The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Dasein

Bump on my favourite Canuck prospect (Schroeder a close 2nd, LaBate 3rd).

So far in his transition to NA hockey, Rodin has 4G8A12P -2 in 25GP. Pretty solid numbers considering that this is his first year as a pro in North America. Hopefully he can improve on that as the season goes on, but I'd be happy with a 0.5PPG in his first year.

A few notes about Rodin's play last week from the Chicago Wolves website:

"Tallied 2 points (G, A) in three games last week, which included scoring Chicago’s lone goal on Dec. 31 ...Ranks first among Wolves rookies with 8 assists and 12 points in 25 games this year during his North American debut ... Has accrued 3 assists and 4 points during a current four-game point streak, which is a season-best"

http://www.chicagowolves.com/weekly-reports/2868-weekly-press-notes-for-jan-3

I hope he continues to improve his offensive output.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah I also want a update on his progress? is he projected as a top 6 or bottom 6? Do you think he could make the lineup in a few years?

That depends on how optimistic you are. The same could be said of all prospects though, I suppose. He was drafted in the second round and was almost set to be our first round draft pick had situations been different. He is a skilled player and if you choose to be optimistic then it is entirely possible for him to factor in to our top 6 somewhere down the line. He is also said to have a good work ethic and is solid in his own end. In my eye, he represents the best chance of any of our prospects to make the NHL just because of the diversity in the roles which he could potentially fill.

How long? That's hard to say. This is a transitional year - his first in North America. I believe that it won't be until next year that we really see the type of player we have in him. We have a good team and will still have a good team a few years from now. It'll be hard for him to crack the roster. Let's hope he does it all the same.

4g, 8a (12 pts) in 27 games, -4. Apparently he's found some good chemistry with Schroeder.

Yup he has, I've watch a couple games recently, it's only a matter of time I think until they start putting up a few more numbers.

Look for them to have a strong second half if they remain on the same line.

Excellent work DJ Kreuzberg!

Rodin's speed is his greatest attribute, something that will be integral to his transtion into the NHL. Hopefully we see a few more 'post-n-in' wristers as he and Schroeder develop together in the 2nd half of this season and the next.

Expect a 2013-2014 call-up if all goes to plan.

I was curious how a 30GP 4G10A14P AHL season could turn into a 5:16 highlight, but as soon as I started watching, I understood why. I'm glad that you included those non-goal plays that provide insight into Rodin's overall game.

You can see a lot of Jannik Hansen in Anton IMO in terms of speed, tenacity and checking. But he also has the Henrik Zetterberg factor of holding onto the puck and protecting the puck along the boards. He also has that wrist shot that many Swedish snipers do.

With a couple years in the AHL and a couple summers hitting the gym, Rodin could turn out to be a top 6 winger for us some day. Currently my favourite prospect in the Canucks system because I hope to see Rodin continue our lineage of elite Swedish forwards in Gradin => Naslund => Sedins => _______ . Hoping that blank will be Rodin :)

• Upvote 1

I was curious how a 30GP 4G10A14P AHL season could turn into a 5:16 highlight, but as soon as I started watching, I understood why. I'm glad that you included those non-goal plays that provide insight into Rodin's overall game.

You can see a lot of Jannik Hansen in Anton IMO in terms of speed, tenacity and checking. But he also has the Henrik Zetterberg factor of holding onto the puck and protecting the puck along the boards. He also has that wrist shot that many Swedish snipers do.

With a couple years in the AHL and a couple summers hitting the gym, Rodin could turn out to be a top 6 winger for us some day. Currently my favourite prospect in the Canucks system because I hope to see Rodin continue our lineage of elite Swedish forwards in Gradin => Naslund => Sedins => _______ . Hoping that blank will be Rodin :)

Obviously that blank should be Mats Sundin, then maybe Rodin! :P

Another 2 assist night for Rodin tonight - 4 points in back-to-back games.

4G12A16P -4 in 31GP - now slightly above 0.5PPG in his first season in North America. Would like to see more consistent goal scoring out of him, but he's doing well from what I saw in the video above other than scoring. That's what's important - hope he can keep that up.

Edited by Dasein

Bigger challenge for a Swede to come over to AHL play than a North American player. Rodin is getting his feet wet this year. Watch out next season.

Especially with smaller ice surfaces. He's got some real shifty moves. Made a nice move through center in the second period as well.

Especially with smaller ice surfaces. He's got some real shifty moves. Made a nice move through center in the second period as well.

And his upper-body strength isn't even all there yet, so expect even better things from him starting next year after bulking up in the offseason (barring any recurring shoulder issues of course... ugh).