The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

Rodin : "After 2 injury riddled seasons in AHL, I made call to return to Sweden. My goal is to play for the Canucks, good team" #Canucks

That's from News 1130 Sports twitter. He seems very open to a move back to Vancouver. The question is the timing, I think he would come by the end of his season in the SHL

Excellent news.  If Benning doesn't think he'd make the NHL some other GM would likely take the gamble.  At the very least he should bring a conditional pick

They all came over for a shot in the NHL. Some returned after failing to make an impact in NA when they were younger.

Soderberg recently got a contract for $23.75 million. SHL salaries are nowhere close to that. Last time I checked, many of the SHL's highest paid players were earning around $500k per...which is minimum wage in the NHL.

Also, Rodin came over to NA in the first place for a reason. He wanted to make the NHL, and make an NHL salary. He left because it looked like he wasn't going to. Now, he has generated enough interest that multiple teams are considering giving him a 1-way deal - hence, making the NHL, and making the salary. Why are you so confident that he would turn his nose up at this opportunity.

Well, you MAY have been right, but while I'd like to be wrong I find it more likely we see him as part of a package trade with one of or a combination of Hammer, Higgins, Vrbata a mid round pick or B prospect such as Jensen to try and net us that top 4 D prospect we really need.

I'd like to be wrong and see him enter our org again and be a top or middle 6 contributor but I won't hold my breath as right now his value is possibly higher than it might ever be simply based on point production in the SEL.

Edited by Warhippy

lookin' dead wrong so far

Based on what exactly?  A mention of Benning paying some attention to him?  Come back and tell me I am wrong when he suits up regularly in a Nucks uniform.

Until then, he is just another forgotten prospect having a good year that is todays shiny new toy

Based on what exactly?  A mention of Benning paying some attention to him?  Come back and tell me I am wrong when he suits up regularly in a Nucks uniform.

Until then, he is just another forgotten prospect having a good year that is todays shiny new toy

A free asset, met with doubt and disdain.

Still sucking on lemons, eh Warhippy.

:unsure:

A free asset, met with doubt and disdain.
Still sucking on lemons, eh Warhippy.

:unsure:

Guess yer not really following the conversation. 

I'll fill you in.

Someone told me I was "dead wrong" for saying it was unlikely we'd see him in a Nucks uniform again based on Benning possibly going to see him play.

It stands, until such time as Rodin EVER suits up in a Nucks uniform again; I am not wrong.  I'll suck on my lemons you enjoy whatever it is you're in to

Edit, Add on**

I should point out I'd be thrilled beyond thrilled if Rodin ever came back without having to supplant any of our current rookies,  But again I see his current value as a trade piece far more likely than ever seeing him play in a Nucks uniform 

Again, love to be wrong.  Just finding it unlikely

Edited by Warhippy

Guess yer not really following the conversation. 

I'll fill you in.

Someone told me I was "dead wrong" for saying it was unlikely we'd see him in a Nucks uniform again based on Benning possibly going to see him play.

It stands, until such time as Rodin EVER suits up in a Nucks uniform again; I am not wrong.  I'll suck on my lemons you enjoy whatever it is you're in to

I like lemons.

I think they also just enjoy trying to prove somebody wrong. ;)

I desperately want to see Rodin make it in this league, preferably as a Canuck.  I've always loved him as our 2nd round from his draft and thought he got burned on the Wolves.  Hell I still have his jersey.

But I think right now honestly; his value site unseen in the NHL based on SEL performance alone is at an all time high.  I think it's very possible we see his rights, or even him traded as part of a package deal for say a top 4 D prospect to be excited about.

I don't see right now where he fits in this club, especially when we'll be heading in to the playoff home stretch and grinding out every point by the time that his leagues season is over.

He fits in our top 6?  Middle 6 more likely, supplanting whom?  

I want so badly to see this kid in a Nucks uni, I just; in my opinion only do not see it happening.  Hell.  Nobody has even considered once that Benning/Linden might just consider heading out there to mend fences and see if he'd be ok with a sign and trade, or even seeing if he'd be cool seeing his rights alone going to another team as prt of a package with the near guarantee he'll see regular NHL time somewhere.

I am not wrong in the same way I am not right.  We might never see him in a Nucks uniform ever again.  Time will tell

I'm not really sure why people are saying we mishandled this kid. Going back to Sweden has resurrected his career. 

We have his rights, this is awesome. 

Probably not "mishandled", but more that the Canucks choosing to have the Chicago Wolves as their AHL affiliate probably derailed a lot of players.

The Canucks were developing players when they had the Moose.  They are again grooming guys for the NHL in Utica. 

I desperately want to see Rodin make it in this league, preferably as a Canuck.  I've always loved him as our 2nd round from his draft and thought he got burned on the Wolves.  Hell I still have his jersey.

But I think right now honestly; his value site unseen in the NHL based on SEL performance alone is at an all time high.  I think it's very possible we see his rights, or even him traded as part of a package deal for say a top 4 D prospect to be excited about.

I don't see right now where he fits in this club, especially when we'll be heading in to the playoff home stretch and grinding out every point by the time that his leagues season is over.

I want so badly to see this kid in a Nucks uni, I just; in my opinion only do not see it happening.  Hell.  Nobody has even considered once that Benning/Linden might just consider heading out there to mend fences and see if he'd be ok with a sign and trade, or even seeing if he'd be cool seeing his rights alone going to another team as prt of a package with the near guarantee he'll see regular NHL time somewhere.

I am not wrong in the same way I am not right.  We might never see him in a Nucks uniform ever again.  Time will tell

I think you are grossly overrating his value. 

Yeah, I agree. He seemed to have a lot of potential after we drafted him, but had some unfortunate injuries paired with an AHL club that was not working in tandem with it's NHL club. Now he's an older prospect, so he'll have to work that much harder to get an NHL gig. He is tearing up across the sea, but we have a bunch of young scoring wingers who play the role he plays in Baertschi, Shinkaruk, Vey (to an extent). We also have more physical forwards like Virtanen and Gaunce who are also capable of scoring. 

For him to make the Canucks, he would have to find a way to get a spot ahead of Shinkaruk and Baertschi. Meanwhile, we have needs on defense. He could be a nice supplementary piece in a trade getting a defensive prospect/ young dman back.

But like you, I'm never opposed to a player making the Canucks who deserves a spot.

Probably not "mishandled", but more that the Canucks choosing to have the Chicago Wolves as their AHL affiliate probably derailed a lot of players.

The Canucks were developing players when they had the Moose.  They are again grooming guys for the NHL in Utica. 

Pretty much. The situation with Chicago was so bad for our prospects. All you need to do is look at the roster the Wolves had in Rodin's last year here... it was just packed full of AHL lifers. I remember at the trade deadline that year the Wolves even made a couple trades themselves to bring in additional vets and Rodin was shoved out of the lineup altogether.

If we'd had the Comets at the time I bet Rodin never would've left North America. But if he ends up returning to us from Sweden as a matured, complete player
then I suppose there's no harm done? ^_^