The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Twit Reporters

DmanBman

What is with the twit reporters that the Province has, I mean really, just look at that Paterson guy, or Botchford too, why would anybody believe anything they have to say?  Bet they wouldn't even know how to hold a stick or skate backwards.  Pathetic really, as if these twits know anything about hockey.  They keep advocating that the Canucks need to blow it all up and trade really good players away just for a lottery chance that they might draft some kid who might help them..... Ya, that is how I'm planning my future, spend all my cash on lottery tickets and hope like hell I win.  Great strategy......problem is chances are it won't work.... last year was a prime example of that, went from 3rd to 5th pick.... Thankfully the team is in good hands with Willie, Linden and Benning, they know what they are doing.  Fans just need to take a chill pill and be patient.  I mean jeez how many years did the Flames, Oilers and Laffs suck for..... All these reporters know is how to cut and paste from Twitter and pass it off as journalism, or recycle the same boring "tear it down" story and stir it up.  They should just stick to reporting the facts and keep their clearly inexperienced opinions to themselves.   Nuff said.

Amen.  Changing a core takes time.  We need to be patient.  The team is in transition and will be until the Sedins retire.  Benning has done a good job drafting and a great job at preparing the cap for what's next..too good maybe as experts predict Vancouver as only a few teams that could sign Flurry or Bishop next year. 

11 minutes ago, DmanBman said:

What is with the twit reporters that the Province has, I mean really, just look at that Paterson guy, or Botchford too, why would anybody believe anything they have to say?  Bet they wouldn't even know how to hold a stick or skate backwards.  Pathetic really, as if these twits know anything about hockey.  They keep advocating that the Canucks need to blow it all up and trade really good players away just for a lottery chance that they might draft some kid who might help them..... Ya, that is how I'm planning my future, spend all my cash on lottery tickets and hope like hell I win.  Great strategy......problem is chances are it won't work.... last year was a prime example of that, went from 3rd to 5th pick.... Thankfully the team is in good hands with Willie, Linden and Benning, they know what they are doing.  Fans just need to take a chill pill and be patient.  I mean jeez how many years did the Flames, Oilers and Laffs suck for..... All these reporters know is how to cut and paste from Twitter and pass it off as journalism, or recycle the same boring "tear it down" story and stir it up.  They should just stick to reporting the facts and keep their clearly inexperienced opinions to themselves.   Nuff said.

Hey, great post!  I completely disagree though.  We should be rebuilding by selling older assets for draft picks.  No team has won a Cup without top picks in their line-up, whether those players were their original picks or from another team.  Which players lead our team to its best seasons, and where were they drafted?  

That's because they're probably Leafs fans deep down and think it's what the Canucks should also do. Even after the Canucks beat the Leafs last week, the next day an article saying how much further ahead the Leafs are in their rebuild. You'd think, a writer for the Canucks, would try to shed a little sunshine on our tough days. Celebrate the wins when they happen, write about the positives.  

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hey, great post!  I completely disagree though.  We should be rebuilding by selling older assets for draft picks.  No team has won a Cup without top picks in their line-up, whether those players were their original picks or from another team.  Which players lead our team to its best seasons, and where were they drafted?  

I would agree with you, except, selling older assets that still have a lot of value for draft picks isn't necessary if you have a GM like Benning who can find gems in the lower rounds.  Check out this sportsnet article about low round stars, good example of why you don't have to draft high to get a good team, that is just the mantra of reporters who don't have a clue and it's kind of become the go to way to think.  http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/who-are-the-biggest-nhl-draft-steals-of-all-time/

Boeser is going to be dynamite, I think Toews like myself (but time will tell), I bet there are 29 other GMs around the league asking themselves how they missed on him....  Stetcher already is dynamite.  Tryamkin is as well (although I'd like to see Willie put him in front of the net on the PP and let Stetcher have at it - just like Chara did in Boston) he just needs a bit more time to develop.

Benning's got a good track record at it, I mean nobody is perfect, but from what I've seen his pedigree is pretty impressive, so rather than doubt Benning I think people should take what he says at face value and say ok, we'll follow your plan about keeping older players for their skill and intrinsic value to the team ....  I mean jeez, he's actually running a NHL team and won before, I think he has more of a clue as to what will actually work as opposed to some reporter who knows nothing about hockey.  My point in my original post was that the Province reporters are just so lacking in original thought, all they can do is regurgitate the same Toronto "tear it down" story,.  I mean, the Laffs were pretty much a disaster for ever, like 50 yrs, and frankly they aren't that good this year either, they just have a shiny new toy called Mathews that the centre of the universe likes to write about.  I have no idea how they will do, nobody does, but I do know they do have a lack of older players that have won and they don't know how to create a team culture of winning.  Don't underestimate how important that is.  They may fall into the same trap as Edmonton did.  Look at Edmonton, they would still suck this year if they didn't have McDavid, and they had low first rounders for pretty much the last 10 yrs.  Low first rounders doesn't make you a lock on having a good team.  Linden and Benning have been consistent in saying you can't just clear out all the older players for younger ones, I just think people (that includes reporters) should believe they actually know what they are talking about.

11 minutes ago, DmanBman said:

I would agree with you, except, selling older assets that still have a lot of value for draft picks isn't necessary if you have a GM like Benning who can find gems in the lower rounds.  Check out this sportsnet article about low round stars, good example of why you don't have to draft high to get a good team, that is just the mantra of reporters who don't have a clue and it's kind of become the go to way to think.  http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/who-are-the-biggest-nhl-draft-steals-of-all-time/

Boeser is going to be dynamite, I think Toews like myself (but time will tell), I bet there are 29 other GMs around the league asking themselves how they missed on him....  Stetcher already is dynamite.  Tryamkin is as well (although I'd like to see Willie put him in front of the net on the PP and let Stetcher have at it - just like Chara did in Boston) he just needs a bit more time to develop.

Benning's got a good track record at it, I mean nobody is perfect, but from what I've seen his pedigree is pretty impressive, so rather than doubt Benning I think people should take what he says at face value and say ok, we'll follow your plan about keeping older players for their skill and intrinsic value to the team ....  I mean jeez, he's actually running a NHL team and won before, I think he has more of a clue as to what will actually work as opposed to some reporter who knows nothing about hockey.  My point in my original post was that the Province reporters are just so lacking in original thought, all they can do is regurgitate the same Toronto "tear it down" story,.  I mean, the Laffs were pretty much a disaster for ever, like 50 yrs, and frankly they aren't that good this year either, they just have a shiny new toy called Mathews that the centre of the universe likes to write about.  I have no idea how they will do, nobody does, but I do know they do have a lack of older players that have won and they don't know how to create a team culture of winning.  Don't underestimate how important that is.  They may fall into the same trap as Edmonton did.  Look at Edmonton, they would still suck this year if they didn't have McDavid, and they had low first rounders for pretty much the last 10 yrs.  Low first rounders doesn't make you a lock on having a good team.  Linden and Benning have been consistent in saying you can't just clear out all the older players for younger ones, I just think people (that includes reporters) should believe they actually know what they are talking about.

Again, well thought out post.  I agree that those reporters, who never played the game, lack necessary knowledge.  I disagree with winning Cups WITHOUT top ten picks in your line-up.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Gudbranson - 3rd

Juolevi - 5th

Virtanen - 6th

Horvat - 9th

Baertschi - 11th

Boeser - 23rd

22 minutes ago, DmanBman said:

I have no idea how they will do, nobody does, but I do know they do have a lack of older players that have won and they don't know how to create a team culture of winning.  Don't underestimate how important that is.  They may fall into the same trap as Edmonton did.  Look at Edmonton, they would still suck this year if they didn't have McDavid, and they had low first rounders for pretty much the last 10 yrs.  Low first rounders doesn't make you a lock on having a good team.  Linden and Benning have been consistent in saying you can't just clear out all the older players for younger ones, I just think people (that includes reporters) should believe they actually know what they are talking about.

What winning culture are the Canucks creating? They finished in 28th place last year and are in just about the same position this year.

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

You know why the Leafs and Flames sucked for so long?  Because they kept selling off their assets in hopes of a playoff run.  I am worried that we may sell of more picks/prospects in hopes of making the playoffs this year.

It's almost like "the sky is always falling" type of fans, like I assume you are, ignore things they hear that don't fit their "sky is always falling" mentality.

Benning has been clear and vocal in interviews that he is not willing to give up futures for short-term success. 

31 minutes ago, Toews said:

What winning culture are the Canucks creating? They finished in 28th place last year and are in just about the same position this year.

one that's not saying " we are dismantling the team because we want you to do really bad"

Archived