carolina

home: TBay, CBJ, Winn, Winn

@ Cal(b2b)

home: LA, Ana

@Edm(b2b)

downside: Should we tank this month, I'd imagine some big changes might be in store. I'd be open to trading perhaps 2 exp'd D, & try to get lots of youth, picks, speed and/or size. Probably deal one of Burr/Badger, if the return's worthwhile.

Aim for a portion of returning assets on also assisting Utica to build up their roster. Accept likelihood of about an 80~85 pt campaign, & keep shuffling in youth, whilst gaining cap space to somehow exploit(TDL, draft, exp draft, etc...)

Any of you folks have hopes, should they achieve a dramatic: (A) upside, or (B) downside, thru Dec?

I think that is a great question.....good post!

I think I read somewhere else on the boards that we have to play at .604 for the remainder of the season, right now to be in playoff contention

........yes this is a very important month!

On average over the last 10 years the 7th-8th place teams (2 Wild cards in recent years) in the West finish with 95-97 pts. Last year was a bit of an anomaly with the Wild getting the final seed with 87pts and this year the 2 wild card spots in the West are currently on pace for 88-90 pts which will likely ramp up to the 95-97 pt avg by Jan 1st. So a simple equation is you need 12pts every 10 games to pretty much guaranty that you are on playoff pace (96 pts after 80 games leaves the final 2 games of the season to either get one of the last 2 spots, solidify your already secured spot or jockey for position within the top 8). That being said the Canucks need to go 10-1 prior to the Xmas break to get back on legitimate playoff pace in the West, that would give them 42 pts after 35 games. I'm gonna say they go something like 4-6-1 in the next 11 and have 31 pts as they wake up Xmas morning. Enjoy the games folks.

4 hours ago, LaBamba said:

We aren't winning the Stanley cup and there isn't a consensus Franchise player in the draft. Why does December even matter? Just sit back and enjoy the ride. 

Agree it's not end of the world important. Regards to this season though, could easily determine whether they run with the current crew, or turn over some players at the deadline.

It's a hockey site. Are predictions, speculation & armchair GM'ing some kind of social faux pas?!

Most of us have likely watched between 30~50 NHL seasons play out. Isn't there ANY inherent desire within our highly-evolved monkey brains, to guess what may actually occur, beforehand? Just sitting & taking in games is likely not an adequate fix for many fans...

3 hours ago, theilluminati said:

On average over the last 10 years the 7th-8th place teams (2 Wild cards in recent years) in the West finish with 95-97 pts. Last year was a bit of an anomaly with the Wild getting the final seed with 87pts and this year the 2 wild card spots in the West are currently on pace for 88-90 pts which will likely ramp up to the 95-97 pt avg by Jan 1st. So a simple equation is you need 12pts every 10 games to pretty much guaranty that you are on playoff pace (96 pts after 80 games leaves the final 2 games of the season to either get one of the last 2 spots, solidify your already secured spot or jockey for position within the top 8). That being said the Canucks need to go 10-1 prior to the Xmas break to get back on legitimate playoff pace in the West, that would give them 42 pts after 35 games. I'm gonna say they go something like 4-6-1 in the next 11 and have 31 pts as they wake up Xmas morning. Enjoy the games folks.

I have a hard time seeing the team getting on a 10-1 roll, other teams are starting to get their crap slowly figured out and getting injured players back. Even Calgary is slowly starting to win.

Remember the last time the Canucks had a winning season, this was the time Kassian, Richardson and Matthais were the line that stirred the drink. The Sedins were shutdown on the six game road trip...the Canucks need the secondary scoring to show up on this road trip.

Archived