The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For thrash metal fans

whcanuck

For all of you thrash metal fans, how would you rank the big 4 of Thrash Metal ie. Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax? Or if you'd like to include another band in there, absolutely nothing wrong with that. To spark discussion, could you explain your rankings? I'll get the ball rolling.

1. Megadeth- I actually think they are the most technically skilled and have the biggest discography. Are all the albums classics? Heck no, but Peace Sells, Rust in Peace and Countdown to Extinction are all great, great albums. Dave Mustaine's guitar playing is off the charts and the political anger in a lot of their lyrics makes them an engaging listen.

2. Slayer- By far the thrashiest and fastest of the big 4 imo. Their first five albums epitomize thrash metal and their speed and overall intensity on those records is virtually untouchable. Even 25-30 years after some of their best work, it's as intense as ever.

3. Anthrax- A lot of people probably rank them last, but I really like Among the Living and Persistence of Time. They're probably the least dark of the big 4, they even sound like they're having fun in a lot of their songs. I even like the John Bush era Anthrax in the early 90s.

4. Metallica- For a long time Metallica was my favorite band, I was obsessed with them in high school. Then I heard the other thrash bands and I think they've all stayed way closer to their roots than Metallica has.  I still really really like Metallica's 80s output as well as the Black Album. I'm not going to say they sold out as that's what pretty much everyone says who no longer likes Metallica. But I am going to say they've taken the most musical mis-steps since their popularity peak in the early 90s. I can't remember the last time I heard a really good Metallica record. 

How would you guys rank them?

Slayer ......... GODS 

german thrash metal bands like sodom and kreator or old brasilian sepultura are way better than megadeath , anthrax or metallica 

old metallica stuff is good though  ...anthrax and megadeath are okay but its not the thrash metal i like  ...to soft ...ya know what i mean?  lol

oh i forgot  ..INCUBUS   ..no no ..not those fracks 

straight late 80´s early 90´s in yer face thrash metal

Anthrax ruled because they showed people a different side of thrash and had so much fun. I'd agree with the OP's order, but as for live shows, Anthrax is at the top. Megadeth, and Slayer both bored me live every time I've gone, and Metallica is just pure cheese

Out of your top 4

Slayer

Metallica (Only up to and including "...Justice..")

Megadeth

Anthrax 

Mine-

Slayer

Metallica (same bracket)

Megadeth

Gwar+Misfits tie for 4th

Special mention to Iron Maiden for being the best metal band in history. Can't call em thrash though

There's a slew of fantastic thrash bands I could run with, but if you're going for the traditional big four I'd do it like this.

1. What would thrash be without Metallica? They were almost ahead of their own game. One could argue there are more talented thrash bands, but Metallica was a driving force behind thrash getting as big as it did. Some say they sold out, some say they lost their way. But I feel they've gotten back on the right track with Death Magnetic and Hardwired.

2. Maybe this list is a tad predictable, but like you said Megadeth may have been the most talented of the bunch. Their albums aren't all classics, but there are some real gems there. Gotta wonder what Metallica would have been like had Mustaine been retained but that's neither here nor there. They've paid their dues.

3. Honestly, of the big four Slayer is likely the band that has stayed truest to it's roots. They're still putting out the same stuff they were playing way back when, which isn't to say they haven't experimented either but when you listen to it you know it's Slayer.

4. Don't get me wrong, I love Anthrax but after their first few albums I feel they lost their way a bit. Of all the big four bands I'd say they're the ones who may have experimented the most and that's not even counting side projects. I think the number of vocalists they've had has hurt them a bit too. But since Joey's been back they've gotten back on track a bit. Worship Music was a phenomenal album.

One can't tip their hat to the big four without mentioning a few others though. Testament deserves to be right up there with them, and while Exodus never reached what they could have been they're noteworthy as well. As are Sodom, Kreator, Overkill and Death Angel. I'd also tip my hat to Canada's own Annihilator. They're stayed true to thrash and been waving that flag for the north since the 80's. Jeff Waters is a genius.

If you can get past the vocals those guys are absolutely phenomenal. Metal album of 2016 for me. Total riff machine.

Unfortunately though, the group on that album has already disbanded. Just band leader David Disanto remains. But at least he promised to keep writing more stuff.

Metallica is my favorite and has been all the others I like and many others but Metallica has been a step above the rest in my views!I have been to many concerts over the years and 4 times went to see Metallica.A family member recorded Aerosmith's album twice and played on it,I saw them twice and didn't know this till after,lol

12 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

If you can get past the vocals those guys are absolutely phenomenal. Metal album of 2016 for me. Total riff machine.

Unfortunately though, the group on that album has already disbanded. Just band leader David Disanto remains. But at least he promised to keep writing more stuff.

My band got to play with Vektor back in November at their last Vancouver show ever! They played for like 90 minutes... what madness. They were absolutely insane though. Amazing album!

1) Metallica- Easily the most popular of the four, and with good reason. The only one of the big four bands that was really able to combine heaviness with melody and catchiness.

Also, the whole "Only good till Justice/Black Album" argument is really archaic and outdated. Load is a fantastic record, as is their latest album, Hardwired To Self Destruct. Anybody that lives by this mantra is really just showing how musically unevolved they truly are.

2) Megadeth- While lacking the catchiness of Metallica, Megadeth more than make up for it with their technical virtuosity. The most musically interesting of the big four bands, Megadeth have always implemented strong melodies and a sense of real technicality into their music. Their latest album, Dystopia, is a great record, and really showcases a lot of Megadeth's strongest points.

3) Anthrax- Anthrax is a great band in it's own right, but seems to get a little lost in the shuffle when compared with the other three. They're not quite as standoutish as the other bands, but they have great musical chops and a catalogue of catchy tunes. Honestly, not as familiar with them as the other three bands tho.

4) Slayer- Yawn. There are only so many times I can listen to [-00000000000-] before I get bored. Easily the most one dimensional of the four bands.

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

1) Metallica- Easily the most popular of the four, and with good reason. The only one of the big four bands that was really able to combine heaviness with melody and catchiness.

Also, the whole "Only good till Justice/Black Album" argument is really archaic and outdated. Load is a fantastic record, as is their latest album, Hardwired To Self Destruct. Anybody that lives by this mantra is really just showing how musically unevolved they truly are.

2) Megadeth- While lacking the catchiness of Metallica, Megadeth more than make up for it with their technical virtuosity. The most musically interesting of the big four bands, Megadeth have always implemented strong melodies and a sense of real technicality into their music. Their latest album, Dystopia, is a great record, and really showcases a lot of Megadeth's strongest points.

3) Anthrax- Anthrax is a great band in it's own right, but seems to get a little lost in the shuffle when compared with the other three. They're not quite as standoutish as the other bands, but they have great musical chops and a catalogue of catchy tunes. Honestly, not as familiar with them as the other three bands tho.

4) Slayer- Yawn. There are only so many times I can listen to [-00000000000-] before I get bored. Easily the most one dimensional of the four bands.

Kinda funny you can call people "musically unevolved", because they hate post-Black, Metallica. Old school fans know they turned into a "hard country" act, now 20 years later, finally getting back to what they're actual good at. Metal

Yet in the same post, you accuse Slayer of riding open E to the point of boredom and claim they're "one dimensional". You've never actually listened to Slayer, have you?

2 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

One of the best albums start to finish of any genre I have ever bought.  And for me that's saying something as I'm a music geek.

i love metal.

on topic:

slayer

metallica

whatever after.

there are some good thrash metal bands out right now.  Not great or groundbreaking but good.

Edit

i would also also consider early meshuggah as quite thrashy.  And they are my top 5 favourite metal bands.

Archived