The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Burrows and the team know it was his last game?

danjr

In the Burrows after hours segment, he actually looks very choked up.  Most hockey guys are really composed at all times.  In my opinion he looked like he was about to lose it on a large number of the questions.  Looked like lots of tongue and cheek biting to stifle the body from giving it away.

The timing couldn't have been any better to also have the guy go out with the two guys who brought his career to it's greatest heights.  He deftly avoided the questions about waving and Jim Benning.  Then he referenced his wife and how she was so willing to agree to whatever was needed for his career.

Then you factor in having to negotiate the extension to the contract, lots of times a contract negotiation can take months and almost a full season.  To get it done and move him out so quick after a game leaves you to wonder, how long ago was the deal finalized, but waiting on the legal documentation?  Could he have known he was going about a week ago?

It is just an intriguing concept that we the fans will rarely ever get to glimpse the true inner workings of a NHL franchise.

I for one am thankful we got something for him, thankful he got to go out with his linemates and thankful he gets another shot at the playoffs and maybe a good run.

He's known for quite a while he could be moved. Good video above.

Burrows said in his press conference yesterday that the deal came up quickly and he had to make a decision but before that looked at Ottawa as a good fit.

If anything, I'd say that once Dahlen was on the table, JB had to move quickly to get a decision from Burrows.

Don't think there's anything more to it than that.

31 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

They must have had a pretty good idea, or knew full on it was coming.  You don't just spring a trade on a guy like Burrows (who also has a NTC).  I didn't watch the game, he got to play with the Sedins?

You know what, that just occurred to me. Yeah Burrows played with the Sedins for the whole game for the first time in like a year and a half. And presumably it would be the last time in his hockey career. What a farewell, it's like management was sending him off on a high note.

57 minutes ago, danjr said:

In the Burrows after hours segment, he actually looks very choked up.  Most hockey guys are really composed at all times.  In my opinion he looked like he was about to lose it on a large number of the questions.  Looked like lots of tongue and cheek biting to stifle the body from giving it away.

The timing couldn't have been any better to also have the guy go out with the two guys who brought his career to it's greatest heights.  He deftly avoided the questions about waving and Jim Benning.  Then he referenced his wife and how she was so willing to agree to whatever was needed for his career.

Then you factor in having to negotiate the extension to the contract, lots of times a contract negotiation can take months and almost a full season.  To get it done and move him out so quick after a game leaves you to wonder, how long ago was the deal finalized, but waiting on the legal documentation?  Could he have known he was going about a week ago?

It is just an intriguing concept that we the fans will rarely ever get to glimpse the true inner workings of a NHL franchise.

I for one am thankful we got something for him, thankful he got to go out with his linemates and thankful he gets another shot at the playoffs and maybe a good run.

He is choked up because he had to apologize to Patrick O Sullivan for the 100th time.........  dude, move on man....

Burrows was probably expecting something since Montreal expressed some interest a couple weeks ago, but probably wasn't certain.  Nik Antropov once said "I think I'm pretty safe" and 2 days later got traded from Toronto to the Rangers, so no I don't think players know until the GM's gives the nod.

Burr was choking up because he had to sit beside that yellow 'journalist' on his left.

Scott Oak was one of those from CBC that held referee apologist witch hunt against Burrows, and the Canucks.

Auger no longer works in the NHL.  Burrows won, in so many ways.

Archived