The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning - Potential to be one of our Best GM's ever?

BaerBoBoeser

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Hahahah good question. 

Ideally white tequila, followed by beer, then white wine and then vodka. 

Ive had too many bad nights drinking rum so I stay away. Whiskey gets me angry so I stay away from that too. 

I've been %100 sober for almost 3 weeks now though... Was super sick and just finished my antibiotics... Looking forward to this weekend lol 

tequila...i remember tequila...last time I drank tequila (years ago), we were on the golf course at a tournament, a shot glass strapped around my neck, before every tee off everyone in our foursome had to take a shot of tequila. After 12 shots of tequila (12 holes of golf), my half native partner (apparently some natives have a gene in their DNA that does allow them to handle alcohol very well...true story); anyhow, by the 13th hole, he was butt naked taking drives along the fair way for the last 3 holes...funniest thing I ever saw watching a guy putting on the green butt naked. He knew how to attract a crowd. We never did finish the tournament and can't remember if he got his clothes back.

Bonino was the glue that brought that team together...similar to Tkachuk in Calgary...hate to say it, but watch out for them Flames...they'll have to get past the Penguins though.

6 hours ago, apollo said:

Put Sutter on that team instead of Bonino and there's no cup. Plain and simple. Pittsburgh probably gets humiliated in the first round like they did the year before. Even if they win one round vs NYR, no way they get past Ovy or the Bolts. 

EDIT: God damn joke that Crosby won the Conn Smythe... everyone and their dog knew it was Bonino's trophy.  But yea minus 1 sid is better than +9 bonino... crosby had a whole 1 point more than Bones... Crosby is the lord of getting handed BS because he's the face of the game. 

Take a quick second and compare the two different teams and then realize how silly you are being.  Are you doing the apollo thing where you go way over the top on something to the point we aren't sure whether you are being serious or not??  Cause I'm there bud, as I'm sure a few of us are

2 hours ago, KKnight said:

Whose to say Jakes a right off yet?? i still think he can be a very effective player. I was talking about us losing the lottery last year. If we had stayed in our position we would have Puljujarvi. I love Juolevi and think he will have a great career, but Puljujarvi effectiveness? Probably not. 

I think Juolevi will have as much an impactful if not more impactful career as JPulli

I haven't seen alot of Pulli so bear that in mind but I have watched ALOT of Juolevi in the last 2years

He is a STUD and is going to be better at this level than in the OHL - he plays a pro game, thinks a pro game and is playing with kids who don't. His skating(mobility and speed), positioning and stick work are superb and his ability to break up an offensive play coming at him and then turn the play up ice in transition quickly with great outlets is really unmatched by many (even at the NHL level). He never panics with the puck, can QB a PP (as we saw in the WJC), has a hard accurate shot (wrist and slap) that he gets to the net and see's the ice extremely well. He's the guy we've been missing (prior to Stech) to really 'settle' down the PP. 

He isn't coming in with the bells and whistles that Doughty and Ekblad had because he's not a big guy who you 'notice' from him playing a selfish game - but he makes everybody on the ice around him better.

Many said he plays like Lidstrom and clearly those are ridiculous shoes to fill.However, I don't think from watching his game probably 60 times in 2 years (I have an OHL package and London is my team) that its not within his ability to be THAT good. I know alot will scream about that and those are lofty words - but he plays the same game, he has the quiet simpleness to his game.

This kid is a GEM people, a damn GEM, and he's got a competitive edge/hates to lose / mentality of Bo but as a defender. He and Bo will be the A/C of the next core guaranteed.

Mark this post but I really believe in 15 years, we will be saying, he is the best defenseman to ever wear a nucks jersey. Assuming of course he reaches his potential. But his ceiling is that high

I really do laugh at those who say Tkachuk! Tkachuk - This guy given he's a dman has so much more value to a team simply based on trade value than a winger but moreso that players like him, that will 'drive the offense and defense from the back end' don't come around often.

Anyone who's played the game knows, offense starts in your own end, from puck recovery to the first pass out, the outlet / exit from your zone - he's a master at that who will do for our future snipers what Erhoff did for the twins (but in spades more). Guys like Tkatchuk don't 'drive' the game, they contribute- you can find that via UFA and tbh we don't really need it anymore given recent trades!

38 minutes ago, BaerBoBoeser said:

I think Juolevi will have as impactful if nor more impactful career as JPulli

I haven't seen alot of Pulli so bear that in mind but I have watched ALOT of Juolevi in the last 2years

He is a STUD and is going to be better at this level than in the OHL - he plays a pro game, thinks a pro game and is playing with kids who don't. His skating(mobility and speed), positioning and stick work are superb and his ability to break up an offensive play coming at him and then turn the play up ice in transition quickly with great outlets is really unmatched by many.

He isn't coming in with the bells and whistles as Doughty and Ekblad because he's not a big guy who you 'notice' from him playing a selfish game - but he makes everybody on the ice with him better.

Many said he plays like Lidstrom and clearly those are ridiculous shoes to fill. I don't think from watching his game probably 60 times in 2 years (Have and OHL package and London is my team) that its not within his ability to be THAT good. I know alot will scream about that and its lofty words - but he plays the same game, he has the quiet simpleness to his game.

This kid is a GEM people, a damn GEM, and he's got a competitive edge/hates to lose / mentality of Bo but as a defender. He and Bo will be the A/C of the next core guaranteed.

Mark this post but I really believe in 15 years, we will be saying, he is the best defenseman to ever wear a nucks jersey. Assuming of course he reaches his potential. But his ceiling is that high

Thx for that close up update.

I've watched a few of his games this year on my box & what U say to some degree, I seen as well... 

Looking forward to seeing his camp here...

7 hours ago, apollo said:

Put Sutter on that team instead of Bonino and there's no cup. Plain and simple. Pittsburgh probably gets humiliated in the first round like they did the year before. Even if they win one round vs NYR, no way they get past Ovy or the Bolts. 

EDIT: God damn joke that Crosby won the Conn Smythe... everyone and their dog knew it was Bonino's trophy.  But yea minus 1 sid is better than +9 bonino... crosby had a whole 1 point more than Bones... Crosby is the lord of getting handed BS because he's the face of the game. 

Apollo Apollo Apollo...:sadno:

I don't mind U overall, but This^...:picard:

3 minutes ago, hearditall said:

Thx for that close up update.

I've watched a few of his games this year on my box & what U say to some degree, I seen as well... 

Looking forward to seeing his camp here...

My worry is he's going to have Jake issues somewhat (junior or nhl issues too young for the ahl). I think if I'm not wrong, if he doesn't make the team next year he needs to go back to Junior - cant go to the AHL. While London is a factory and great coaching he's better off in the AHL now I think.

I hope he works out very hard and builds up his strength so that he sticks. I wonder if he could go to Europe for a year if not?

1 minute ago, BaerBoBoeser said:

My worry is he's going to have Jake issues somewhat (age issues). I think if I'm not wrong, if he doesn't make the team next year he needs to go back to Junior - cant go to the AHL. While London is a factory and great coaching he's better off in the AHL now I think.

I hope he works out very hard and builds up his strength so that he sticks. I wonder if he could go to Europe for a year if not?

U are right on that he's not AHL eligible next year.

Yah I guess Europe is an option. I believe that path worked  out for Mr. Mathews...

I'm hoping he can crack this line-up, but understand that another year of developing doesn't hurt if that's whats needed.

9 minutes ago, hearditall said:

Yah I guess Europe is an option. I believe that path worked  out for Mr. Mathews...

I'm hoping he can crack this line-up, but understand that another year of developing doesn't hurt if that's whats needed.

My guess is given the Nucks D next year (assuming we don't see one of Taven/Gud/Edler) moved during the draft (and I think unlikely) there really isn't room for him anyways

I suspect you see Tanev or Eddy moved next deadline though

Edler/Tanev

Hutton/Gud

Try/Stech

Bulldog and likely sign a depth guy or Pedan

Assuming Sbisa is lost in expansion - but if not then we have even less room. So I can't see them not wanting him to get pro experience - I guess maybe it will be Europe

I've often posted here in support of Linden and Benning providing you grant three years to clean up and make over the Gillis tenure and we have arrived.

Two to three years later into the makeover the Canucks will be hated once again around the league, it's what we do best!

It's not a race, it's a process. Enjoy watching the development like we did into 1994 and 2011.

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

Can add LE to your list, and when the Sedins are extended, you can really flip noodle.

I don't agree with that.  I think Vrbata & Miller were the beginning of the retool and attempt at playoffs.  Eriksson was the end of that strategy.  The new strategy, adopted at this trade deadline, is rebuilding. 

3 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

I don't agree with that.  I think Vrbata & Miller were the beginning of the retool and attempt at playoffs.  Eriksson was the end of that strategy.  The new strategy, adopted at this trade deadline, is rebuilding. 

Completely wrong, that's just when you chose to open your eyes to what JB has been doing for some time now.

5 hours ago, BaerBoBoeser said:

I think Juolevi will have as much an impactful if not more impactful career as JPulli

He is a STUD and is going to be better at this level than in the OHL - he plays a pro game, thinks a pro game and is playing with kids who don't. His skating(mobility and speed), positioning and stick work are superb and his ability to break up an offensive play coming at him and then turn the play up ice in transition quickly with great outlets is really unmatched by many (even at the NHL level). He never panics with the puck, can QB a PP (as we saw in the WJC), has a hard accurate shot (wrist and slap) that he gets to the net and see's the ice extremely well. He's the guy we've been missing (prior to Stech) to really 'settle' down the PP. 

He isn't coming in with the bells and whistles that Doughty and Ekblad had because he's not a big guy who you 'notice' from him playing a selfish game - but he makes everybody on the ice around him better.

Many said he plays like Lidstrom and clearly those are ridiculous shoes to fill.However, I don't think from watching his game probably 60 times in 2 years (I have an OHL package and London is my team) that its not within his ability to be THAT good. I know alot will scream about that and those are lofty words - but he plays the same game, he has the quiet simpleness to his game.

I really do laugh at those who say Tkachuk! Tkachuk - This guy given he's a dman has so much more value to a team simply based on trade value than a winger but moreso that players like him, that will 'drive the offense and defense from the back end' don't come around often.

Anyone who's played the game knows, offense starts in your own end, from puck recovery to the first pass out, the outlet / exit from your zone - he's a master at that who will do for our future snipers what Erhoff did for the twins (but in spades more). Guys like Tkatchuk don't 'drive' the game, they contribute- you can find that via UFA and tbh we don't really need it anymore given recent trades!

Sorry but your evaluation of Tkachuk is pure b.s. the guy does drive the game as well as playing a pretty good 200 ft game as a rook. He is going to be the Canucks personal Brad Marchand for 5 games a year in our own division..going to be a pos to play against for a long time. He could very well end up as the 3rd pick in that draft behind Mathews and Laine.

8 hours ago, hearditall said:

But he is a freak. Just like Brock Lesnar or Chara, or Crosby, or GSP, or Probert, or Bure or Marchand...

In sports term: Dominant, strong, lasting, force, one of a kind type of guy... 

I'd take that as a compliment just like it was,  but lets twist it 180 degrees...:wacko:

Nice spin to try to put on it, not buying it. 

6 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

We'll see...his advisers might convince him they need more 30+ year old mentors to mentor the 200 ft perimeter players.

3 hours ago, ice orca said:

Sorry but your evaluation of Tkachuk is pure b.s. the guy does drive the game as well as playing a pretty good 200 ft game as a rook. He is going to be the Canucks personal Brad Marchand for 5 games a year in our own division..going to be a pos to play against for a long time. He could very well end up as the 3rd pick in that draft behind Mathews and Laine.

And so could Juolevi... Patience with D-man

On 3/13/2017 at 9:48 PM, khay said:

If the team that he builds wins the Stanley cup, then sure. Otherwise, it's going to be tough to top Pat Quinn. For example, Stojanov for Markus Naslund beats Baertschi for 2nd + Granlund for Shinkaruk at least up to this point or Bure in the 6th round beats Tryamkin in the 3rd round or any other late round finds from JB up to this point.

But I have to admit that JB's drafting has been pretty good so far, which is the reason why JB has a chance to become the best GM. JB seems to be a better evaluator of junior talents than Quinn and therefore, drafts better than Pat Quinn (generally speaking). I think it would have been great if he drafted Ehlers to give us the top line of Baertschi-Horvat-Ehlers and that would have strengthened his case... Hey, I still think JV will turn things around and become a solid player for us moving forward.

Anyhow, I hope you are right and he becomes the best GM in the history of this franchise. 

Those 2 moves are pretty hard to top for ANY GM, currently in the NHL.

Quinn was also one of the top 3 coaches that we've ever had. He got teams to elevate their performance and play at a level that was higher than their overall, collective talent. Great motivator!

On 2017-03-13 at 9:48 PM, khay said:

If the team that he builds wins the Stanley cup, then sure. Otherwise, it's going to be tough to top Pat Quinn. For example, Stojanov for Markus Naslund beats Baertschi for 2nd + Granlund for Shinkaruk at least up to this point or Bure in the 6th round beats Tryamkin in the 3rd round or any other late round finds from JB up to this point.

But I have to admit that JB's drafting has been pretty good so far, which is the reason why JB has a chance to become the best GM. JB seems to be a better evaluator of junior talents than Quinn and therefore, drafts better than Pat Quinn (generally speaking). I think it would have been great if he drafted Ehlers to give us the top line of Baertschi-Horvat-Ehlers and that would have strengthened his case... Hey, I still think JV will turn things around and become a solid player for us moving forward.

Anyhow, I hope you are right and he becomes the best GM in the history of this franchise. 

" But I have to admit that JB's drafting has been pretty good so far," Well yes, I suppose.Selecting Virtanen over Ehjlers may not look great now, but I suppose, eventually, people will realize the genius. And yes Juolevi compared to Tkachuck looks lopsided right now, but give a good maybe 10 years before you make a final judgement. Demko's numbers in the AHL are very average but he needs at least 3-4 years there before we can see what we have. All in all, it's going to be a misrable next 5 years for the team, but things could really turn around after that.

12 hours ago, hearditall said:

Well if Europe worked for Matthews then obviously it will work for Juolevi, is that your point? I know someone who smoked all his life and lived to 93, therefore smoking is not bad for you, right? Same thinking.

Archived