The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

4 hours ago, mll said:

Rodin is a UFA at the end of this season. If he does well he will probably want to move on to a more competitive team instead of being on a rebuilding team for his prime years.

I think they are trying to develop Baer-Horvat as a duo but that Baer will be moved if he does not meet the expectations they've set on him.  I don't see him staying on the team as a 3rd liner.

He might also be happy to remain with the team that drafted him and the management that gave him another shot at the NHL.

Also a team that will have increasing spots opening up on their roster the next 2 years. 

Besides, he'd only be 3rd line next year until the sedins retire and would likely see top 6 time with injuries. 

I could easily see him on a 1-2 year 'show me' contract here (if we don't lose him in trade/expansion).  

Edited by J.R.

On 12/20/2016 at 0:40 PM, J.R. said:

I'd not be surprised if he puts Baer on the third :ph34r:

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen 

Rodin, Horvat, Burrows

Baer, Granlund, Eriksson

This, although they may want to ease Rodin in. Also, Sutter's stronger on faceoffs (Granlund's really our only weak faceoff guy) so any chemistry combos might be overridden to move Granlund down. We'll see what happens if they get some rushes in before the game tomorrow assuming he plays against Calgary.

On 12/21/2016 at 11:48 AM, J.R. said:

Yeah, I don't know which of the three we'll end up keeping. Rodin is tantalizing as he looks like he has a similar skillset to Baer but is less passive and a faster skater from my limited observation.

Enticing. 

But Baer has actually shown he can bring it at this level (albeit not consistently). The next few months should prove interesting between those two.

Granlund seems to play a more mature/2 way game and adds versatility of playing W or C. And while no slouch offensively, he's less dynamic than the other 2 IMO. 

Pretty sure one's gong to Vegas. Hopeful another nets an upgrade with Tanev. That leaves 1 to build with. 

(I'm hoping for either Hischier or Lilj myself::D )

I'd like to keep both of Rodin and Baer if we can, assuming they both play well to close out the year. If one doesn't then that makes the choice easy. Granlund I like but with Sutter's new deal coming into effect and Horvat already making a case for being one of our top players night in night out (and the Sedins still here for at least this year and next) he's the odd man out.

I don't disagree that we could use one in a move and lose one in the expansion, but I'd love to have it work out with Rodin and Baertschi both as more dynamic players we could really use.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

I'd like to keep both of Rodin and Baer if we can, assuming they both play well to close out the year. If one doesn't then that makes the choice easy. Granlund I like but with Sutter's new deal coming into effect and Horvat already making a case for being one of our top players night in night out (and the Sedins still here for at least this year and next) he's the odd man out.

I don't disagree that we could use one in a move and lose one in the expansion, but I'd love to have it work out with Rodin and Baertschi both as more dynamic players we could really use.

Is Rodin not going to be UFA this summer since he will play less than 80 NHL games?

26 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

And Granlund goes and gets the opener :lol:

9 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Will it matter if we sign him to a contract?

Yeah, then we'd need to protect him... but if we really wanted to, leave him an upcoming UFA, Vegas (likely) wont make a claim on a player that could walk a few weeks later. and then after June 21 we resign him before he goes UFA.  We could even have a deal basically pre set, just not signed until after expansion draft.

But i'm also not against looking at moving Sutter.  I've even suggested moving him to Edmonton for RNH.

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat

13 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah, then we'd need to protect him... but if we really wanted to, leave him an upcoming UFA, Vegas (likely) wont make a claim on a player that could walk a few weeks later. and then after June 21 we resign him before he goes UFA.  We could even have a deal basically pre set, just not signed until after expansion draft.

But i'm also not against looking at moving Sutter.  I've even suggested moving him to Edmonton for RNH.

Vegas has a window before the draft where they can negotiate with any unprotected ufa or rfa players. If they come to an agreement that becomes their selection from that team.

The NHL isn't as stupid as you think.

Just now, coryberg said:

Vegas has a window before the draft where they can negotiate with any unprotected ufa or rfa players. If they come to an agreement that becomes their selection from that team.

The NHL isn't as stupid as you think.

They have three days before..that's it.  Good they get to talk to player that a team can already have a basis for a contract written up.

For example, San Jose elects to leave Joe Thornton exposed in the Expansion Draft. Las Vegas will have the opportunity to speak to Thornton from the 17th to the 20th to discuss a contract. If an agreement is reach, and an official deal is signed, Thornton becomes the one player Las Vegas has selected from the Sharks. His 2017-18 contract will be used toward the 60% cap rule, and no other team ever had an opportunity to negotiate with him.

Still making sense? Ok, let’s muddy up the waters with a little gamesmanship that will happen next year.

Let’s keep using Joe Thornton as the example. Since he is under contract with the Sharks until June 30th, 2017, San Jose may negotiate a future contract with him any time between now and the Expansion Draft deadline. Say they come to an agreement, but don’t sign an official deal. The Sharks can leave Thornton unprotected, Vegas will have the chance to offer him a deal, but he may already be unofficially signed in San Jose, allowing the Sharks to protect a different player without the chance of losing Thornton. It’s a risk, but one likely worth taking on a player who can be trusted.

http://sinbin.vegas/curious-role-ufas-expansion-draft/

It's not that the nhl is stupid, its just an under the table agreement that the NHL can't remove.  

12 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

They have three days before..that's it.  Good they get to talk to player that a team can already have a basis for a contract written up.

http://sinbin.vegas/curious-role-ufas-expansion-draft/

It's not that the nhl is stupid, its just an under the table agreement that the NHL can't remove.  

Could tell Rodin we will give him 2 mil per year on a 2 year deal... then vegas calls and offers 3 for 3. You think he will say "nah... sorry I don't want more money, thanks though". Even if he was that dumb his agent would lose it, not to mention if the nhlpa caught wind.

17 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Could tell Rodin we will give him 2 mil per year on a 2 year deal... then vegas calls and offers 3 for 3. You think he will say "nah... sorry I don't want more money, thanks though". Even if he was that dumb his agent would lose it, not to mention if the nhlpa caught wind.

If Vancouver wants him they can offer him a fair deal. If it's completely about the money for him then realistically nothing is stopping Rodin from going ufa to find out how much he can make on the open market.  

And If vegas felt they could just outbid Vancouver why not just tell him how much more there willing to pay, select a different Canuck then sign Rodin as a ufa in the summer?  

You are clueless if you don't think under the table deals happen. All you have to do is just look back at the last expansion draft.  These under the table deals will happen this expansion draft as well. Trying to pretend like it won't happen is just plain stupid. 

26 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And If vegas felt they could just outbid Vancouver why not just tell him how much more there willing to pay, select a different Canuck then sign Rodin as a ufa in the summer? 

Wait.... weren't you the one in favor of leaving a player unprotected and signing him later? You aren't helping your case here.

28 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Wait.... weren't you the one in favor of leaving a player unprotected and signing him later? You aren't helping your case here.

It's a risk. A small one. anytime you don't have a player under contract you risk losing them. That's just common sense. But if you trust the player enough or you feel that you offered a fair enough offer then you don't really have much of an option. He's ufa he can choose to hold out for more money if he wants. 

Thats what happens with ufa players with or without expansion draft. The only difference is that one team has a window of 3 days to talk to the player. Not much of a risk since Rodin isn't the stamkos of the open market and isn't worth an overpayment

You're really grasping here. It's simple knowledge to understand.  But you stick to your guns and pretend to play dumb. 

Using your example. If canucks offer Rodin 2mil for 2 years and tell him they can't finalize the deal until after june 23rd,  Yes, theres a small risk that vegas can outbid them in the 3 days they have to talk to ALL UFA's. but whats the other option for Canucks.  Lock him down before the draft and then be force to expose him (or Sven/granny) and lose him for nothing anyways.

If Rodin is really concerned about the money, it would be in his best interest to go to the open market where 31 teams can bid on him, so why would his agent let him sign a 2 mil for 2 year offer if he felt he was worth more? 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat

28 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

whats the other option for Canucks.  Lock him down before the draft and then be force to expose him (or Sven/granny) and lose him for nothing anyways.

You said it yourself, you are giving las vegas the chance to negotiate early and sign after picking a different player. Signing your player ahead of time forces their hand. Pick one and one only.

I'd rather lock him down and have them pick him instead of losing granlund and maybe Rodin too.

This isn't complicated at all, your backdoor handshake circumvention theories are clouding your thought process.

Edited by coryberg

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It's a risk. A small one. anytime you don't have a player under contract you risk losing them. That's just common sense. But if you trust the player enough or you feel that you offered a fair enough offer then you don't really have much of an option. He's ufa he can choose to hold out for more money if he wants. 

Thats what happens with ufa players with or without expansion draft. The only difference is that one team has a window of 3 days to talk to the player. Not much of a risk since Rodin isn't the stamkos of the open market and isn't worth an overpayment

You're really grasping here. It's simple knowledge to understand.  But you stick to your guns and pretend to play dumb. 

Using your example. If canucks offer Rodin 2mil for 2 years and tell him they can't finalize the deal until after june 23rd,  Yes, theres a small risk that vegas can outbid them in the 3 days they have to talk to ALL UFA's. but whats the other option for Canucks.  Lock him down before the draft and then be force to expose him (or Sven/granny) and lose him for nothing anyways.

If Rodin is really concerned about the money, it would be in his best interest to go to the open market where 31 teams can bid on him, so why would his agent let him sign a 2 mil for 2 year offer if he felt he was worth more? 

The canucks could do that and offer a sweetheart clause if Rodin gets a better legit offer from another club. The Canucks would like to counter if a better offer comes in. 

If it is

between Vegas and the Nucks, I think he would stay, but the on the open market, another team like Chi could prove to be too good to pass up, no matter the money.  

9 hours ago, coryberg said:

You said it yourself, you are giving las vegas the chance to negotiate early and sign after picking a different player. Signing your player ahead of time forces their hand. Pick one and one only.

I'd rather lock him down and have them pick him instead of losing granlund and maybe Rodin too.

This isn't complicated at all, your backdoor handshake circumvention theories are clouding your thought process.

It's not my theory. The Nhl has accepted this will likely happen. That's why they gave LV a 3 day negotiation period to try and prevent some of it. And there's numerous journal publications talking about it. 

Vegas has 3 days to negotiate with every single ufa in the league. You're acting as if Rodin will be such a hot commodity that vegas will completely over pay to get him. There is little risk. 

Locking him down would imply that he signs a contract. You said it. His agent would lose it if he signed a contract with the Canucks when has a chance to get more on the open market.  If it's about money for Rodin it would be in his best interest to see if there is any thing else out there. 

I assume you actually understand this but are just trolling since you don't want to admit your wrong. Accept it or not. I don't care. Back door deals will happen. It was a huge issue last expansion. Nhl tried to prevent some of this from happening but there's only so much they can do and they will still happen again this time. Canuck would be smart to explore there options as well. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

The canucks could do that and offer a sweetheart clause if Rodin gets a better legit offer from another club. The Canucks would like to counter if a better offer comes in. 

If it is

between Vegas and the Nucks, I think he would stay, but the on the open market, another team like Chi could prove to be too good to pass up, no matter the money.  

yeah if it's about money for Rodin, it make the most sense to wait and see if Vegas is willing to offer something bigger.  There's not risk for him to do that, as he could easily just come back to the Canucks after June 23rd, it's not like canucks would have a change of heart since it would actually benefit them.

If it's about findng the best team for his career, than it's best for him to hold out until ufa, where he's free to sign with any team. 

Personally, can't see why Rodin wouldn't want to stay in vancouver.  We don't have a lot of competition so he will get ice time.  He's surrounded by a lot of his countrymen and we have cap to spend. He's still got a lot to prove before he can try to dictate pay and location.