The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for Tankers to face the TRUTH.

hearditall

1 hour ago, Davathor said:

Pitts and chi aren't the only ones with a chance... The Canucks however, have a ZERO chance of winning the cup. If you think differently you need to take off the rose glasses and come back to reality 

I'll take your bets on any of these teams that are all chasing for the playoffs not the bottom for 1st pick.

Ottawa, Florida, Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, NYI, Philly, NJD, Carolina, Winnipeg, Dallas, Calgary, heck I'll even throw in Nashville for U. 

13 OTHER TEAMS just for U, place your bets or shall they all tank for ONE LOTTERY PICK??? :lol:

That's almost HALF the league... I can throw in 2 more if U really want?

So only Half the league should try to win while the other half should TANK for ONE lottery pick...:wacko::wacko:

Now put your poker glasses where your mouth is...:towel:

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You're close. It's actually 16 for the Cup and (now) 15 for the 1st overall.  B)

I know how many teams make the playoffs. But he said what's the point making the playoffs if you're going to get killed in the first round. 8 teams are knocked out in the first round. There's only 8 to 10 teams that truly believe they have a shot. That means 20 to 22 teams should be shooting for the top pick instead of the useless playoffs. I'll add Vegas in the numbers once they are actually competing for the top 8 to 10 or bottom 1.

Don't you think that would be an exciting league to watch?

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

I know how many teams make the playoffs. But he said what's the point making the playoffs if you're going to get killed in the first round. 8 teams are knocked out in the first round. There's only 8 to 10 teams that truly believe they have a shot. That means 20 to 22 teams should be shooting for the top pick instead of the useless playoffs. I'll add Vegas in the numbers once they are actually competing for the top 8 to 10 or bottom 1.

Yippie......:wacko::blink:

38 minutes ago, hearditall said:

We are getting more picks. JB has done a great job filling in the major holes this team had from no prospects in the past (Baer, Granlund, Sutter, Tryamkin, Gub, Sbisa). No he hasn't made us cup contenders just yet but he has made us respectable playoff contender while he re-builds his team. 

He's stated that he's not trading away any more picks. (I'm sure within reason). So with his drafting so far plus all the drafting he's going to be doing in the next few years we will slowly but surely start to see our prospect pool grow like u wish. It's happening just takes time.

Gaudette & Boeser could really make a big difference as early as next year? Plus I wouldn't right off a 21 year old with speed, size strength shot etc. like him just quite yet....

I also feel that most fans here either under rate or over rate players values way too much. I've heard Burrows is worth a 2nd rounder??? Then I hear he's worth no more than a 5th??? What is it???

If you think these guys are better than some of the other players this team has had then management has been successful in that they have lowered your expectations.

They are okay players, they are NOT dogs, but they are not the answer to leading this group out of the abyss, they will help but not much more than 3 or 4 hundred other players could. They are not special.

More picks in this draft? Benning should have been stocking piling picks that last two drafts instead of giving them away.

The quick fix has past the management group by, that possibility was the within their 1rst two years, now it is looking like another 7 years. It is hard to look any further ahead if they continue doing business like they are now. In 3 years they have one player playing that might be a top six player and they can't take responsibility for him, he is a Gillis guy, although they seem to credit for Horvat. Correction, Tryamkin, IMO could be a stud.

1 hour ago, hearditall said:

Having the Vets around this team is the reason why Horvat, Tryamkin, Stecher, Baer, Granlund, etc. have been able to develop faster.  

Sometimes it's hard for one sight'rs to spot the little things which there are many (which directly contribute to the future) that have to be added up before making any decisions.... vet presence, cap, expansion draft, contracts, roles, development, etc. etc. etc...

Because I say I wouldn't mind seeing what we can get back for Burrows or Miller, doesn't mean I agree now that we are any lesser, it actual means that the younger newer core guys have taken that next step & their development from the help of these vets has made these vets NOW expandable. That means I think the TEAM in whole could probably play to the same calibre without these vets now. 

It's called proper development. Just like how Sutter has helped Horvat take the next step. Yes without Sutter, Horvat would not be developed properly, just look at last season to this season in roles if u don't remember...

This is so true... Last season Horvat was almost hung out to dry with Sutters injuries. 

14 hours ago, hearditall said:

NEVER. 

U ALWAYS play to win the game bro. Even if it's monopoly or crazy 8's or Pac Man...

You do play to win and to be as competitive as you can, for the fans sake and your own ethical makeup as a player. More so the fans that are buying tickets and shelling out cash at concessions for your salaries. However if you are out of it buy the deadline then the team has to and should be selling hope for the future. And that means selling assets and losing games for the sake of higher picks through all the rounds. With 18-20 games left and only 9-10 home games, the paying public can stomach a watered down team for a quarter season if it betters your draft and prospect possibilities. 

2 minutes ago, Inge34 said:

You do play to win and to be as competitive as you can, for the fans sake and your own ethical makeup as a player. More so the fans that are buying tickets and shelling out cash at concessions for your salaries. However if you are out of it buy the deadline then the team has to and should be selling hope for the future. And that means selling assets and losing games for the sake of higher picks through all the rounds. With 18-20 games left and only 9-10 home games, the paying public can stomach a watered down team for a quarter season if it betters your draft and prospect possibilities. 

Ok do this but what happens if your new young guys getting a chance out perform the ones that left? Do U tell them not to try cause we are trying to finish dead last? Do U tell Horvat to stop scoring or stop elevating his game too? Do u tell Tryamkin to let the players go by him? Do u tell Markstrom to let pucks in?

My point is no pro ever quits. That's a fact....

I agree that Burrows & Miller has served their respective purpose & have sped up our prospect development which means they've done their jobs & it's time to let the Horvats, Granlunds, Baers, Tryamkins, Stechers, Markstroms take on more. 

Proper development...

If they out perform then great. You don't shut the team down or tell them not to try. Just saying, for example, if Miller moved on then you get 18-20 games to see Markstrom either succeed and play lights out or falter but at least you have an idea what you have. If you move players for picks or prospects and the team still wins...wow, that would be fantastic. Because it would mean you got more picks/prospects and you keep that competitive energy/culture alive. And again now you are selling hope for the future. It's win win.

2 hours ago, westvandude said:

Depends on the rules of the game... if a game is designed that you could win more in the future by losing in the short-term, then you should be playing to win LONG-TERM. So by losing now, you're actually winning the game. 

/thread

I'll take your bets on any of these teams that are all chasing for the playoffs not the bottom for 1st pick.

Ottawa, Florida, Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, NYI, Philly, NJD, Carolina, Winnipeg, Dallas, Calgary, heck I'll even throw in Nashville for U. 

13 OTHER TEAMS just for U, place your bets or shall they all tank for ONE LOTTERY PICK??? :lol:

So only Half the league should try to win while the other half should TANK for ONE lottery pick...:wacko::wacko:

Can anyone translate this for me? He thinks Detroits going for the playoffs? What is he betting on? 

You do realize there isn't just 2 modes teams are at right? Some organizations are at different stages of development, rebuild, post rebuild, contender, dynasty.... teams that are full of young talent but not contenders CANT tank for picks, they are too good to tank, and need their young players to grow, mature, and gain experience in a winning environment, where even playoff experience (losing in the first round) is still valuable to them. Take Calgary for example. 

What im trying to help you see is that the Canucks are not one of the teams that needs to lose in the first round - what is Edler, sedins, sutter, LE, Tanev, burrows, Hansen, miller going to learn from another first round exit? Whereas Calgary has a whole bunch of young players that are only getting better, we have a whole bunch of old players, that are only getting older. 

Judging from your posts none of this is going to get through, and judging from the amount of smileys you use per post, I don't care if I can show one 12 year old the light. There's enough intelligent fans on here that agree with me.

3 hours ago, hearditall said:

Why is 20+ teams trying to make playoffs if they aren't going to win the CUP??? 

Your theory is everyone tank except Pittsburgh & Chicago.... LOL...

U play to WIN no matter what. It's called PRO SPORTS not arm chairing gm...

That's not totally true. There's four teams in each conference they know they are gonna tear up the league, then there are 6 From each conference that think they can be competitive and then the remaining teams in each conference are either dreaming or know they're gonna have a tough season. We are the dreaming team. Don't get me wrong cuz we could definitely be better if we were healthy but our team mostly depends on older players like Sedins Eriksson Edler Sutter Tanev to all be healthy and produce. Which doesn't always happen 

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

So you'd prefer a league where 8 to 10 teams compete for the cup and 20 to 22 compete for the 1st overall pick? Won't that be a fun league to watch.

U bring that up randomly but just thinking about it, it would be cool.

Like if love it if they had a system where teams that get into the playoffs play for the cup and the teams that didn't make it compete for 1st overall pick. And the last placed team can only drop to 5th last no more. That would make things interesting 

Brilliant league with a $&!# load of goals....own goals that is... We could even have a TSN highlight reel of the 5 best own goals of the night... 

Amazing nobody thought of that before...

Tanking stinks... this sort of 'pro-sport' will end up killing any interest in the NHL...

Down Goes Brown  wrote about the different ways the NHL could fix their draft lottery system.  My personal favourite which will eliminate the 20 teams that should be competing for 1st overall is the Wheel Method.  Every team drafts in the same order all the time.  In other words every team is gets the 1st overall pick every 30 years. A top 6 pick every 5 years and a top twelve every 4 years.  Its a good idea and eliminates any need for tanking.  

2 hours ago, hearditall said:

Ok do this but what happens if your new young guys getting a chance out perform the ones that left? Do U tell them not to try cause we are trying to finish dead last? Do U tell Horvat to stop scoring or stop elevating his game too? Do u tell Tryamkin to let the players go by him? Do u tell Markstrom to let pucks in?

My point is no pro ever quits. That's a fact....

I agree that Burrows & Miller has served their respective purpose & have sped up our prospect development which means they've done their jobs & it's time to let the Horvats, Granlunds, Baers, Tryamkins, Stechers, Markstroms take on more. 

Proper development...

Lets say they move a D man for a young forward. Then they move Hansen for another young prospect and Burrows for a pick. If the two young players come in and help us make the playoffs then every fan including those of us who are hoping for a high draft pick will be stoked.  We are Canuck fans and only want what is best for the team now and in the future.

Archived