The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking for thoughts on Vilardi as the 2nd or 3rd pick in the NHL Entry Draft

sockeye

What's up with Necas at # 3 on Buttons list?   Sure, he plays in a mens league, but the guy is like 160 lbs.  

With our need for size, I just can't see us taking him in the top 5.   I think of Button's top 8, I'd be most disappointed if we selected Necas.

12 minutes ago, Agoork said:

What's up with Necas at # 3 on Buttons list?   Sure, he plays in a mens league, but the guy is like 160 lbs.  

With our need for size, I just can't see us taking him in the top 5.   I think of Button's top 8, I'd be most disappointed if we selected Necas.

Most of Button's list is based on the NHL we're going to see in 3-4 years from now on. Dominated by positional play, high hockey IQ, and making plays on the fly. Necas excels at all of those things on top of being a monster in the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Most of Button's list is based on the NHL we're going to see in 3-4 years from now on. Dominated by positional play, high hockey IQ, and making plays on the fly. Necas excels at all of those things on top of being a monster in the playoffs. 

Ok, thanks.  Do you think he'd be one we'd select that high though?  What would be the earliest pick you'd take him over the others?

2 hours ago, Sweathog said:

I'd be over the moon if we land any of Patrick, Hischier, or Vilardi. 

Vilardi is not only big, he's also very mature for his age and according to some scouts is always looking for (and working on) ways to improve his game. There are concerns about his skating but apparently he's well aware of it and is working on it. Vilardi would be a great pick for the Canucks. 

Good points, I'd be extremely happy too if we landed Patrick, Hirschier or Vilardi, but the one reason I put Mittelstadt 3rd and Vilardi 4th in my top 5 is mainly because he has amazing poise, hockey IQ and offensive instincts, who can create open space for his linemates. Then again I'd be more than satisfied with either one of Patrick Hirschier Mittelstadt and Vilardi. 

46 minutes ago, Agoork said:

Button bases his list on how he personally sees their full future potential as, and not on how he sees them going in the draft.

He often puts guys much higher or lower in his rankings than he believes they will go in the draft. For example, he had Virtanen rated as the 43rd best player in the 2014 draft, but he felt he would be selected higher than that as he saw him as being more pro ready than other prospects that year.

5 hours ago, Jam126 said:

He's basically Virtanen.

Jake had 45 goals in his draft year, Rasmussen has 32. Don't think they are even remotely similar. Logan Brown is a good comparison.  Good risk/reward pick in the ten spot or if round. He has not shown enough upside to be ranked higher. 

54 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Jake had 45 goals in his draft year, Rasmussen has 18. Don't think they are even remotely similar. Logan Brown is a good comparison.  Good risk/reward pick in the ten spot or if round. He has not shown enough upside to be ranked higher. 

Rasmussen had 18 last year. This year (his draft) he has 32 in 50 games.

6 hours ago, cuporbust said:

"He’s also got great feet, and he’s a deceptively speedy guy"

He's been said (from other reports) to not have "great" straight line speed but his ability in tight, edge work is elite  and yes quick feet, arguably that is more important than straight line speed as being able to come out of a cycle, work the boards down low, react defensively is really start/stop and edge work not straight line speed

Not to mention, clearly straight line can be improved (see bo) if you work at it - to at least be adequate and I don't think it's been said he's Bonino slow

Vilardi is great player but man is this weak draft year if player of his calibre is in discussion for top 2 pick. If we miss Patrick/Hischier id still rather go for playmaking skill and speed in Mittelstadt. We already have Horvat. But anyway I wont get mad if we pick this guy at #3-5

1 minute ago, DallasDrake said:

Vilardi is great player but man is this weak draft year if player of his calibre is in discussion for top 2 pick. If we miss Patrick/Hischier id still rather go for playmaking skill and speed in Mittelstadt. We already have Horvat. But anyway I wont get mad if we pick this guy at #3-5

Interestingly Tippett seems to be ranked up there in a number of rankings as well - i think after #2 this draft is going to be very wonky relative to central scouting draft rankings

I'm definitely against Mittelstadt being drafted #3. His defensive game is terrible and I'm concerned how much of his scoring comes from the powerplay. You take away empty net goals and he is hovering around 65-70% of his points coming from the man advantage. He doesn't sound like he is contributing enough even strength points for him to be considered 3rd overall. Also, he's getting points playing relatively few games in the USHL with only 25 games played. He will also be playing in the NCAA after draft so we definitely won't be seeing him for at least a couple years.

1 hour ago, Boeser6 said:

Interestingly Tippett seems to be ranked up there in a number of rankings as well - i think after #2 this draft is going to be very wonky relative to central scouting draft rankings

Yeah after first two Tippett, Vilardi, Mittelstadt are quite same. Lots of potential but no sure things. If JB doesnt see gamechangers in that group, in such weak draft it wouldnt be bad option to trade down and pick Hague or Foote to pair with Juolevi. They are big nasty mobile d-men who could fit well with Juolevi. Id avoid Liljegren at all costs. 

1 minute ago, DallasDrake said:

Yeah after first two Tippett, Vilardi, Mittelstadt are quite same. Lots of potential but no sure things. If JB doesnt see gamechangers in that group, in such weak draft it wouldnt be bad option to trade down and pick Hague or Foote to pair with Juolevi. They are big nasty mobile d-men who could fit well with Juolevi. Id avoid Liljegren at all costs. 

We got a big and semi nasty learning to be nasty in Try- Personally I think our need up front necessitates taking a center - having a 2a/2b is not a bad situation and who know's where Bo's or whomever we draft ceiling is. Bo is outperforming Hank at the same age - let that sink in for a moment

Hank first four years

29, 36, 39,42  pts

Bo first three years

25, 40, 52

Anyone who says he's not a 1c is not really looking at his trajectory - So in my view even if whomever we draft is at best a 2c we're better off given the lack of depth we have there. And I don't think the top 2 and maybe Mittlestadt are 2c ceilings

42 minutes ago, Boeser6 said:

We got a big and semi nasty learning to be nasty in Try- Personally I think our need up front necessitates taking a center - having a 2a/2b is not a bad situation and who know's where Bo's or whomever we draft ceiling is. Bo is outperforming Hank at the same age - let that sink in for a moment

Hank first four years

29, 36, 39,42  pts

Bo first three years

25, 40, 52

Anyone who says he's not a 1c is not really looking at his trajectory - So in my view even if whomever we draft is at best a 2c we're better off given the lack of depth we have there. And I don't think the top 2 and maybe Mittlestadt are 2c ceilings

Agree about Horvat there is no limit for him because of his exceptional work ethic and dedication. 

Center position is the main organizational need but its up to benning decide if the bpa is C in his mind wherever we pick.

Archived