The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking for thoughts on Vilardi as the 2nd or 3rd pick in the NHL Entry Draft

sockeye

2 hours ago, CeeBee51 said:

If you want Glass you don't drop past 3rd or you run the risk of him going 3rd, 4th, 5th etc. This draft is too jumbled up to take a  chance like waiting till 7th. IMO

Adding another player named Glass to this franchise is like re-electing the NDP.  Lest we forget.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:50 PM, sockeye said:

Everybody is talking about Nico Hischier and Nolan Patrick being the top 2 picks of this years NHL entry draft.  I would like to know more about Gabriel Vilardi who is often slated as the number 3 pick.  After all, there's no guarantee (with the lottery) that we can land either of those top 2 picks.  

I'm intrigued by Vilardi because of what I've seen in a few video clips and because he has done very well on an OHL team (Windor Spitfires) that went through lots of injuries; and the team was not considered one of the best OHL teams this year.  Rocky Thompson (Head Coach of the Spitfires) was interviewed on TSN 1040 a few weeks ago and he had lots of good things to say about Vilardi (good character, makes players around him better, a leader through the injury spell, etc.). 

Another thing to consider is that Vilardi is 11 months younger than Patrick.  Lots of development can happen in 11 months at their age.  

Let's assume that we fall to third in the draft.  I'd like other people's insight on Vilardi or other top 5 picks.

It offends me in a nice way, that the next forum contributor who comments after you gets 3X the number of YES comments.  You are the guy on this one. Great question you ask.

13 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The Edmonton Oilers say hi. Size, skill and speed and add physicality. Canucks are woefully short of all of the above in their forward group. The question you might ask is how many smaller skilled guys can a roster have? From what I can see the only player with size and hopefully skill who might come up is Virtanen. Boeser at 195 pounds is a move in the right direction. Losing Zach Kassian was a serious set back to the org. I am not pointing fingers just stating a reality that the Canucks are no where near big enough to be serious Western Conference contenders.

The organization needs a 1C who is + 200 pounds. At #2 pick Benning should be able to draft that player. IMHO you do not take that high a pick and spend it on a talented small winger or even center unless he is a generational talent. It comes down to BPA or the priority org need. To me the org need should carry the day in this draft. 

Oilers added size after they added skill..simple

21 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Agreed.  I'd rather trade the pick than waste it on Vilardi.  Not enough offensive skill to have any hope of becoming  a 1C.  He's this year's Dubois as the most overrated guy in the draft.

Agreed. Also from what I've read Vilardi projects more as a right winger than a centre. Apparently he's played large minutes at right wing this year, similar to Dubois who has played large minutes at left wing. I don't think either of them are true centres, never mind #1 centres. 

Vilardi over Patrick, Hischier at No.1. Patrick is lazy and we need an engine. Someone who can give us that spark when things are not going our way like Tkachuk or Vilardi or Hischier. We missed out on Tkachuk for an awesome d man. I hope we use this year's pick wisely. Here is a quote on Patrick:

“We faced Patrick quite a few times this year,” said one eastern conference WHL head coach. “Nothing against the kid whatsoever, but what I saw this year and what our coaching staff saw last year are two different players. No question he’s a player, smart and everything else, but I’m not seeing what everybody talked about last year.

“I saw him play against Moose Jaw one night and he was downright lazy. When he has the puck he’s fine..but when he doesn’t…I’ve expected more.  What I heard from last year was that this guy was going to be a handful this year…and he hasn’t been a handful with that hockey club.”

https://recrutes.ca/meet-your-makar-king-patrick/

Also reading he is all about himself and not so much a team like the media says... locker room cancer maybe?

From what I have watched of Valardi he has flashes of Getzlaf with his ability to protect the puck and be patient to make a play. However Getzlaf is lazy and Valardi seems to be more hard working.  Getzlaf is obviously incredibly skilled and Valardi would have a long way to go but he uses his big frame well like Getz.

I don't see the point in picking one prospect and digging the heels in to root for them. I guess if you really feel strongly against one guy, but personally those 4 Cs at the top of the draft all look exciting in their own way.

I will say though, much the way Juolevi and Virtanen just felt like incumbents, my gut has been making odd noises towards Vilardi. I should probably get a doctor to look into it

Fly V.

Sounds like an awesome pick, really hope we play him at center

As long as we draft the best center available I'm all good, really like what I hear about the players we can get, we may not be getting Mc David, but in the long run if Horvat is our Linden, we can certainly get our Ronning in this draft maybe as far as playing the dreaded "2 way game" we might get someone BETTER than Ronning

I don't think it takes a superstar to win a cup (It sure as hell helps) I think if a team has a couple of "star" centers, one really good defenceman with a few decent ones to back him up then you have the core you need, wingers and goalies can be interchangeable the game is won and lost at center and defence.

But my guy tells me this is our year, we are doomed we all know that, but we still seem to get some good likeable players that take us right to the brink before it all falls apart, player that you WANT to cheer for

I say this year we come back from the draft with Patrick, I can feel it

The fact that there is around 6 centers who could go in the top 10 in this draft is intriguing. I would like to see the Canucks use a D man and maybe a second pick to try and acquire another top pick. It would be nice to land two centers who have first line potential.

To be honest. Watching Vilardi play I've grown fond of him especially considering the fact that hes barely old enough to qualify for this draft. His numbers aren't that appealing but considering hes almost a year younger than almost everyone else in the draft is a plus. With that being said I would honestly prefer to take Casey Mittelstadt at #3 as he has done nothing but excel at everyone level hes played. I see him as the darkhorse of the upcoming draft. The way he moves the way he sees the ice and makes plays is unparalleled in the draft. I honestly thing Mittlestadt will have a  better career than Hischier, Patrick & Vilardi.

On 4/15/2017 at 6:22 PM, gameburn2 said:

It offends me in a nice way, that the next forum contributor who comments after you gets 3X the number of YES comments.  You are the guy on this one. Great question you ask.

Thanks.  Much appreciated.  I don't worry about my plus rating or the number of my posts - I try to do my research and speak my mind.  I don't enjoy the back and forth needling (to me it's boring - but to each their own).  Sometimes we're right and sometimes we're wrong and sometimes we have to agree to disagree.

Besides Gabe Vilardi and Casey Mittelstadt (both intriguing players), I would also like to hear people's thoughts on Owen Tippett.   He is another player who is often ranked in the top 5 or 6.  Tippett (Mississauga Steelheads) also had a big year.

Archived