The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Ducks, March 5th @ 4:30 pm, Sportsnet

Beary Sweet

9 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Good points Deb 

i thought about that as well. If we hang all our season hopes on the kid it's too much pressure and if we don't let him loose to a degree we may also send the wrong message. 

I just see see a little Bure in the kid and under the environment we are in (can't really make the playoffs) I feel when not let him loose a bit and see what we have. That's what JB said after we got him. 

More than that, things like sitting out Boucher and the Megna favouritism has gone on too long for me to accept. Even Willie's  use of Bo is maddening. Watching Megna out late or on the PP when we simply could have moved Bo the the first line pp. 

its all about rewarding hard work and results and I don't see that happening under Willie  

When you eliminate the personal insults, you make some good points and I'm more inclined to actually engage in discussion with you......which is why we're all here.

As I've said, I can't stand WD's deployment of players or his strategy, but he knows how to read young players and knows how to give them just enough to feel good about their game and not risk their confidence.

Goldy can look at his first game as a Canuck and say he scored a highlight reel game winner and not have to think about costly defensive mistakes late in the game.  Willie can give the kid a pat on the shoulder, tell him he had a great game and not have to lecture him.  If he's playing well but still getting 5-8 mins at the end of the season, I'm with you.  Right now, I'm of the bring him in slowly train.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

When you eliminate the personal insults, you make some good points and I'm more inclined to actually engage in discussion with you......which is why we're all here.

As I've said, I can't stand WD's deployment of players or his strategy, but he knows how to read young players and knows how to give them just enough to feel good about their game and not risk their confidence.

Goldy can look at his first game as a Canuck and say he scored a highlight reel game winner and not have to think about costly defensive mistakes late in the game.  Willie can give the kid a pay on the shoulder, tell he had a great game and not have to have to lecture him.  If he's playing well but still getting 5-8 mins at the end of the season, I'm with you.  Right now, I'm of the bring him in slowly train.

Points taken 

I need to cut back on the steroids :)

REFEREES

Kyle Rehman (#10) Dan O’Halloran (#13)
  NHLHS_10.jpg 130p_ohalloran.jpg
Games 16-17 56 55
Career Games 514 1283
First NHL Game 1/22/08 10/1/95
Birthplace Stettler, AB Essex, ON
Goals/Gm 5.7 (7) 5.6 (12)
PP/Gm 3.1 (19) 3.2 (13)
Penl/Gm 4.1 (12) 3.8 (24)
PIM/Gm 10.0 (10) 8.9 (27)
% of Penl on Home 47.0% (23) 48.0% (11)
More Penl on Rd % 12.0% (13) 10.0% (18)
Home Win % 57.0% (23) 53.0% (33)
Home Rec. 32-24 29-26
OT/SO Games 29.0% (9) 31.0% (5)
Calls by Period 1st 2nd 3rd 1st 2nd 3rd
2016-17 33% 35% 32% 32% 37% 31%
Team Records 16-17 15-16 14-15 16-17 15-16 14-15
VAN 0-3 0-5 2-4 2-2 0-5 4-2
ANA 3-1 3-1 4-3 3-1 3-1 4-2

LINESMEN

Shane Heyer (#55) Darren Gibbs (#66)
  130p_heyer.jpg 130p_gibbs.jpg
Games 16-17 57 62
Career Games 1927 1247
First NHL Game 10/6/88 10/1/97
Birthplace Summerland, BC Edmonton, AB

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

Goldy can look at his first game as a Canuck and say he scored a highlight reel game winner and not have to think about costly defensive mistakes late in the game.  Willie can give the kid a pat on the shoulder, tell him he had a great game and not have to lecture him.  If he's playing well but still getting 5-8 mins at the end of the season, I'm with you.  Right now, I'm of the bring him in slowly train.

I'm with Gooseberries thinking that it was not "restricted ice time" he was "benched" for the rest of the game and how can he look at that as a positive? Plus I am sure glad Bure was not given restricted/sheltered minutes as he managed to score 34 goals his 1st year in the NHL and then proceeded to score 2 back to back 60 goal seasons.

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

I'm with Gooseberries thinking that it was not "restricted ice time" he was "benched" for the rest of the game and how can he look at that as a positive? Plus I am sure glad Bure was not given restricted/sheltered minutes as he managed to score 34 goals his 1st year in the NHL and then proceeded to score 2 back to back 60 goal seasons.

Maybe with the fans demanding to see our young guys, Willie might not see the end of this season?  

Just now, EdgarM said:

Why would he bench him?  That makes no sense and, as much as I dislike him, WD doesn't bench for no reason.  Down 4-0 the Kings were getting chippy and dirty, and I'm sure WD was sheltering him from that.  In the 3rd there were 5 penalties and half of the period was played on special teams.  Once back to 5v5, WD is going to give the bulk of that ice time to the twins and to Bo's line.  Once the lead was mostly gone, WD went into win mode and put his most trusted defensive players out there to protect the lead.  

It sucks, but I can see why it unfolded the way it did.  Most coaches would have done the same thing.

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why would he bench him?  That makes no sense and, as much as I dislike him, WD doesn't bench for no reason.  Down 4-0 the Kings were getting chippy and dirty, and I'm sure WD was sheltering him from that.  In the 3rd there were 5 penalties and half of the period was played on special teams.  Once back to 5v5, WD is going to give the bulk of that ice time to the twins and to Bo's line.  Once the lead was mostly gone, WD went into win mode and put his most trusted defensive players out there to protect the lead.  

It sucks, but I can see why it unfolded the way it did.  Most coaches would have done the same thing.

I have no problem with it as long as Willie took Goldy aside at the end of the game and told him why he was benched and gave him a confident pep talk.  Hopefully Willie handled it properly internally... which we are not privy to.  Young players can lose confidence quickly.  As a fan I was very disappointed that I didn't get to see more of Goldy play.  I think JB and WD need to discuss how they want to disperse playing time.  What are they trying to do here?  Develop?  Win?  Investigate?  I thinking winning should be secondary and the fans want to see the kids play!  We need to investigate players in certain roles.  Although WD wants to have a job and doesn't want to lose 19 straight games.  But, you never know the positive results if you don't try new things.  The old things are not working.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's a good question Why? Sorry but I don't think his defensive abilities can be any worse then the Twins or Larsen yet the Twins are still getting top ice time. Last year he was putting that loser Weber in key situations and Vey before that.

Similar to his top PP does NOT include his TOP point getter on the team.

I guess you know quite a few NHL coaches personally to make that last statement hey?

1 minute ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I have no problem with it as long as Willie took Goldy aside at the end of the game and told him why he was benched and gave him a confident pep talk.  Hopefully Willie handled it properly internally... which we are not privy to.  Young players can lose confidence quickly.  As a fan I was very disappointed that I didn't get to see more of Goldy play.  I think JB and WD need to discuss how they want to disperse playing time.  What are they trying to do here?  Develop?  Win?  Investigate?  I thinking winning should be secondary and the fans want to see the kids play!  We need to investigate players in certain roles.  Although WD wants to have a job and doesn't want to lose 19 straight games.  But, you never know the positive results if you don't try new things.  The old things are not working.

Would you agree that WD knows how to develop young players, that's it's clearly his strength as a coach?  I'm certain that JB does as he mentions it in almost every interview.  I can guarantee that Willie and Goldy had a good talk after the game.    

2nd Period -

Goldobin scored at 12:43 of the 2nd.

Daniel took a tripping penalty at 15:03

Kopitar scored on that PP at 16:40

If I remember correctly, Willie went with his altered post-PK lines, and Goldobin didn't see the ice for the rest of the period. (His biggest mistake IMO)

3rd Period -

Biega holding penalty at 1:41

Horvat delay of game at 4:50

Goldobin has now been out of the game for 12+ minutes of game time, plus the intermission. At this point, Willie doesn't feel like he can put Goldobin in a position to succeed. The Kings are manhandling us and it's chippy. Goldobin doesn't have much experience with the systems, and we're in full panic mode, do you still try to find him ice-time? Personally, I can understand the reasoning at this point in the game, but Willie's biggest mistake was not playing him after that PK midway through the second.

We ended up taking 2 more penalties and got thoroughly outplayed to finish the game. I know most here want to see the youth play, mistakes and all, but I feel that the circumstances in which the last half of that 2nd period and early 3rd didn't favour Goldobin. I do not agree with Willie's choice to not come back with him in the 2nd, but he was probably trying to get the momentum back and went with this go-to guys.

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

That's a good question Why? Sorry but I don't think his defensive abilities can be any worse then the Twins or Larsen yet the Twins are still getting top ice time. Last year he was putting that loser Weber in key situations and Vey before that.

Similar to his top PP does NOT include his TOP point getter on the team.

I guess you know quite a few NHL coaches personally to make that last statement hey?

You think Goldy has earned the right to as much ice time as the twins have earned?  The Sedins don't need to justify anything to anyone, they have carried this team on their backs for 10 years and have taken nothing but abuse, on the ice and off, the entire time.  That was Goldobins 12th NHL game......he'll have lots of chances to earn more ice time

1 minute ago, Fantomex said:

2nd Period -

Goldobin scored at 12:43 of the 2nd.

Daniel took a tripping penalty at 15:03

Kopitar scored on that PP at 16:40

If I remember correctly, Willie went with his altered post-PK lines, and Goldobin didn't see the ice for the rest of the period. (His biggest mistake IMO)

3rd Period -

Biega holding penalty at 1:41

Horvat delay of game at 4:50

Goldobin has now been out of the game for 12+ minutes of game time, plus the intermission. At this point, Willie doesn't feel like he can put Goldobin in a position to succeed. The Kings are manhandling us and it's chippy. Goldobin doesn't have much experience with the systems, and we're in full panic mode, do you still try to find him ice-time? Personally, I can understand the reasoning at this point in the game, but Willie's biggest mistake was not playing him after that PK midway through the second.

We ended up taking 2 more penalties and got thoroughly outplayed to finish the game. I know most here want to see the youth play, mistakes and all, but I feel that the circumstances in which the last half of that 2nd period and early 3rd didn't favour Goldobin. I do not agree with Willie's choice to not come back with him in the 2nd, but he was probably trying to get the momentum back and went with this go-to guys.

Exactly right.......it's just how the game played out, it happens all the time.

Archived