The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Ducks, March 5th @ 4:30 pm, Sportsnet

Beary Sweet

Everyone's going to be watching Goldy's minutes tonight, and rightfully so. Five mins of ice-time in his debut game is a joke. Willie's excuse that Goldy doesn't know 'the system' is a joke. The system I saw last night once the Canucks got four goals was scrambling like mad, refusing to go for any more offense, and pure panic. Quite frankly, I hope Goldy doesn't learn that system.  I really couldn't have cared whether the Canucks won last night. In fact, now that the playoffs are essentially out of the picture, my main interest is watching the new players develop. It's not to watch the Sedins continue to take 2 minute minors for hooking, or to see their 'minus' seasons grow.

My gut is telling me that Willie is trying to transform Goldy's personality and instincts. Goldy comes in pretty flashy, perhaps viewed by some as a bit cocky, telling us that his play will be enough to describe the player he is. Willie sees and hears this and decides to simply bench Goldy, especially after he scores a goal. Willie is absolutely spoiled by the Sedins' personalities because they have zero swagger / cockiness, but teams need players that have this element, and players who take some defensive gambles to make the offense happen.  This team's system has been so stale that we have one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. This is as much to do with the system as it is the players.   

6 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Everyone's going to be watching Goldy's minutes tonight, and rightfully so. Five mins of ice-time in his debut game is a joke. Willie's excuse that Goldy doesn't know 'the system' is a joke. The system I saw last night once the Canucks got four goals was scrambling like mad, refusing to go for any more offense, and pure panic. Quite frankly, I hope Goldy doesn't learn that system.  I really couldn't have cared whether the Canucks won last night. In fact, now that the playoffs are essentially out of the picture, my main interest is watching the new players develop. It's not to watch the Sedins continue to take 2 minute minors for hooking, or to see their 'minus' seasons grow.

My gut is telling me that Willie is trying to transform Goldy's personality and instincts. Goldy comes in pretty flashy, perhaps viewed by some as a bit cocky, telling us that his play will be enough to describe the player he is. Willie sees and hears this and decides to simply bench Goldy, especially after he scores a goal. Willie is absolutely spoiled by the Sedins' personalities because they have zero swagger / cockiness, but teams need players that have this element, and players who take some defensive gambles to make the offense happen.  This team's system has been so stale that we have one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. This is as much to do with the system as it is the players.   

Well said , if I could give you more then 1 plus I would, I honestly don't see how anyone could agree with willies coaching strategy on this one, he absolutely dropped the ball and should be called out on it.

Minor league move by a coach trying to save his own ass from being canned , don't let the door hit you on the way out Willie 

13 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I don't know. Willie's ways have worked with horvat, baer, granlund, tryamkin, stecher. These guys all bring a consistent effort under Wd. I'd say he knows more about developing young talent than we do. 

8 minutes ago, tkanuk said:

I don't know. Willie's ways have worked with horvat, baer, granlund, tryamkin, stecher. These guys all bring a consistent effort under Wd. I'd say he knows more about developing young talent than we do. 

This^ 

Amazing how many players have developed under him here and the whining still continues. 

CDC needs to learn some patience especially during a rebuild. 

I like what Paul Maurice is doing with Laine. He knows he's an offensive threat, and goal scorer, and he's giving him free reign to do that, and not obsess over his defensive game. Maurice feels his defensive game will come over time. I just don't want Goldobin to be held back and his development stifled. Keep him with good defensively responsible line mates and let him do his thing.

42 minutes ago, Slegr said:

had to beat up my older brother last night for saying about the same dumb thing

Another 3 point night for Horvat (2g, 1a).

Eriksson with a goal

Baertschi with 2 points (2a)

And one goal from Sutter assisted by Goldy

4-2 Canucks

17 minutes ago, Shaelon said:

A loss by STL and a win by Vancouver, and this team is 5 pts back of a playoff spot with even # games left against the kings

The Kings looked awful last night....They're going to miss the playoffs if they cannot get it together...I'm not a tanker,but at this point,every game we win is just taking us farther away from drafting that 'impact' player at the draft.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I know how you feel.  The kid scores a big goal, and gets benched for leaving the dzone too early.  

Willie:

"I sat him for the 3rd period because he doesn't know our system yet"

How hard is it to learn dump and retreat?

24 minutes ago, Shaelon said:

A loss by STL and a win by Vancouver, and this team is 5 pts back of a playoff spot with even # games left against the kings

1st round exit meh, rather be bad for a few years and then good for a few years... Don't wanna be just average for the next 15 years.

Archived