The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Ducks, March 5th @ 4:30 pm, Sportsnet

Beary Sweet

3 hours ago, bohoforpresident said:

Hoping the canucks continue to stick it to the ever pathetic tank nation. Really uninspiring threads and fan base on here. More so just a bunch of people telling the same lame jokes in every thread and handing out rep to each other in a big fire willie/megnas a plug circle jerk. 

There's no reason to rush these players. Maybe you think the season is a write off but the boys are still trying to win games. Sorry they won't lay down and die like you would. Its called having character and pride. Pride in wearing the jersey.  Horvats pride in wearing the A. Putting the team before yourself.

I've said it before..

You would think all the people who advocated for a rebuild (and laughably think it just started this TDL) would be more understanding to player development. 

You're like kids smashing two toys together and calling it playing.

giphy.gif.d20caf7b08ca50bbf519007fdfdea35d.gif

I like how you brought up the point of trying to win games. Nobody should try losing on purpose no matter what the situation is. I understand about the talk about the early draft pick but the thought of laying down and losing on purpose sounds cowardly to me. Love how the guys put in a solid effort every night.

3 hours ago, TU90 said:

Yea, how dare people be angry that one of the few exciting players on this team barely got to play after scoring a beautiful goal.

It's almost like people want to be entertained. Ridiculous.

Yeah, it's almost like the coach, who has practically no knowledge of the capabilities and capacities of a brand new player should be cautious with his deployment.  It would have been terrible if Goldobin after making himself a hero with a great goal, would have been a goat with a giveaway or two.  Jesus you people are ridiculous.  WD has said Goldobin, like everybody else, has to earn his ice time.  To do differently because he's the flavor of the week would be a disservice to every other player who has had to earn his ice!  Patience is a virtue.

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

Everyone's going to be watching Goldy's minutes tonight, and rightfully so. Five mins of ice-time in his debut game is a joke. Willie's excuse that Goldy doesn't know 'the system' is a joke. The system I saw last night once the Canucks got four goals was scrambling like mad, refusing to go for any more offense, and pure panic. Quite frankly, I hope Goldy doesn't learn that system.  I really couldn't have cared whether the Canucks won last night. In fact, now that the playoffs are essentially out of the picture, my main interest is watching the new players develop. It's not to watch the Sedins continue to take 2 minute minors for hooking, or to see their 'minus' seasons grow.

My gut is telling me that Willie is trying to transform Goldy's personality and instincts. Goldy comes in pretty flashy, perhaps viewed by some as a bit cocky, telling us that his play will be enough to describe the player he is. Willie sees and hears this and decides to simply bench Goldy, especially after he scores a goal. Willie is absolutely spoiled by the Sedins' personalities because they have zero swagger / cockiness, but teams need players that have this element, and players who take some defensive gambles to make the offense happen.  This team's system has been so stale that we have one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. This is as much to do with the system as it is the players.   

I don't like WD or his strategy/deployment, but it's hard to argue about his approach with young players.  Pretty much every young player that has come in, under WD has got the same treatment and has, eventually exceeded expectations.  I'm not sure how people can deny that.

I hope Boucher is in today..

Saw this on Botchford's provies article from last night..

"So Reid Boucher went from the fourth line to the press box after a great game in which he was first star, in a loss.

Reid Boucher is 23 years old. Megna is 27.

• Both were in the AHL last season.
  • Boucher had 32 points in 34 games. Megna had 44 in 68.
  • Boucher has played 95 NHL games. Megna has played 99.
  • In those 95 NHL games, Boucher has 31 points. In those 99 NHL games, Megna has 19.
  • Each has played roughly 1,000 even strength minutes in the past four years. Boucher has a 48.9 shot attempt differential.
  • Megna is at 46 per cent.
  •  

Maybe someone can. but I can find no way to make a case that Megna is a better players than Boucher.

You can’t even argue Megna is more experienced.

Boucher is younger, has more potential and, by any measure I can uncork, is a better player. Right now.

But what really makes this scratch maddening is that Goldobin and Boucher are former teammates. They were on the same line with the Sarnia Sting in the OHL. They were Sarnia’s top line and for the season combined for 92 goals."

Edit: Boucher and Goldobin were also linemates in juniors and their line combined for 18 points one game - link: https://www.nhl.com/news/sarault-boucher-and-goldobin-combine-for-18-points-as-sting-crush-otters/c-657018

Read the full article here: http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/the-provies-goldygate-willie-watch-and-a-confrontation-with-team-tank

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I'm hoping Goldobin gets 10 minutes tonight.

I'd bet money we'll see him in that ball park, it depends on penalties.  The second half of last night's game was riddled with penalties and was the direct cause of Goldys limited use........of course, the vocal minority isn't able to compute that.

35 minutes ago, apollo said:

With a win we'll be 5 points out of a playoff spot... 

Honestly if we had a competent coach... We could make the push. 

Jim and Trevor deserve to be fired for not ending Willie's job. They are just as responsible. 

I do agree with that 

we could have made it had we moved like Boston and Montreal but we accepted Willie's insanity 

3 minutes ago, MaxLapierreAwesomeFace said:

I hope Boucher is in today..

Saw this on Botchford's provies article from last night..

"So Reid Boucher went from the fourth line to the press box after a great game in which he was first star, in a loss.

Reid Boucher is 23 years old. Megna is 27.

• Both were in the AHL last season.
  • Boucher had 32 points in 34 games. Megna had 44 in 68.
  • Boucher has played 95 NHL games. Megna has played 99.
  • In those 95 NHL games, Boucher has 31 points. In those 99 NHL games, Megna has 19.
  • Each has played roughly 1,000 even strength minutes in the past four years. Boucher has a 48.9 shot attempt differential.
  • Megna is at 46 per cent.
  •  

Maybe someone can. but I can find no way to make a case that Megna is a better players than Boucher.

You can’t even argue Megna is more experienced.

Boucher is younger, has more potential and, by any measure I can uncork, is a better player. Right now.

But what really makes this scratch maddening is that Goldobin and Boucher are former teammates. They were on the same line with the Sarnia Sting in the OHL. They were Sarnia’s top line and for the season combined for 92 goals."

Edit: Boucher and Goldobin were also linemates in juniors and their line combined for 18 points one game - link: https://www.nhl.com/news/sarault-boucher-and-goldobin-combine-for-18-points-as-sting-crush-otters/c-657018

Read the full article here: http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/the-provies-goldygate-willie-watch-and-a-confrontation-with-team-tank

While I don't like seeing Meygna get top 6 mins, unless there's a manpower shortage, there is nothing wrong with his game as a bottom 6 player.  He's fast, defensively responsible and isn't a liability out there most nights.  Just the target the ill informed have chosen.......the King of the Idiots is just fuelling that fire.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

While I don't like seeing Meygna get top 6 mins, unless there's a manpower shortage, there is nothing wrong with his game as a bottom 6 player.  He's fast, defensively responsible and isn't a liability out there most nights.  Just the target the ill informed have chosen.......the King of the Idiots is just fuelling that fire.

Agree that Megna is a good bottom 6 player - disagree that he should be given more opportunities over young forwards who may benefit the future of this team more than Megna. 

13 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Yeah, it's almost like the coach, who has practically no knowledge of the capabilities and capacities of a brand new player should be cautious with his deployment.  It would have been terrible if Goldobin after making himself a hero with a great goal, would have been a goat with a giveaway or two.  Jesus you people are ridiculous.  WD has said Goldobin, like everybody else, has to earn his ice time.  To do differently because he's the flavor of the week would be a disservice to every other player who has had to earn his ice!  Patience is a virtue.

Yes, shelter him, don't completely bench him.

The people defending WD are the only ridiculous people here. I guarantee Benning is just as pissed off as most of the people here.

Just now, TU90 said:

The people defending WD are the only ridiculous people here. I guarantee Benning is just as pissed off as most of the people here.

Penalties and he's on neither the pk or the pp.  No one who watched the game should have been surprised.  

1 minute ago, TU90 said:

Difference is Benning is the only one who has the ability to do anything about it 

just wish he would have the nads to get it over with because it looks like Willie is winning the battle of wills right now 

show Willie who the boss is JB 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Penalties and he's on neither the pk or the pp.  No one who watched the game should have been surprised.  

I do think most of the whiners last night are either utterly clueless with how to handle rookies or just toi watchers on nhl.com. 

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Difference is Benning is the only one who has the ability to do anything about it 

just wish he would have the nads to get it over with because it looks like Willie is winning the battle of wills right now 

The difference is Benning has actually played hockey, he understands.  I'm sure he would have preferred more ice time, but also saw that it was all special teams in the second half.

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

What is the point of firing the coach now? Also isn't a top 5 what most here want? 

Archived