The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Duchene and Landeskog could be hitting the market

billabong

1 hour ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

So from us basically

Baertschi+ virtanen+ our pick.

Not really something i would hate but not something i would love.

Either way will not happen as Jb will not trade picks this year. 

Colorado needs D. Take out Virt and add Hutton or take out the 1st and Virt and add Tanev and a 2nd. 

On 2/2/2017 at 6:26 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

"There has to be a high level of diligence to make sure those things don't happen and to make sure people know there will be significant penalties imposed if they were to screw around with the rules,'' Daly said.

Daly said violators of the expansion rules forgo a first-round draft pick, so penalties in the same vein would be "appropriate." New Jersey Devils GM Ray Shero insisted anyone would be crazy to attempt that type of circumvention.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/concerns-expansion-draft-shenanigans-rear-ugly-head-gms/story?id=43575505

Saw this article today and thought you might find it interesting because it's from Jan 2017 by Pierre LeBrun - the same that wrote the article you linked, where he suggest that Nashville should wait to sign Fisher re expansion.  He even notes that his life is in Nashville and that it allows them to go 4Ds + 4Fs.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/18444586/nhl-expansion-draft-plan-nashville-predators-hinge-whether-re-sign-veteran-mike-fisher

I haven't mentioned veteran captain Mike Fisher yet. That's because he'll be an unrestricted free agent on July 1. Pending UFAs don't qualify for the expansion draft -- and also don't need to be protected.

Unless Fisher, 36, is eager to get his extension done as soon as possible, there's an obvious advantage for Nashville to wait until after the expansion draft to address his contract so it doesn't have to use a protected spot on him. And, conversely, if you're Fisher, you don't run the risk of signing an extension before the expansion draft but then not being protected by the Predators and potentially getting claimed by Vegas. So waiting on a new deal seems to be the best bet all-around here.

Fisher's life is in Nashville, and he's married, of course, to country music superstar Carrie Underwood, so I think the Predators can probably wait this one out and maximize their expansion draft strategy.

47 minutes ago, mll said:

Saw this article today and thought you might find it interesting because it's from Jan 2017 by Pierre LeBrun - the same that wrote the article you linked, where he suggest that Nashville should wait to sign Fisher re expansion.  He even notes that his life is in Nashville and that it allows them to go 4Ds + 4Fs.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/18444586/nhl-expansion-draft-plan-nashville-predators-hinge-whether-re-sign-veteran-mike-fisher

Speaking of leBrun

“I can tell you that David Poile of the Nashville Predators has, at the very least, checked in once or twice with Colorado on the availability of Matt Duchene,” said LeBrun. “Now, it hasn’t progressed past that and lots of teams, as we know, have checked in on Matt Duchene.

and speaking of Duchene and NSH

http://predlines.com/2017/02/05/nashville-predators-need-matt-duchene/

Have any analysts mentioned what the asking price is on Landeskog?  I'd much rather acquire him than Duchene... not that Duchene isn't good, but his price is way too high, and he's actually 2 or 3 years too old for our developing core.  By the time our core hits their prime, Duchene may be declining.

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Have any analysts mentioned what the asking price is on Landeskog?  I'd much rather acquire him than Duchene... not that Duchene isn't good, but his price is way too high, and he's actually 2 or 3 years too old for our developing core.  By the time our core hits their prime, Duchene may be declining.

What you say about Duchene may be true, but if we get him now we won't have to worry about finding Henrik's eventual successor for around 7-10 years. 

On 2/8/2017 at 4:50 PM, Pears said:

What you say about Duchene may be true, but if we get him now we won't have to worry about finding Henrik's eventual successor for around 7-10 years. 

This. I love Gabe Landeskog. I actually have a Landeskog jersey just because I love the way he plays. True leader, and a warrior you want to follow out of the dressing room. The Avs made him captain a little too early. He should have waited until he was 22 or so and fully ready. But either way, he's a two way machine. Landeskog-Horvat-Boeser could be a legitimate first line in the NHL in a few years.

However, Duchene fills the most important need that the Canucks have. We need some offensive production out of our top line and powerplay. It's literally the reason we went out and signed Loui Eriksson. The Sedins are struggling right now massively. They simply can't handle the first line minutes they were accustomed too anymore. Our number 1 need right now is finding a number 1 center to replace Henrik, sooner rather than later. By sooner, I mean next season sooner. If the Sedins can get second line minutes with a fast forechecker player, I think their production will improve. On top of that, we've seen that Loui Eriksson simply can't score like expected with the Sedins. Instead, if he were to play first line with Duchene, and say a Sutter, we can finally get some offensive production out of him. Horvat mans the third line with Baertschi and everyone is put in a position to succeed.

Eriksson - Duchene - Sutter

Sedin - Sedin - _________ (Virtanen? Hansen? UFA?)

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

That's a good core where everyone is put in a position to succeed. Duchene simply puts the team in balance for the foreseeable future (3 or 4 years +) while we focus on drafting and developing new new gems to eventually replace the roster spots of the Sedins. (I don't think they will retire after next season. They'll just take on a lesser role) Once the Sedins decline to a third line role, I think Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser will be ready for the second line. From there you have a 1-2 punch combo of Duchene-Horvat. 

If I'm JB, I'm really eyeing Duchene right now.

On 2/3/2017 at 8:53 AM, Alflives said:

That's what JB and TL have said.  If the owner sees the team slide farther from the playoffs, and butts don't fill seats, I could see a move for Duchene, even if the cost is our future.

I like how you keep ragging on Aqua even though you don't have proof.

1 hour ago, Jam126 said:

1 hour ago, Jam126 said:

I have opinion based on the many reporters who have said our owner is involved in hockey decisions.  There are even reports the team is for sale.  What proof do you expect?  JB has lied publicly, and just admitted to it.  Trevor lied on TV to Steve Darling, and then admitted to it.  These two guys work for Aqualini, of course they are going to be careful with their words regarding the owner's involvement.  We went through all this last year, after the Hamhuis fiasco.  If you need evidence, go back and read the comments from that period.  

Alf is pissed at the way we are retooling into an average team with a bunch of (new, yes) average players.  Excepting Bo, we don't have anyone young, who has proven to be better than average.  We need to tear down and rebuild.  This is my opinion, of course:)

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I have opinion based on the many reporters who have said our owner is involved in hockey decisions.  There are even reports the team is for sale.  What proof do you expect?  JB has lied publicly, and just admitted to it.  Trevor lied on TV to Steve Darling, and then admitted to it.  These two guys work for Aqualini, of course they are going to be careful with their words regarding the owner's involvement.  We went through all this last year, after the Hamhuis fiasco.  If you need evidence, go back and read the comments from that period.  

Alf is pissed at the way we are retooling into an average team with a bunch of (new, yes) average players.  Excepting Bo, we don't have anyone young, who has proven to be better than average.  We need to tear down and rebuild.  This is my opinion, of course:)

How many of those reporters have a good reputation? 

Spoiler

Duchene is great and all... better than any centre we currently have... but holy heck he seems to be way over priced and over-rated.

He looks to be a 55-70 point guy pretty regularly, that doesn't exactly scream franchise/elite player worth mortgaging a team's entire future for.  Those are actually pretty equal year by year to a way past his prime Henrik.

It isn't like you can say he is really on the upswing as he hasn't trended that way and he is already in his 7th year. 

If it is a Hutton + Virtanen deal, sure that makes sense.  Adding a lottery 1st rounder or substituting in one of our top prospects (Boeser, Demko, Juolevi) just seems like a bad risk.

12 minutes ago, Provost said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Duchene is great and all... better than any centre we currently have... but holy heck he seems to be way over priced and over-rated.

He looks to be a 55-70 point guy pretty regularly, that doesn't exactly scream franchise/elite player worth mortgaging a team's entire future for.  Those are actually pretty equal year by year to a way past his prime Henrik.

It isn't like you can say he is really on the upswing as he hasn't trended that way and he is already in his 7th year. 

If it is a Hutton + Virtanen deal, sure that makes sense.  Adding a lottery 1st rounder or substituting in one of our top prospects (Boeser, Demko, Juolevi) just seems like a bad risk.

That much is agreed. When a deal is done, I xpect it the return to be much less than people think. I think he would be able to acquire without giving up top guys like our Horvats, Boesers, Juolevi's etc. 

Duchene is seriously one of my favorite players in the NHL currently, but even I think his asking price is too much. They're essentially asking for a 1 for 1 swap + more. It's like they're asking the other team to get ripped off.

Outside of this 70 point campaign, he hasn't even hit 60. Sure he's 26, but you're also asking for a young proven player. A young proven player that could end up as good as Duchene someday + more. Right now Duchene isn't even on pace to hit 60 at 26 years old. 

Archived