The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning - Potential to be one of our Best GM's ever?

BaerBoBoeser

On 3/15/2017 at 0:33 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Mike Gillis was the one that traded Luongo, not Jim Benning.

Luo's contract is what I was talking about and so far if Luo retires or doesn't play it will hurt us badly unless we trade for him which is the only way that can be fixed so MG screwed us badly there!

On 3/15/2017 at 3:21 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Gillis left the team in terrible shape???????? If so why did it take this genius over 3 years to do something about it? He just spent the last three years overpaying over the hill veterans. If his brain was there for other than holding his ears apart he should/would have known the biggest job was getting Sedin replacements, heck almost every idiot on the forum knew that 4 to 5 years ago, as soon as they turned the corner on 32 yrs old the team should have stared. That's Gillis should have started, wait... he did, he got rid of the goal tending so the team could dive in the standings without stripping every position.

Three years and now just starting, the team is filled with AHLer's and 1 rst round draft picks that can't make the team. 3 years wasted. Thank goodness Gillis had ONE year to start retooling otherwise Horvat and Hutton wouldn't be here.

Some posters think it should take 8 years to figure out if the GM is any good? Really? In 8 1rst round picks he should get lucky at least twice.

wow no wonder someone gave you a minus and was not me but wow you need to take a serious look at our team and who we have in the system, plus look back at what MG did here and how he left the team!

6 hours ago, coastal1 said:

With regards to Tkahuck, let's just say that JB surprised just about everyone by skipping him. And yes it is very early. But it is not like thinking the Canucks could have drafted Tkachuck is just a matter of hindsight. As for 2014, yes 4 players have played at least one game. Great! How many of those 4 will be NHL players with the Canucks? Well two are already gone, one is a work in progress, so that leaves one and maybe, maybe 2, so let's not start yelling genius talent spotter yet 

McCann was traded for an NHL player in Gudbranson. By drafting a good player in McCann, a player Florida thought was worth trading Gudbranson for,  he filled a need. Tryamkin is already an NHL regular. So that's 2 NHL players.

Virtanen although will probably not be as dynamic as Ehlers, will one day be an NHL player. Demko is the only goalie prospect in the pipeline so he will be given every opportunity to make the Canucks. Forsling sure, we lost him.  I think 4 NHLers will play for the Canucks as a result of the 2014 draft.

I get the criticism towards JB. I also feel that he missed out big on Ehlers. Gosh, we would have our first line set right now if we picked Ehlers or Tkachuk. But let's try to be fair and give him credit for the times when he did well.

I'm expecting a fair amount of wheeling and dealing in the off season..Teams are going to be faced with losing assets for nothing,so you know that GMs are going to be desperate..I'm speculating that Benning unloads one of our D.(who that's going to be is up for debate) for a young forward.

12 hours ago, cripplereh said:

wow no wonder someone gave you a minus and was not me but wow you need to take a serious look at our team and who we have in the system, plus look back at what MG did here and how he left the team!

I know it is hard if one is not familiar with what some other teams have done in the past but if Gillis had stayed Lack and Eriksson may very well been the goalies. The team most likely would have not done very good again and they would have been in the McDavid lottery and maybe the next one as well. It was the only way to get the replacements for the Sedins, something this management group is going to try to do now, sort of like closing the barn door after all the cows are out.

This group has allowed 5 to 6 of the next generations best players to slip through their fingers because they didn't want to hurt some millionaires feelings. Hey, I believe the Sedins should be honored, they have been/are great Canucks, but a job of management should be to do what is best for the FRANCHISE, not do favours for multi millionaires at the cost of the franchise. That screams that management believes the fans will come regardless of what they do if they give out any reason.

This management group has burned the good trust of some/most of the fans by doing this disservice to the franchise.

but

The other way to look at it is now making the playoffs can seen as some kind of achievement. They made that a lot harder to do now for the next 5 years unless they get b@lls and force a couple of BIG trades. What player is going to want to come here with this mismanaged club, unless they are old vets wanting a huge check and a nice city to spend some time in.

I think passing on tkachuk, signing Eriksson, trading McCann for a poor mans bieksa, hiring Willie, and taking 3 years to realize we need a tear down should put him in the running for worst GM.

Rest of his moves are maybe will work out, maybe won't.

12 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Ben Hutton, Bo Horvat,  Gaunce, Grenier and hopefully one day Subban. We should count these guys in for prospect left behind by MG. In fact MG drafted the current team leading scorer.

Kesler too was a premium trade chip we could have used to net more prospects. We just decided to go the route of turning him into nhl depth players (Kesler + two 2nd's + 4th = sbisa, Sutter,  gudbranson, 3rd).

JB didnt start with  a total barren wasteland as some make it out to be

46 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Ben Hutton, Bo Horvat,  Gaunce, Grenier and hopefully one day Subban. We should count these guys in for prospect left behind by MG. In fact MG drafted the current team leading scorer.

Kesler too was a premium trade chip we could have used to net more prospects. We just decided to go the route of turning him into nhl depth players (Kesler + two 2nd's + 4th = sbisa, Sutter,  gudbranson, 3rd).

That's a mighty sad prospect list for 7 years as GM. Yes, I'd call it a wasteland. One solid prospect who was the result of moving the wrong goalie on draft day.

Kesler used his NTC to give Benning one, and only one, team to deal with. Doesn't exactly give you any trade leverage to maximize the return.

14 hours ago, khay said:

McCann was traded for an NHL player in Gudbranson. By drafting a good player in McCann, a player Florida thought was worth trading Gudbranson for,  he filled a need. Tryamkin is already an NHL regular. So that's 2 NHL players.

Virtanen although will probably not be as dynamic as Ehlers, will one day be an NHL player. Demko is the only goalie prospect in the pipeline so he will be given every opportunity to make the Canucks. Forsling sure, we lost him.  I think 4 NHLers will play for the Canucks as a result of the 2014 draft.

I get the criticism towards JB. I also feel that he missed out big on Ehlers. Gosh, we would have our first line set right now if we picked Ehlers or Tkachuk. But let's try to be fair and give him credit for the times when he did well.

There has been some good choices and some that do no look great right now. Let's just say that Tkachuck has as many points this year as Horvat  and he is 4 years younger. Let's agree that Ehlers is already a 20+ goal scorer in the league and Virtanen is , well, let's say far from that. Yes, depth players in the late rounds are very useful but if you keep screwing up your high picks, you go nowhere.

6 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I know it is hard if one is not familiar with what some other teams have done in the past but if Gillis had stayed Lack and Eriksson may very well been the goalies. The team most likely would have not done very good again and they would have been in the McDavid lottery and maybe the next one as well. It was the only way to get the replacements for the Sedins, something this management group is going to try to do now, sort of like closing the barn door after all the cows are out.

This group has allowed 5 to 6 of the next generations best players to slip through their fingers because they didn't want to hurt some millionaires feelings. Hey, I believe the Sedins should be honored, they have been/are great Canucks, but a job of management should be to do what is best for the FRANCHISE, not do favours for multi millionaires at the cost of the franchise. That screams that management believes the fans will come regardless of what they do if they give out any reason.

This management group has burned the good trust of some/most of the fans by doing this disservice to the franchise.

but

The other way to look at it is now making the playoffs can seen as some kind of achievement. They made that a lot harder to do now for the next 5 years unless they get b@lls and force a couple of BIG trades. What player is going to want to come here with this mismanaged club, unless they are old vets wanting a huge check and a nice city to spend some time in.

so basically you do not follow the team is what I am reading????

Owners want and know they need a team that tries as if we tanked like the leafs we would not have fans in the seats meaning move to seattle or whatever mighyt happen!

our owners have say and so far benning/Linden have done what they wanted with a plan and what you have wrote shows you do not know which lots on here have posted!!

Your feelings are getting in the way and you post useless stuff because of it!

We are going in the right direction and have from the start,plus this group owners/management have to much pride and so do our players to do a leafs rebuild which to me means more !

5 hours ago, DSVII said:

I agree somewhat there as MG did given most players TNC's and kept them way to long.

Basically he was given a team that was going to win, stuck with them, but after the finals he should have traded half instead of waiting till they had to be traded, so yes he did his job just for me it was questionable and he could have done way WAY better!

plus gaunce and Greiner plus  Subban are pretty much AHLers at best  Gaunce might be better but think he will be the one Vegas takes as Sbisa shiuld stay as there are many D men out there for vegas to take

so two players that are NHLers, well benning so far has got more then two from drafting in less time!

18 hours ago, cripplereh said:

so basically you do not follow the team is what I am reading????

Owners want and know they need a team that tries as if we tanked like the leafs we would not have fans in the seats meaning move to seattle or whatever mighyt happen!

our owners have say and so far benning/Linden have done what they wanted with a plan and what you have wrote shows you do not know which lots on here have posted!!

Your feelings are getting in the way and you post useless stuff because of it!

We are going in the right direction and have from the start,plus this group owners/management have to much pride and so do our players to do a leafs rebuild which to me means more !

Tanked like the Leafs? and you ask if I follow the team, this management group hasn't tanked and the team is still near the bottom, are the fans still are there, this is bottom team without planning, I am sure most fans would like the idea that this being at the bottom was planned and not because the team is this bad..

Owners have a say? I don't get that paragraph, are you saying Benning and Linden are following instructions from the owners?

We lose almost every game and you are proud? good for you Flames fan.

If you look at how Boston evolved into the 2011 Champions,.  You will see Benning fingerprints all over that team previous to 2011.

Benning was probably the true architect behind Boston, and then some after that.

Happy to have Jim Benning here as General Manager.  He has the potential to be our best GM.

Good to see him forcing WD's hand to give the youth more minutes,. Pulling Granlund from the line up plays well for Granlund, and possibly allowing another prospect that time.. I understand that Skille might fill that void, but I'm sure this ensures the space for Boeser if he gets here.

ATM Benning has a great eye for talent in the draft and find young pieces to help us rebuild.  But to help this team become a competitor well be a new test and that will be several years away from that point before we can fully be in a position to compete.

That is where we need to see the true savvy GM Benning, can he find cheap but productive players?  Can he find deals that help this team get over the hump without totally obliterating the prospect/draft pick pool?  Does he have the guts to make moves in the first place?  Does he have the ability to not sign on UFA's with hefty and risky contracts?

Lots to see from now, but Benning is starting to build a nice foundation for this team.  Still lots of to do before we can be in a real position to be a competing team for the Cup.  

Very few GM's are around for a rebuild of a team and see the years where they can compete.

32 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If you look at how Boston evolved into the 2011 Champions,.  You will see Benning fingerprints all over that team previous to 2011.

Benning was probably the true architect behind Boston, and then some after that.

Happy to have Jim Benning here as General Manager.  He has the potential to be our best GM.

Good to see him forcing WD's hand to give the youth more minutes,. Pulling Granlund from the line up plays well for Granlund, and possibly allowing another prospect that time.. I understand that Skille might fill that void, but I'm sure this ensures the space for Boeser if he gets here.

What exactly did he do for Boston to make them champions?

14 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I believe that Benning's background as a scout had gave him solid input into decisions made when, In 2006 he became the assistant GM of the Bruins.  Under his tenure the Bruins have drafted Milan LucicBrad Marchand, Joe Colbourne, Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton.

Notable trades in his tenure as Bruins' assistant GM:

-traded Andrew Raycroft to the Leafs in exchange for the rights to Tuukka Rask.

-traded up in the 2006 Entry Draft to get Brad Marchand

-Acquired Andrew Ference and Chuck Kobasew from the Flames in exchange for Wayne Primeau and Brad Stuart and a draft pick (2007)

-Acquired Adam McQuaid for 2007 pick (Jamie Benn).  

-Acquired Johnny Boychuk from Colorado in exchange for Matt Hendricks (2008)

-Acquired Mark Recchi from Tampa for a couple of bums (2009)

-Traded Phil Kessel to the Leafs in exchange for 3 top draft picks. 2 that are of current significance: Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton

-In March of 2010 the Bruins traded Byron BitzCraig Weller and a 2nd round pick to Florida for Dennis Seidenberg and rights to Matt Bartkowski

-In June of 2010 the Bruins trade Denis Wideman plus a 1st and 3rd round pick to the Panthers for Gregory Campbell and Nathan Horton. Nice. Panthers $&!# the bed on those picks, by the way.

-February 2011 Bruins acquire Chris Kelly from the Senators for a 2nd round pick.

-That same month they traded Mark Suart and Blake Wheeler to the Thrashers for Rich Peverley and Boris Valabik.

-Also in February of 2011 the Bruins traded Joe Colbourne and 2 high picks to the Leafs for Tomas Kaberle.

-Bruins win the Stanley Cup

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I believe that Benning's background as a scout had gave him solid input into decisions made when, In 2006 he became the assistant GM of the Bruins.  Under his tenure the Bruins have drafted Milan LucicBrad Marchand, Joe Colbourne, Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton.

Notable trades in his tenure as Bruins' assistant GM:

-traded Andrew Raycroft to the Leafs in exchange for the rights to Tuukka Rask.

-traded up in the 2006 Entry Draft to get Brad Marchand

-Acquired Andrew Ference and Chuck Kobasew from the Flames in exchange for Wayne Primeau and Brad Stuart and a draft pick (2007)

-Acquired Adam McQuaid for 2007 pick (Jamie Benn).  

-Acquired Johnny Boychuk from Colorado in exchange for Matt Hendricks (2008)

-Acquired Mark Recchi from Tampa for a couple of bums (2009)

-Traded Phil Kessel to the Leafs in exchange for 3 top draft picks. 2 that are of current significance: Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton

-In March of 2010 the Bruins traded Byron BitzCraig Weller and a 2nd round pick to Florida for Dennis Seidenberg and rights to Matt Bartkowski

-In June of 2010 the Bruins trade Denis Wideman plus a 1st and 3rd round pick to the Panthers for Gregory Campbell and Nathan Horton. Nice. Panthers $&!# the bed on those picks, by the way.

-February 2011 Bruins acquire Chris Kelly from the Senators for a 2nd round pick.

-That same month they traded Mark Suart and Blake Wheeler to the Thrashers for Rich Peverley and Boris Valabik.

-Also in February of 2011 the Bruins traded Joe Colbourne and 2 high picks to the Leafs for Tomas Kaberle.

-Bruins win the Stanley Cup

So he was hired after the 2006 draft... the first year he was in charge of player development/drafting etc. He was Asst Gm in 2007. With your list i wonder what the GM Chiarelli did? I mean it's like saying Weisbrod has made all the moves in Vancouver so far.

Don't get me wrong i really like Benning being the GM but his resume will be decided by what happens in Vancouver not by his association with Peter Chiarelli.

On 3/19/2017 at 0:05 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Tanked like the Leafs? and you ask if I follow the team, this management group hasn't tanked and the team is still near the bottom, are the fans still are there, this is bottom team without planning, I am sure most fans would like the idea that this being at the bottom was planned and not because the team is this bad..

Owners have a say? I don't get that paragraph, are you saying Benning and Linden are following instructions from the owners?

We lose almost every game and you are proud? good for you Flames fan.

do you just not understand anything that goes on, or are you new????

I just want to know as how to react to your next post , like do I make it simple or fully drag out the obvious which 90 plus percent see going on!

13 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

So he was hired after the 2006 draft... the first year he was in charge of player development/drafting etc. He was Asst Gm in 2007. With your list i wonder what the GM Chiarelli did? I mean it's like saying Weisbrod has made all the moves in Vancouver so far.

Don't get me wrong i really like Benning being the GM but his resume will be decided by what happens in Vancouver not by his association with Peter Chiarelli.

As an assistant GM, with a strong background in scouting,.  As I stated, he probably gave great input.   And I believe his experiences to this point will prove to make him a great GM for us.

55 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

That answered your question didn't it?...  I don't give a damn about Chiarelli...  but if you want to know more call his mother.

Archived