The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation]Drouin to be moved? (McKenzie)

86Viking

22 hours ago, oldnews said:

So many ill-advised overpayment proposals for Drouin in here.

So many reasons why this brat is not the answer.

That brat has done nothing but put up points while being an electric player. this guy will post 40 goals soon enough and worth every penny. brat has earned HIS cut

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Yes some overpayment on here,.  But I think Drouin could round off the forward core nicely. 

Would he?  I don't necessarily agree that what this team needs is to add a soft, one-dimensional, me-first winger.

I'm not going to bang the 'we're too small, easy to push around' drum here.....but, imo overpaying for Drouin would be a big mistake.

No way I'd pay the prices people are suggesting here for him.

Keep Tanev, keep our 5th overall etc - draft a center or a defenseman, forget Drouin.

33 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

That brat has done nothing but put up points while being an electric player. this guy will post 40 goals soon enough and worth every penny. brat has earned HIS cut

Is that right?  Nothing but put up points eh.  More accurate would be to say that is literally all he is, and needs to be spoon fed opportunities.

He's played soft, sheltered minutes - scored 26 of his 53 points this year on the powerplay feeding off Kucherov, Hedman, Palat - while getting beaten up 5 on 5 - minus 20 turnover differential, -13 5-on-5 despite the highest ozone starts on the Lightning - and what happens to his powerplay production when Stamkos is healthy and he goes to their 2nd unit?

If the kid is all that, why would Yzerman shop him?

To put this in context, Bo Horvat scored a point less than Drouin this year, while getting 10 pts on the Canucks 2nd powerplay unit - and scoring 42 even strength points to Drouin's 27 - without the sheltering/soft minutes that Drouin plays - Horvat doing that with 45% offensive zone starts, on a weak/depleted roster in front of the youngest blueline in the NHL for long stretches of the season.

If Drouin is 'electric' then Horvat is a fn thunderstorm.  Forget Drouin.  Keep the Tanevs and 5th overall picks and draft someone that isn't an over-rated prima donna.

28 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Is that right?  Nothing but put up points eh.  More accurate would be to say that is literally all he is, and needs to be spoon fed opportunities.

He's played soft, sheltered minutes - scored 26 of his 53 points this year on the powerplay feeding off Kucherov, Hedman, Palat - while getting beaten up 5 on 5 - minus 20 turnover differential, -13 5-on-5 despite the highest ozone starts on the Lightning - and what happens to his powerplay production when Stamkos is healthy and he goes to their 2nd unit?

If the kid is all that, why would Yzerman shop him?

To put this in context, Bo Horvat scored a point less than Drouin this year, while getting 10 pts on the Canucks 2nd powerplay unit - and scoring 42 even strength points to Drouin's 27 - without the sheltering/soft minutes that Drouin plays - Horvat doing that with 45% offensive zone starts, on a weak/depleted roster in front of the youngest blueline in the NHL for long stretches of the season.

If Drouin is 'electric' then Horvat is a fn thunderstorm.  Forget Drouin.  Keep the Tanevs and 5th overall picks and draft someone that isn't an over-rated prima donna.

jeepers.....so much pressure on a kid that's just played his first full season. Christ, write off Horvat for getting his masters green jacket 2 years ago in HIS 1st full season. Good thing HE got better eh?  so what happens when you put Drouin and Horvat on a line together? give him 1st unit pp? I'm betting our PP % improves and becomes exciting again. heck, the Sedins got sheltered in their first few seasons too. how many years are we sheltering, demoting, benching Baertschi? 53 points is still 53 points and he is/will get better.

When did yzerman even come out and say he IS available? lets not get ahead of ourselves from what a few bloggers and speculative writters suggest. those same people say Johnson could also be the guy traded as well, with Point coming up.

I don't give a crap if a guy becomes a prima donna, heck, Bure was that too. Was the leagues best seagull and coughed up the puck too but he sure looked good putting up points.

I never suggested we use our #5....that's a deal killer. I suggested using a dead asset and a D that's apparently being traded. If those 2 get you a better return than Drouin, then I will wash your car. If those 2 pieces got Drouin and we draft Glass, then I'm thinking our top 6 is suddenly looking pretty good for the next few years and our succession plan for Sedins has been accomplished. These guys are gonna be that much better after another year or 2.

Hey, the whole scenario is a wet dream but hey.......

14 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

jeepers.....so much pressure on a kid that's just played his first full season. Christ, write off Horvat for getting his masters green jacket 2 years ago in HIS 1st full season. Good thing HE got better eh?  so what happens when you put Drouin and Horvat on a line together? give him 1st unit pp? I'm betting our PP % improves and becomes exciting again. heck, the Sedins got sheltered in their first few seasons too. how many years are we sheltering, demoting, benching Baertschi? 53 points is still 53 points and he is/will get better.

When did yzerman even come out and say he IS available? lets not get ahead of ourselves from what a few bloggers and speculative writters suggest. those same people say Johnson could also be the guy traded as well, with Point coming up.

I don't give a crap if a guy becomes a prima donna, heck, Bure was that too. Was the leagues best seagull and coughed up the puck too but he sure looked good putting up points.

I never suggested we use our #5....that's a deal killer. I suggested using a dead asset and a D that's apparently being traded. If those 2 get you a better return than Drouin, then I will wash your car. If those 2 pieces got Drouin and we draft Glass, then I'm thinking our top 6 is suddenly looking pretty good for the next few years and our succession plan for Sedins has been accomplished. These guys are gonna be that much better after another year or 2.

Hey, the whole scenario is a wet dream but hey.......

no comparison to be made.  I never considered judging Horvat for something as absurd as plus/minus in the context of the type of minutes he played - people that couldn't see beyond that were short-sighted.  Drouin, however is another story entirely - opposite story.

A few bloggers / speculators have nothing to do with this story - it was generated by Bob McKenzie.

I didn't respond to what you proposed - don't know what you proposed - you took exception to my post suggesting that the majority of proposals in this thread are nuts - and that we're not in a position to spend multiple premier assets to acquire this of all guys.   Not sure  what you refer to / mean by using a 'dead asset' and a D that's apparently being traded (according to whom - a few bloggers and speculative CDCers?).  If Drouin is 'all that' are you going to acquire him with a 'dead asset' (whomever that is).

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

no comparison to be made.  I never considered judging Horvat for something as absurd as plus/minus in the context of the type of minutes he played - people that couldn't see beyond that were short-sighted.  Drouin, however is another story entirely - opposite story.

A few bloggers / speculators have nothing to do with this story - it was generated by Bob McKenzie.

I didn't respond to what you proposed - don't know what you proposed - you took exception to my post suggesting that the majority of proposals in this thread are nuts - and that we're not in a position to spend multiple premier assets to acquire this of all guys.   Not sure  what you refer to / mean by using a 'dead asset' and a D that's apparently being traded (according to whom - a few bloggers and speculative CDCers?).  If Drouin is 'all that' are you going to acquire him with a 'dead asset' (whomever that is).

Dead asset being Tryamkin. IMO, I don't see him coming back for a few reasons. he is an unused asset that needs to be utilized.

14 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Dead asset being Tryamkin. IMO, I don't see him coming back for a few reasons. he is an unused asset that needs to be utilized.

Ahhhhh No...     a dead asset is Tanev,. He has primed, his ceiling has been reached, and will be injured again for at least 25-40% of the season next year because he does nothing to avoid the check on him. He is, and always has been a target, who does not give an ounce of physicality back.

Tryamkin may yet return to be a God.   :) 

25 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

On 2017-04-28 at 9:10 PM, missioncanucksfan said:

well Tampa needs a D and it just so happens that Tryamkin is suddenly available. Yzerman would have no problem accommodating BFG as there are a few Russians on the team and yzerman just knows how to deal with Russians by having dealt with the best that's ever played the game.

Tryamkin and our 2 2nd picks and we can even take on Callahans contract as well.

If we walk away from the draft with one of Patrick, Hischier, or Glass plus Drouin, while utilizing a dormant asset, then that's a good days work

Baertschi-Horvat-Drouin

D. Sedin-H. Sedin-Boeser

Virtanen-Sutter-Goldobin

suddenly we have 3 very skilled lines

I would have no issue locking up Drouin for 8yrs at 7m per as he is destined to become a 40+ goal scorer by next year or the year after. Also gives time for Boeser to develop with the twins for a year until Patrick, Hischier, or Glass can step in

if I'm Benning, I'm pushing hard to get that guy

Two things here - I'm not sure you're going to get that kind of value for Tryamkin's rights - just too much uncertainty about his future for a team to give up that kind of roster value imo to wait for his KHL contract to play out and then maybe he comes back.  I think he will, but it doesn't enhance his value - and Tampa already has Gusev in a similar situation - he's 25 in a few months and no certainty as of yet whether he comes over here.

I also would not offer Drouin anything near that.  He has one 20 goal season - he's 22 years old - he needs to take a bridge and earn a contract by proving himself over a couple more productive years as an RFA before I'd consider giving him anything approaching long term or anywhere near that kind of money. 

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Ahhhhh No...     a dead asset is Tanev,. He has primed, his ceiling has been reached, and will be injured again for at least 25-40% of the season next year because he does nothing to avoid the check on him. He is, and always has been a target, who does not give an ounce of physicality back.

Tryamkin may yet return to be a God.   :) 

Screw Tryamikin,

He used us to leverage a bigger money deal in the KHL, wasted our time, assets screwed up our plans, wasted our time and decided us regarding his intentions

He's also a flake who doesn't want to commit to anything unless he gets what he wants right now, that was REALLY bad scouting by Benning, "ooh look he's big like Chara, can't speak English? No reason to interview him them, pick him"

Benning's strength was supposed to be his scouting, now I'm not sure what he's good for.

Would rather see Trev take over as GM, He's the front man for everything anyway and I've no doubt he's smarter than Benning, he is a former union head and has a great reputation around the league. Why do we need Grover again?

I agree Tanev HAS to GO, his value will fall with every new injury, the time is NOW

But I never want that Russian putting on our jersey again

Oh and BTW......Druin? Seriously? Picture Daniel if he were a lazy assh%le, keep him away from this team

There's a reason Yzerman wants him gone

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

Two things here - I'm not sure you're going to get that kind of value for Tryamkin's rights - just too much uncertainty about his future for a team to give up that kind of roster value imo to wait for his KHL contract to play out and then maybe he comes back.  I think he will, but it doesn't enhance his value - and Tampa already has Gusev in a similar situation - he's 25 in a few months and no certainty as of yet whether he comes over here.

I also would not offer Drouin anything near that.  He has one 20 goal season - he's 22 years old - he needs to take a bridge and earn a contract by proving himself over a couple more productive years as an RFA before I'd consider giving him anything approaching long term or anywhere near that kind of money. 

This boy is going to go after Gaudreau money, and most likely get it too. With the cap most likely coming up solidifies that possibility

My apologies, I thought this was his first full year. I forgot he had played a year, spent 2nd year in minor then held out at the start of this year. But still....this kid will pick up his defensive game as time goes on. I remember a time in the 80's when Mike Ilitch was giving away K Cars, a young Yzerman wasn't the most defensively responsible either. Drove Demers nuts. Bure was the pits defensively but they did what they were picked in the draft for.....put up points. 

5 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Screw Tryamikin,

He used us to leverage a bigger money deal in the KHL, wasted our time, assets screwed up our plans, wasted our time and decided us regarding his intentions

He's also a flake who doesn't want to commit to anything unless he gets what he wants right now, that was REALLY bad scouting by Benning, "ooh look he's big like Chara, can't speak English? No reason to interview him them, pick him"

Benning's strength was supposed to be his scouting, now I'm not sure what he's good for.

Would rather see Trev take over as GM, He's the front man for everything anyway and I've no doubt he's smarter than Benning, he is a former union head and has a great reputation around the league. Why do we need Grover again?

I agree Tanev HAS to GO, his value will fall with every new injury, the time is NOW

But I never want that Russian putting on our jersey again

Oh and BTW......Druin? Seriously? Picture Daniel if he were a lazy assh%le, keep him away from this team

There's a reason Yzerman wants him gone

Dee..    what did Nik sign for $ wise?    I have not heard anything yet.

Benning is rebuilding at Team, its Not easy and Not many GM's have done that here, if any.

Desjardins set us back about a year in development of the three he was here.

Benning is on the right track.

BTW.. picture this... Daniel and Henrik gone in a year, . Or this years TDL..

... I would like to see E Kane and Drouin here.

ps.  Russia is a mess,. Tryamkin will be back after he deals with the peer pressure of family and the early obligations of a young marriage..  Working in the NHL seasonally will prove to be the getaway and exit he needs from both.

6 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

This boy is going to go after Gaudreau money, and most likely get it too. With the cap most likely coming up solidifies that possibility

My apologies, I thought this was his first full year. I forgot he had played a year, spent 2nd year in minor then held out at the start of this year. But still....this kid will pick up his defensive game as time goes on. I remember a time in the 80's when Mike Ilitch was giving away K Cars, a young Yzerman wasn't the most defensively responsible either. Drove Demers nuts. Bure was the pits defensively but they did what they were picked in the draft for.....put up points. 

Another reason to stay away from him imo - or move him if he's yours, as Yzerman appears to be entertaining (so would I - he's the kind of asset that is a pleasure to trade).

He hasn't earned it yet.

But as for learning the other side of the game or being like Bure (who wasn't as vacant imo as you suggest), the game is really different now - and Drouin is no Yzerman.

I think the team needs to focus on these kinds of assets instead of undersized flashy wingers - playmaking center, powerplay quarterback, powerforward - but that's just my take - and I'd prefer they come with a level-head.

14 hours ago, oldnews said:

Would he?  I don't necessarily agree that what this team needs is to add a soft, one-dimensional, me-first winger.

I'm not going to bang the 'we're too small, easy to push around' drum here.....but, imo overpaying for Drouin would be a big mistake.

No way I'd pay the prices people are suggesting here for him.

Keep Tanev, keep our 5th overall etc - draft a center or a defenseman, forget Drouin.

Is the 5th overall = to him value wise? Or slightly more valuable? 

I was thinking something along the lines of Edler for Drouin package post expansion draft... if there's one team Edler says yes to it wold be Tampa to play with Hedman? Not to mention, reunite him with his drinking buddy Garrison? If need be, we can retain 1-2 million to get the deal done? 

I think it's a win/win/win 

Win for Vancouver for finding a home for a guy that doesn't want to leave the city and waive the NTC, but could say yes to go with Hedman, Starlman and good buddy Garrison... Tampa is nice too. It's no glorious Canadian city but it's decent for America. 

Win for Tampa, tough to argue they wont have the best D-core in the league? 

Win for Edler fans for rightfully putting him a great position for his well being and future 

3 minutes ago, apollo said:

Is the 5th overall = to him value wise? Or slightly more valuable? 

I was thinking something along the lines of Edler for Drouin package post expansion draft... if there's one team Edler says yes to it wold be Tampa to play with Hedman? Not to mention, reunite him with his drinking buddy Garrison? If need be, we can retain 1-2 million to get the deal done? 

I think it's a win/win/win 

Win for Vancouver for finding a home for a guy that doesn't want to leave the city and waive the NTC, but could say yes to go with Hedman, Starlman and good buddy Garrison... Tampa is nice too. It's no glorious Canadian city but it's decent for America. 

Win for Tampa, tough to argue they wont have the best D-core in the league? 

Win for Edler fans for rightfully putting him a great position for his well being and future 

Edler, CBJ 2nd

Tampa 1st, Cirelli

23 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Edler, CBJ 2nd

Tampa 1st, Cirelli

I don't know Cirelli or who Tampa will pick 1st overall, but what are the chances they turn out to be a player even close to Drouin?

Drouin is very similar to Seguin IMO. Garbage young entitled punk attitude, great on ice skil, similar size... as this "punk" matures, he will be a very valuable asset. I don't think we can produce anything better than drouin with the 1st + Cirelli.... (again no clue how good these two will pan out to be, but odds are slim) 

8 minutes ago, apollo said:

I don't know Cirelli or who Tampa will pick 1st overall, but what are the chances they turn out to be a player even close to Drouin?

Drouin is very similar to Seguin IMO. Garbage young entitled punk attitude, great on ice skil, similar size... as this "punk" matures, he will be a very valuable asset. I don't think we can produce anything better than drouin with the 1st + Cirelli.... (again no clue how good these two will pan out to be, but odds are slim) 

I think I'm being more realistic than you here though - Edler and a 2nd might get you a mid 1st and 3rd kind of deal - imo more realistic and possibly even preferable to your suggestion - who knows who'll remain available at 14 - Vesalainen?

3 hours ago, apollo said:

Cirelli was on the Canadian Junior team this year, I liked his game a lot. I would definitely do Edler and 2nd for Cirelli and 1st.

Archived