The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Canucks Retire Luongo's #1?

Adarsh Sant

Retire Luongo's #1?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ROH absolutely. Retirement, no.

As great as Lu was, for every big game he stole, he gave one away. If people were divisive on whether Bure deserved his number in the rafters, there is no way Lu's goes up. He was the best goalie we've ever had, but by the time he retires he'll have played the majority of his career for another team.

We can't just retire the number of every good player who has ever suited up for the Canucks. Next people will want Kesler's number retired.

Bobby Lu was/is my favorite player, and always will be (check the username). That being said, I am leaning towards a no on this one.

In my opinion, it should only be #16 up in the rafters right now, followed by #22 and #33 in due time. No disrespect to Smyl, Bure and Naslund, but the impact that Trevor had and with what the Twins have done goes beyond on-ice production. True Canucks in every sense of the word. 

29 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

Absolutely not! 

Ring of honor or nothing.

We should retire Cory's though ;) 

Jokes aside, I'm a little on the fence on this one. Ring of honour at the very least... He's by far the best goalie to play for us. During the time he played for us, he was arguably top 5 goalie in the league every single year. 

My final verdict is, considering the #s we have retired... Especially with bures who left our city although in different fashion, I think luongo deserves it more than Pavel. 

That being said, at 448 games played... Its tough to retire a number. 

But then again, if you're gonna retire bures... How can you not retire luongos? 

I think Bure should have been ring of honour and as for luongo, you gotta think about it. 

But to have bures #1 hanging, when luongo did more for this franchise... It would be a shame 

Considering how little bures done for Vancouver since departing, it just bothers me that he's retired. How many events has he even shown up to? 

Just now, RobertoLuongo. said:

Bobby Lu was/is my favorite player, and always will be (check the username). That being said, I am leaning towards a no on this one.

In my opinion, it should only be #16 up in the rafters right now, followed by #22 and #33 in due time. No disrespect to Bure and Naslund, but the impact that Trevor had and with what the Twins have done goes beyond on-ice production. True Canucks in every sense of the word. 

I notice you didn't even mention Smyl.

18 minutes ago, timmylu1 said:

You sir, are the reason Canucks "fans" burnt down the city..

Haha get real, the riot was incited by people who planned to riot win or lose. It's wasn't Canuck fans solely who did this, although there were thousands in attendance and some that partook. 

You sir, are the reason Canucks fans have a bad name.

Onto bigger and better things, although I have a luongo jersey, I don't feel he has what it takes to have his number retired. Pavel was an exception of a crybaby getting his number in the rafters (cried to leave the team, not for his number). Why should history repeat itself and have another crybaby up there? ROH? Yes.

2 minutes ago, Beeekz37 said:

Haha get real, the riot was incited by people who planned to riot win or lose. It's wasn't Canuck fans solely who did this, although there were thousands in attendance and some that partook. 

You sir, are the reason Canucks fans have a bad name.

Onto bigger and better things, although I have a luongo jersey, I don't feel he has what it takes to have his number retired. Pavel was an exception of a crybaby getting his number in the rafters (cried to leave the team, not for his number). Why should history repeat itself and have another crybaby up there? ROH? Yes.

is there a ring of honour for being the best in your sport at twitter ??

Luongo won a lot of regular season games for the Canucks and split a Jennings with Schneider, that is all. Kirk McLean did everything for the Canucks that Luongo did, minus the Jennings, and his #1 isn't in the rafters. He is in the RoH, same should be for Luongo.

I don't even know why it's being debated. It's not about what some doom and gloom fans think.  It's what the organization thinks. 

Luongo deserved way better than the way he left, being ran out of town and not starting in the winter classic and the whole goalie controversy Gillis created was handled like an absolute joke.

Before Luongo we were a goalie graveyard. If Kirk McLean is in the ROH then number 1 Luongo will 100% be in the rafters, Mark my words.

It will be the organization apologizing for Gillis' mess and a well deserved honour. Cup or no cup, this team which was a goalie graveyard much like the flyers today, now will have a goalie in their history that was a top 3 goalie all time in wins. 

Lu to the rafters

26 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I lean towards no, but to be honest, Lu is basically the Bure of the modern era.

Bure was a Canuck for seven seasons and played 428 games with the team.

Lu was a Canuck for eight seasons and played 448 games with the team.

Bure was among the most dynamic scorers in his era, leading the NHL in goals once (1993-94).

Lu was among the greatest goaltenders in his era, leading the NHL in wins once (in 2010-11).

Bure helped the team to a 7-game Stanley Cup Finals (1994).

Lu helped the team to a 7-game Stanley Cup Finals (2011).

As I said, I lean towards no for Luongo, but if we retired Bure's number then it seems to indicate that Luongo's number should be retired too.

This is a really good comparison. Like with Bure, the Ring of Honour just felt like it would be too little of an honour, but retiring his number maybe a bit too much. I feel the same way about Luongo. In my opinion, its an honour that should remain exclusive and I think the way Bure's number was handled (waiting until he'd been retired for 10 years to do it) undermined how special a jersey retirement is. I hope whenever Luongo retires, that management decides what to do right away and doesn't let it drag on.

I always associated jersey retirement with service to the team rather than the personal achievements whereas I view HHOF as associated more with the personal achievements regardless of the team. For example, if player A scores 70 goals for 10 seasons but each year with a different team, he should get into HHOF but he probably won't get his jersey retired by any team. On the contrary, if player B scores 30 goals per season for 15 seasons all with the same team, then I think the player may get his jersey retired by the team although he may not get into the HHOF.

So, as much as I love Luongo, I think no is the correct answer. 7 years of work is not too short but considering the fact that he didn't win any personal award (Vezina) nor Stanley cup, I think he would have had to played here longer to get his jersey retired. For example, if he got all those wins as a Canuck, then for sure. 

Lunogo had 252 wins (if my math is correct) as a Canuck. Kirk McLean had 202 wins as a Canuck (again, if my math is correct). Luongo is definitely a better goalie and he may go to hall of fame based on his achievements but like Kirk McLean didn't get his jersey retired by the Canucks, Luongo won't get his jersey retired by the Canucks.

Archived