The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Canucks Retire Luongo's #1?

Adarsh Sant

Retire Luongo's #1?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Aside from Bure the Sedins and maybe Linden... No one deserves to have their jersey retired.. Its time to stop rewarding mediocrity in my opinion. 

Imagine if the Canucks ever win a Stanley cup (yes I know very hard to picture ;P ), they'll retire / add to the ROH, the entire team....

The thought of retiring Luongos number is just silly. He won nothing, whinned quite a bit and then made it so he ended up in Florida where we got not much back for him. I loved Luo when he first signed but if they retire his number I will personally show up to BOO and not LOOO. 

Retired numbers isn't something that should be done so lightly

1 minute ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Aside from Bure the Sedins and maybe Linden... No one deserves to have their jersey retired.. Its time to stop rewarding mediocrity in my opinion. 

Imagine if the Canucks ever win a Stanley cup (yes I know very hard to picture ;P ), they'll retire / add to the ROH, the entire team....

Yes, we should not reward mediocrity.  What about this fight to become a bubble playoff team?  Heck, aren't we trying to attain mediocrity?  The entire mindset (philosophical approach) is to be average.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, we should not reward mediocrity.  What about this fight to become a bubble playoff team?  Heck, aren't we trying to attain mediocrity?  The entire mindset (philosophical approach) is to be average.

Yep, I am not a fan of being satisfied just squeaking into the playoffs for sure. That said, players should always play to win and I am definitely against tanking on purpose.

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gotta learn to walk before you learn to run.

12 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I think there's more to retiring a players number than winning a cup. Years and quality of service is the biggest part to me. As good as Bure was I don't think he played nearly enough games here nor had the connection, or commitment, to the city and team that Smyl, Linden, and Naslund did. Bure should have been RoH in my opinion.

I think the fact that there is this much debate about whether Lu should have his number retired is itself a strong enough argument that it shouldn't be. Nobody argues against the Sedins having their number retired, because it's a given. They clearly deserve it. 

The whole point of the Ring of Honour was for cases like Luongo.

On 1/23/2017 at 10:11 PM, ajhockey said:

I lean towards no, but to be honest, Lu is basically the Bure of the modern era.

Bure was a Canuck for seven seasons and played 428 games with the team.

Lu was a Canuck for eight seasons and played 448 games with the team.

Bure was among the most dynamic scorers in his era, leading the NHL in goals once (1993-94).

Lu was among the greatest goaltenders in his era, leading the NHL in wins once (in 2010-11).

Bure helped the team to a 7-game Stanley Cup Finals (1994).

Lu helped the team to a 7-game Stanley Cup Finals (2011).

As I said, I lean towards no for Luongo, but if we retired Bure's number then it seems to indicate that Luongo's number should be retired too.

That's where I'm at...

At the end of the day though... Luongo was happy to stay after all the dust was settled. It wasn't until that moron Torts got involved and ruined things.

I think Bure left more on purpose than Luongo.

Bure should have been Ring of Honoured. Luongo is higher up in the Canucks food chain IMO. If Bure is retired, it would be an insult not to retire Luongos. When all is said and done, he'll arguably be one of the top 3 goalies all time.

Luongo should get the ROH only.

If he had won at least one Vezina , and/or stayed with the Canucks for a few more years I would say yes. He was the best goalie we ever had.

Bure is debatable but I would take him over Lui to have his jersey raised.

He was the most exciting player of the 90's, he is in the HOF, has won 3 awards(2 x rocket richards, calder) He was the best in his position in his prime. Luongo was not.

All that said he left on bad terms, and didn't put the time in so he should have been in the ROH only.

Having your jersey raised should reflect a players value to the team, leadership, and long term dedication.

Neither player supports this criteria

Archived