The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Your Jack Adams finalists - feat. Torts

W  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, khay said:

McLellan. First playoff apperance in 11 years. Not just that, reached the second round against a very tough team.

It isn't that hard when you have McDavid for 82 games.

Torts got a roster without a star player and took them to the top of the league

3 hours ago, Monty said:

Torts by a landslide.

Nothing against Babcock or McLellan, but the argument against them is that Edmonton had an entire season of McDavid (led NHL in points) and a better defense in place, while Toronto (who really is exciting) had 3 new players who weren't on the team last year (Matthews, Marner, Nylander) who all had over 60 points this season.

Torts had a 19 year old defenseman who was playing far beyond expectations.

Toronto had Andersen too, which gave them some stability to make up for their (still) sub-par defense.

I give it to Torts as well.

Gotta have to give it to McLellan. I understand people are all "But he has McDavid and Draisaitl!"

Yes, he does, but the Oilers also went from dead last in the Western Conference to 4th over the course of a single season, and just took out the freaking Sharks in a series. To me, that's the most impressive improvement and I think a lot of that credit should go to the coach.

4 hours ago, c00kies said:

Toronto had Andersen too, which gave them some stability to make up for their (still) sub-par defense.

Speaking of Andersen ... whatever happened to Bernier? Wasn't he supposed to be "the one" and now he's a backup

Youre nuts if you pick torts over Babs...

How long do you think Torts will last in Columbus compared to how long Babcock will last in Toronto. Torts will be gone within the next few years!!

Why do you think Columbus had a great season? Great goaltending, high shooting percentage, and they destroyed bad teams but lost to good teams.

Columbus was not as good as you all think, Babcock was a way better coach and more deserving of the award

Tortorella imo wouldn't be there if his group - under him - didn't underachieve so significantly last year.

This year they upticked to where that group should be imo - and virtually any NHL should have been able to get a lineup like that there.

Imo he's the benefactor of his own poor performance last year.

I'm surprised how many people here don't seem to realize how much Tortorella had to work with - how good that roster actually is.

Jones, Savard, Werenski, Murray, Johnson - that is as good as any 5 D in the NHL imo.  Nutivaara, Carlsson....

Easily the best - by a longshot - of any of these three teams' bluelines.

Babcock's by comparison is a joke.   Beyond Reilly - Gardiner, Polak, Hunwick, Zaitsev, Carrick, Marincin - that is a comparably terrible blueline.

Wennberg, Jenner, Saad, Dubinsky, Foligno, Atkinson  /  Bjorkstrand, Karlsson....

Bob, Korpisalo...

Sorry - I'm not convinced Torts is a deserving candidate.

How he turned team USA into such a tire fire was truly impressive.

And as he tends to - he rides certain players in one way - and others in another - always seems to have someone on his whipping list / in the doghouse.  But the way he rides his players - as in overplays his key guys - also tends to lead to stronger first halfs of seasons, and then they fade down the stretch....

I can see Babcock getting a pass for a 5 game first round exit - but Tortorella, not so much.

For me there's only one real candidate here.   Without Babcock, Matthews or not, the Leafs would still be a joke.

Archived