The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Will You Remember Dan Cloutier

Nucks89

Been a Canucks fan for awhile. I've seen the many downs and 2011. One of the most polarizing figure in Canucks lore may be Dan Cloutier. Personally I'll always remember him for his guts and determination. How do y'all remember him?

First things that come to my mind was that epic run he led us to in 2001 2002 to get us into the playoffs... 

The Bertuzzi hattrick and the Cloutier shutout vs the wings was pretty epic when the league had no cap and van spent like 30 mill and Detroit was at 300 mill (exaggerating) 

Ultimately the Lidstrom goal and choking in game 7 vs the wild are pretty vivid in my mind. 

Perhaps had he stayed healthy in 2004 he would he redeemed himself? 

Regardless, I'll always remember him as a Canuck. There's no greater honour for any person on this planet than being remembered as a Canuck. 

It shouldn't really be polarizing.  He's one of the most mentally fragile playoff goalies in NHL history.  Every time the playoffs started, he was a ticking time bomb.  But at least he was reliable at getting us into the playoffs during the regular season, which counts for something I guess.

1 minute ago, apollo said:

First things that come to my mind was that epic run he led us to in 2001 2002 to get us into the playoffs... 

The Bertuzzi hattrick and the Cloutier shutout vs the wings was pretty epic when the league had no cap and van spent like 30 mill and Detroit was at 300 mill (exaggerating) 

Ultimately the Lidstrom goal and choking in game 7 vs the wild are pretty vivid in my mind. 

Regardless, I'll always remember him as a Canuck. There's no greater honour for any person on this planet than being remembered as a Canuck. 

I honestly believed 2004 he had finally dialed it in and was ready for a long push.

Wasn't it just some slushy ice that he caught an edge on and blew his knee?

Just now, apollo said:

I've never seen such a dramatic turn of events after one goal. They were up 2-0 in the series and boom! After that goal, Detroit took over. Many blame Cloutier. I blame the team in front of him for that being a turning point. Definite canucks hofer in my eyes.

Still remember him chasing Scott Mellanby around in a game against St. Louis looking for blood.

As much I could be enraged by Clouts, I still would put him up there as 1 of my favorite Canucks goalies (WCE era was just a lot of fun).

Beachball?

Friday, November 11, 2011

Canucks - Where Are They Now? Dan Cloutier, A Beach Ball & History

clouts1.bmp
Like most of you, I have no aptitude for mathematics or the sciences. However, I am a lover of the brown liquors and I do a passable imitation of Ted Kennedy. And not that post Chappaquiddick, Kennedy either. It’s all chow-dah.
Today at, Kneel Before Rod, we’re going to begin the first in a semi, bi monthly, weekly segment in which we highlight one of the Canucks of yesteryear and see what they’ve been up to since they wore the giant whale….
The year was 2002.  Vancouver was awash in, “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”fever and Avril Lavigne’s song, Complicated became the anthem for urban youths ready to rebel against the status quo with clip on nose rings and black Chuck Taylors.
On the local sports scene, our boys in the blue and green had taken a 2-0 game lead in their first round playoff with the much favoured, Detroit Red Wings. Optimism was high as the Canucks skated onto home ice poised to take a stranglehold on the series.
The game started on equal footing, but at the 24.6 second mark of period two,Nicklas Lidstrom took an innocent slap shot from centre ice which sailed over the impotent catching hand of Dan Cloutier and into the Canuck’s net. The Wings won the game, but more importantly, they had taken back the series. The Red Wings went on to win the next 4 straight games, dispatching the Canucks from the post season.
It wasn’t long before pictures of Dan Cloutier showed up on the internet with a kaleidoscopic beach ball getting by him and into the net. Cloutier? Well, he went on to play in the NHL for a few more years, but he was never the same. More importantly, what happened to the beach ball? 
I had a chance to catch up with, Pierre LaPlage during a layover in Houston. The following is an excerpt from his New York Times bestseller, Red, White, Blue, Yellow and Green Like Me – My Life and Times as a Beachball
“People say that the two best things about Paradise Waves, Florida is the day you leave.  A working class suburb of Orlando, Paradise Waves is best known for making the personalized license plates found at theme park gift shops all over the U.S.”
It was here that, I spent my childhood years. The son of Polish immigrants, I always had a flair for the arts. While other kids were emulating the running style of the local High School quarterback, I spent my days floating in the family pool reading, Proust.”

http://kneelbeforerod.blogspot.ca/2011/11/canucks-where-are-they-now-dan-cloutier.html

I'll remember the stories of him always going to Canucks Place regularly, much like Russel Wilson does for Seattle now.

Say what you want about him as a goalie, but he's a hell of an invididual and I'm glad he's teaching our goalies.

Easy target but this fanbase generally loves attacking our goalies and putting no blame on other areas of the team so that's to be expected. This is the same fanbase that ran out Luo. I love Clouts. He was a badass and I'll remember him as such. Pretty sweet lid too.

i remember wanting the canucks to draft him. the same as i wanted canucks to draft cliff ronning. i was glad when the both ended up coming to the canucks. he had a rough playoffs one year but gave us some very good goaltending mostly. i remember how scrappy he was. didn't take crap from anyone. i've always liked cousin dan. 

Sadly whenever I think of him I can't get the Lidstrom goal out of my mind, I know he deserves to be thought of much more highly than that, but you did ask "How will you remember Dan Cloutier"

7 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Easy target but this fanbase generally loves attacking our goalies and putting no blame on other areas of the team so that's to be expected. This is the same fanbase that ran out Luo. I love Clouts. He was a badass and I'll remember him as such. Pretty sweet lid too.

He's the only goalie that ever made me feel dread.  I didn't feel dread when Frank Caprice was in goal, or Jason LaBarbera, or Troy Gamble, or Corey Hirsch, or Dany Sabourin, or Kay Whitmore.

And the fans didn't run Lu out of town.  Lu wanted out when Schneider got tapped as the starter one year.  Lu is a great goalie and a surefire hall of famer, but many MANY goalies have lost their starting job for a period without immediately wanting out of town.  Look at Marc Andre Fleury.

The fans were just fine to Luongo here, save for one Bronx cheer that I recall.  How many goalies have enjoyed a custom cheer in any town?

Archived