Canucks Community

For thrash metal fans

whcanuck

Out of the Big 4  my personal list would be

1) Metallica

2) Anthrax

3) Megadeth 

4) Slayer

Ive seen them allll live :D :D   Also check out....Havok.... great new band who just shreeeddd and Lamb of God, who are my favourite band, they are on the heavier end of the spectrum but omg they are amazing 

6 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

If you can get past the vocals those guys are absolutely phenomenal. Metal album of 2016 for me. Total riff machine.

Unfortunately though, the group on that album has already disbanded. Just band leader David Disanto remains. But at least he promised to keep writing more stuff.

i ll check this out 

the vocals a liitle bit like blackmetal

4 hours ago, riffraff said:

One of the best albums start to finish of any genre I have ever bought.  And for me that's saying something as I'm a music geek.

i love metal.

on topic:

slayer

metallica

whatever after.

there are some good thrash metal bands out right now.  Not great or groundbreaking but good.

Edit

i would also also consider early meshuggah as quite thrashy.  And they are my top 5 favourite metal bands.

It's nice to see another Meshuggah fan on the boards. Destroy Erase Improve is one of my all time favourites.

I got to see Power Trip at Modified Ghost Festival last April... it was a packed house at the Astoria and one of the best shows I saw last year. Municipal Waste is playing the festival this year with Candlemass, Nails, Exhumed, Red Fang, Razor... Vancouver's metal scene has been doing well the last couple of years.

5 hours ago, luckylager said:

Do you also wish you had a fricken clue about metal? I do. 

Go play your flute.

There's far more to metal than simply being "MOAR HEAAAVY AND BRUTALZ!!".

While my initial statements about Slayer may have generalized them, they are still the least eclectic band of the bunch, which is why I, quite frankly, find them tedious and boring. I much prefer bands that are willing to explore different musical ground. Hence why I love the Load album. Songs such as The Outlaw Torn, Bleeding Me, and Until It Sleeps, while not "metal" in the traditional sense, are also amongst the best tracks in Metallica's entire catalogue. It's also why I prefer Megadeth. Far more willing to explore different musical spectrums than Slayer.

And incidentally, a well placed flute section in a metal song can be a thing of beauty, as proven by Dream Theater's Octavarium. 

14 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

While my initial statements about Slayer may have generalized them, they are still the least eclectic band of the bunch, which is why I, quite frankly, find them tedious and boring. I much prefer bands that are willing to explore different musical ground. Hence why I love the Load album. Songs such as The Outlaw Torn, Bleeding Me, and Until It Sleeps, while not "metal" in the traditional sense, are also amongst the best tracks in Metallica's entire catalogue. It's also why I prefer Megadeth. Far more willing to explore different musical spectrums than Slayer.

And incidentally, a well placed flute section in a metal song can be a thing of beauty, as proven by Dream Theater's Octavarium. 

As I am more of a proggie, I second that. Slayer has a very good back catalogue (aka the early years) but anything since Seasons in the Abyss has the same problem for me as AC/DC as a band has. Songs are mostly the same formula.

6 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

As I am more of a proggie, I second that. Slayer has a very good back catalogue (aka the early years) but anything since Seasons in the Abyss has the same problem for me as AC/DC as a band has. Songs are mostly the same formula.

I do agree that, back in the day, Slayer had some great material. I in particular dig Seasons in the Abyss and South Of Heaven. But yeah, they really stick to the same formula, so everything they do these days kind of feels like a rehash of something that they've already done before. Not to mention that I really don't feel Slayer have ever made an attempt to play with the emotion and general feeling that a song gives off, outside of making it sound dark/evil.

Also, +1 for being a fellow proggie.

8 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Just because they are willing doesn't mean they should or that it's good.

funny you bring up boring and tedious but then refer to Metallica as "experimental" when Lars ulrich is easily the worst and most boring "metal" drummer of all time.

im sorry but any metal band that turns into a country band is an embarrassment.

8 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I get where you're coming from, with your ecclectic taste and all, especially if we're talking about musicianship, technicality etc.. and given that you like dream theatre. While I can agree that dream theatre are unbelievably talented musicians, to me, they come off as a sound track to a vampire movie. High production quality, minimal anger.

In terms of the topic at hand, thrash metal, ecclectic's be damned.

Thrash, IMHO, is a statement of power, not skill. Something that makes you want to break sh*t and chug a beer before doing something incredibly stupid, or dangerous. That's where I was coming from with thrash.

Motorhead, White Zombie. Great examples of underachieving in the musicianship department, yet blowing people's faces off with raw power and aggression.

Different strokes for different folks. 

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I get where you're coming from, with your ecclectic taste and all, especially if we're talking about musicianship, technicality etc.. and given that you like dream theatre. While I can agree that dream theatre are unbelievably talented musicians, to me, they come off as a sound track to a vampire movie. High production quality, minimal anger.

Thrash, IMHO, is a statement of power, not skill. Something that makes you want to break sh*t and chug a beer before doing something incredibly stupid, or dangerous. That's where I was coming from with thrash.

Motorhead, White Zombie. Great examples of underachieving in the musicianship department, yet blowing people's faces off with raw power and aggression.

That's fair. And I totally understand that musicianship isn't everything. I cite Metallica as my favorite of the big 4, but if we're looking at technical proficiency, they're probably the least talented band of the four.

Like you said, different strokes....

12 minutes ago, riffraff said:

funny you bring up boring and tedious but then refer to Metallica as "experimental" when Lars ulrich is easily the worst and most boring "metal" drummer of all time.

Metallica have exactly two songs (Mama Said, Unforgiven 2) that have country-ish influences in them, and those two songs are on different albums.

So please, I would love to know in what way Metallica became a "country band", considering that they have a grand total of two tracks with anything remotely resembling country music on them. Please give specific examples of songs other than the two I just mentioned.

I await your reply.

10 minutes ago, luckylager said:

This.

there is no point in discussing "thrash" metal bands but then complaining they aren't Rush.

thrash is for thrash.  Its really for one purpose only.  Embrace it for what it is or don't.

Its why there are other genres to explore.

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That's fair. And I totally understand that musicianship isn't everything. I cite Metallica as my favorite of the big 4, but if we're looking at technical proficiency, they're probably the least talented band of the four.

Like you said, different strokes....

Metallica have exactly two songs (Mama Said, Unforgiven 2) that have country-ish influences in them, and those two songs are on different albums.

So please, I would love to know in what way Metallica became a "country band", considering that they have a grand total of two tracks with anything remotely resembling country music on them. Please give specific examples of songs other than the two I just mentioned.

I await your reply.

I won't keep you waiting long.

if you go country once, there is no coming back.

im not dissing your tastes over all man. just Metallica.

sorry I just don't consider Metallica metal anymore.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

So if a band changes stylistically, even for just one song, they've forever changed genres and are completely incapable of creating another piece of music in their previous genre?

Ok buddy....

I suppose this isn't a metal song then...

37 minutes ago, riffraff said:

18 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Dimebag Darrel Abbott and Rex AND Vinny Paul of Pantera started a country band.

Dimebag Darrel Abbott spent years in the studio helping produce and write country songs.

Don't give me that holier than thou crap about what does or does not constitute metal or who is or is not metal.

That's not for you to decide.  EVER.

A band like Metallica has been playing since 81.  Almost 40 years.  They're allowed to branch out and do whatever the hell they want free from petty opinions from nobodies like yourself.

Hell,  Lemmy sang a number of country and R&B songs in his later years.  Guess according to you he's not metal or hard right?

17 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So if a band changes stylistically, even for just one song, they've forever changed genres and are completely incapable of creating another piece of music in their previous genre?

Ok buddy....

I suppose this isn't a metal song then...

Listen to that kicker.  That opening riff 

It's obviously no harder than one direction pfft

<_<

Sarcasm

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I almost feel we need a more general metal thread, as I'm suddenly realizing that I'm not a huge fan of thrash :/

Any Opeth fans in the house? :P Freaking love me some Opeth <3

I'm a huge fan of thrash metal.  Hell I like metal.  not much in to modern death metal or black metal.  Far to prosaic and no difference between the bands anymore.

It's why you see bands like Mastodon, FFDP, Overkill, Testament, Machinehead and more stepping away from "styles of metal"

A good band branches out, a band that lasts branches out.  A band that doesn't and stays doing the EXACT same thing album in and out...is Nickleback

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm a huge fan of thrash metal.  Hell I like metal.  not much in to modern death metal or black metal.  Far to prosaic and no difference between the bands anymore.

It's why you see bands like Mastodon, FFDP, Overkill, Testament, Machinehead and more stepping away from "styles of metal"

A good band branches out, a band that lasts branches out.  A band that doesn't and stays doing the EXACT same thing album in and out...is Nickleback

I'm more of a prog metal fan myself. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some thrash, but only a handful of bands (Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, etc...)

But yeah, a good band (imo) should have a relatively diverse catalogue of music. If not for any reason than to be able to capture a more diverse array of moods, feels, and emotions with their music.

Let's start here.     I love megadeth.  

Not many people in the world can play like Mustaine

I feel like this thread has moved from the original topic to a fight about Metallica. 

When I was a young drummer learning my craft, Metallica was perfect to help me learn simple basic drumming with rock solid easy fills.  

That is the nicest way I can describe Lars' drumming.    

He helped a 10 year old learn drums.  

I won't get into how boring, mind numbing, lame, boring, not fun, painfully boring it all is.  

Having said that, it is perfect for what Metallica does.  And that used to be cool before the Black album.  

For me personally, all the garbage they put out from Black and on, made me dislike them to the point of not even liking their old stuff anymore.  

They turned to pooh.  They listened to their labels, producers, and bank accounts and didn't listen to what the original fan base wanted.  

Hell, why wouldn't they do that?  

Id sell out for millions of dollars any day. 

People talk about it like it's a bad thing, then drive to their $&!#ty jobs they hate and sell themselves out everyday.

lets be honest.

A chance to sell out is a musicians dream.  

Who says you can't come back later with an awesome album later?   

Sure Metallica lost a lot of fans and respect, but I'm betting the new album will get a lot of those back.  

Its pretty dope I gotta say.  And I don't like them at all.  I've heard about 5 songs from it, and it sounds like old school Metallica 

Archived