The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Will You Remember Dan Cloutier

Nucks89

As much as I hated Cloutier and thought that team could've done so many more things with a half decent goalie...

He will always hold a special place in my heart because he was a big part of one of the most exciting eras of Canuck hockey ever 

4 hours ago, Nucks89 said:

Unfortunately that goal is how most remember him. They were still up 2-1 in the series though.

Don't know they won 2 games but they made me believe for a bit....But man there was no way that Wings team wasn't going all the way.

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted:

This is how I remember Cloutier the goalie - a signature Brian Burke goalie graveyard guy, but TRUCULENT!

Not bad, not a great NHL goaltender, but a pretty good goaltending coach by most accounts.

When I think of Cloutier I think 'Luongo lite'. A lesser version of which who was at least reliable during the regular season but abysmal overall in the playoffs. However, nobody ever claimed him to be "elite" or "the best goalie on the planet" so I always gave him a pass even though I hoped for an upgrade. He was expected to be more than he was in this market and was incapable of living up to that. Despite his shortcomings I still liked him as a player on our team because he tried his best and wasn't at all an overpaid primadonna.

Edit: I just re-read my post and it looks like some kind of backhanded eulogy. Not my intention.

5 hours ago, Nucks89 said:

I've never seen such a dramatic turn of events after one goal. They were up 2-0 in the series and boom! After that goal, Detroit took over. Many blame Cloutier. I blame the team in front of him for that being a turning point. Definite canucks hofer in my eyes.

Also not to mention, that series was David vs goliath... The fact that we won 2 in Detroit was as good as a cup in my books. 

What was the salary cap difference between them that year? 

1 hour ago, Riviera82 said:

Edit: I just re-read my post and it looks like some kind of backhanded eulogy. Not my intention.

Edited 1 hour ago by Riviera82

Kinda does read that way a little. Although no more than some other posts in the thread.

Strange thread title to begin with. When I read it, my first thought was OMG, did Dan Cloutier die?

Quickly realized that wasn't the case.

Then wondered if he'd been fired from his coaching position?

And again, not the case.

So just a thread on what people think of Cloutier the player. Can't say I have much to add to what's already been said.

Except that IMO, the thread title kinda sucks. ;) 

I'm not as bummed out about the Detroit series (we were never going to win 4 against them) as I am about the Minnesota series.

With a decent goalie we get past Minny and play a Cinderella Anaheim in the Conference Finals. We beat them and we're in the finals and who knows with that New Jersey team IMO.

That was a weak NHL season in terms of playoff competition and that teams best chance at going all the way, yet Clouts lets in 3 weak goals in the 3rd period and were out after being up two goals going into the 3rd period of game 7.

As others have said this thread title sounded like he died.  The one thing that comes to mind isn't the hilarious beach ball gifs it is actually his aggression and toughness.  That and those horrible cringe worthy orca jerseys.

14 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

Hot headed goalie who was reliable in the regular season but unreliable in the playoffs.

In one word, Entertaining.

This pretty much summed it up for me and I think the poster was 2nd or 3rd...

as probably the 4th best goalie in team history. 

luongo

mclean

brodeur

cloutier

miller

schneider

both schneider and miller were undoubtedly more talented, but cloutier was more impactful. 

45 minutes ago, tas said:

as probably the 4th best goalie in team history. 

luongo

mclean

brodeur

cloutier

miller

schneider

both schneider and miller were undoubtedly more talented, but cloutier was more impactful. 

IMHO Cloutier was a good tender who never got the backup from the team leadership that he should have. That was Nasliund/Bertuzzi who never provided a serious back check and a d-core that was erratic and left him out to dry regularly. This leadership regularly came to the pressers and rarely took responsibility for goals against that were their fault not Cloutier's. Cloutier should have called them out but did not.

Many fans call Cloutier for lack of confidence. I suggest that when you don't know where the play is headed the 2nd guessing starts and that is what did more to sink Cloutier in Van than anything else.  

Funny how so many people still bash Cloutier on the bad goal he let in. There are many examples of top goalies with more skill than Clouts who did the same. Arguably the best goalie ever to play the game, let in some worse than Cloutier ever did. Suppose, the only thing is that Brodeur was stronger mentally and overcame them almost instantly. Anyone remember this one? Still cracks me up watching it. :lol:

Archived