The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Armed Forces Thread

Gurn

12 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

It does, or did rather. Originally it was light vessel made for speed and maneuverability. In the 18th century that became more specific to mean a three masted, square sailed, vessel that has all on its guns on one deck. When steam came around, it kept the definition of "all guns on one deck" but got rid of the sails and masts of course. By the second world war, frigate was strictly a weight class. Meaning larger than a corvette and smaller than a destroyer, and it kept that definition for a few decades. 

I really just mean that the 1930s to 80s?(who knows when the definition ended) Definition of "smaller than a destroyer" is kind of meaningless. The term 'frigate' is just coming to mean multirole workhorse, when it has traditionally been used for smaller vessels. 

You realize that we are talking about present day frigates, right?  ;)

You must be into boats like I'm into jets.  I only have a moderate interest in warships, but I truly enjoy learning everything I can about jet fighters and bombers.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The FFG(X) program could end up picking the fremm. Thats what I meant.

Similar to Canada the US doesn't want to waste the time and money on a new design. I suppose outsource was the wrong word to use.

I'm hoping the FFG(X) turns out to be a better heavy frigate than the LCS is as a light one.  The only things that I like about the LCS is it's weapons adaptability and it's breakneck speed.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

You realize that we are talking about present day frigates, right?  ;)

You must be into boats like I'm into jets.  I only have a moderate interest in warships, but I truly enjoy learning everything I can about jet fighters and bombers.

Haha, I admit, I'm really into ships.

I've had a few conversations with old retired sailers who are aghast that our Navy doesn't have destroyers in its plans. I've just gotten used to to telling people frigate doesn't mean what it did in the 70s, if ships this large and well armed were commissioned then, they would be called destroyers.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MattJVD said:

Haha, I admit, I'm really into ships.

I've had a few conversations with old retired sailers who are aghast that our Navy doesn't have destroyers in its plans. I've just gotten used to to telling people frigate doesn't mean what it did in the 70s, if ships this large and well armed were commissioned then, they would be called destroyers.

Ever have to explain to someone that battleship-class boats are no longer a thing in a proper modern navy?  It can be exhausting trying to get them to believe you.

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

As if anyone else even had a chance. That being said this is the best choice.

Type 26 named as the design for Canada’s future warship

Irving Shipbuilding and Public Services and Procurement Canada have announced that BAE-Lockheed Martin is the industry team which scored the highest with their bid to provide the 15 new warships for the Royal Canadian Navy. The consortium is the “preferred bidder” according to the federal government, for the Canadian Surface Combatant program. Its design is the Type 26. That selection will now set off negotiations which in turn will – if all is successful – produce a contract. The entire project is worth $60 billion, with an estimated 60 per cent for the actual ship.

Alion Science and Technology, along with its subsidiary Alion Canada, had submitted their proposal based on the Dutch De Zeven Provinciën Air Defence and Command (LCF) frigate.

Navantia of Spain headed a team that included Saab Australia and CEA Technologies. Its proposal was based on the F-105 frigate design, a ship in service with the Spanish navy.

Lockheed Martin Canada, is the prime on the team that if offering BAE’s Type 26 warship.

More to come……..

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/type-26-named-as-the-design-for-canadas-future-warship

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

As if anyone else even had a chance. That being said this is the best choice.

Type 26 named as the design for Canada’s future warship

Irving Shipbuilding and Public Services and Procurement Canada have announced that BAE-Lockheed Martin is the industry team which scored the highest with their bid to provide the 15 new warships for the Royal Canadian Navy. The consortium is the “preferred bidder” according to the federal government, for the Canadian Surface Combatant program. Its design is the Type 26. That selection will now set off negotiations which in turn will – if all is successful – produce a contract. The entire project is worth $60 billion, with an estimated 60 per cent for the actual ship.

Alion Science and Technology, along with its subsidiary Alion Canada, had submitted their proposal based on the Dutch De Zeven Provinciën Air Defence and Command (LCF) frigate.

Navantia of Spain headed a team that included Saab Australia and CEA Technologies. Its proposal was based on the F-105 frigate design, a ship in service with the Spanish navy.

Lockheed Martin Canada, is the prime on the team that if offering BAE’s Type 26 warship.

More to come……..

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/type-26-named-as-the-design-for-canadas-future-warship

nice to see the bid is still for 15 ships.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, milk and honey said:

Do you think arm force people deserve a pay raise?

Yes, our Veterans also need more money. Canadians need to stop being so cheap towards our troops, veterans and the tools for our forces. I say Canadians because both parties neglect our military and if Canadians made it clear it was unacceptable our political parties wouldn't do this.

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yes, our Veterans also need more money. Canadians need to stop being so cheap towards our troops, veterans and the tools for our forces. I say Canadians because both parties neglect our military and if Canadians made it clear it was unacceptable our political parties wouldn't do this.

I feel we should do more to get better equipment (stuff are old as hell).  And better support for vets.  But the money gotta come from somewhere. Nobody wants higher taxes, so what social programs get axed?  

Don't bother suggesting efficient spending cuz no government has ever been fiscally responsible. 

6 hours ago, BPA said:

I feel we should do more to get better equipment (stuff are old as hell).  And better support for vets.  But the money gotta come from somewhere. Nobody wants higher taxes, so what social programs get axed?  

Don't bother suggesting efficient spending cuz no government has ever been fiscally responsible. 

I never claimed to be a finance minister but Canada is a very rich nation. If Canadians were adamant about military upgrades our governments would make it happen. Investing in the military is also good for the economy as it creates lots of jobs.

Edited by Ryan Strome

On 9/19/2018 at 8:24 PM, SabreFan1 said:

Ever have to explain to someone that battleship-class boats are no longer a thing in a proper modern navy? 

Battleship-class boats weren't even relevant before you guys got into WWII...(lucky for you guys - and us obviously, the Japanese didn't get the memo).

Hard to imagine that at the end of WWII, Canada had the 3rd largest navy in the world.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

12 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Battleship-class boats weren't even relevant before you guys got into WWII.

The battleship was still relevant going into WWII, but the British were the first to show the damage aircraft could do from their aircraft carriers during the Taranto raid in Italy.

The Japanese saw the results and saying "hold my beer", stepped it up to the next level.

• Cheers 1

Just now, gurn said:

The battleship was still relevant going into WWII, but the British were the first to show the damage aircraft could do from their aircraft carriers during the Taranto raid in Italy.

The Japanese saw the results and saying "hold my beer", stepped it up to the next level.

Think it was bi-planes of all things that essentially took out the Bismark.

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Think it was bi-planes of all things that essentially took out the Bismark.

Yep, a torpedo launch from a Swordfish. biplane hit the Bismark at the stern and jammed his (German boats are he s) rudder so that all they could do was a giant circle and wait for the Brits to catch up.

Edited by gurn
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Battleship-class boats weren't even relevant before you guys got into WWII...(lucky for you guys - and us obviously, the Japanese didn't get the memo).

Hard to imagine that at the end of WWII, Canada had the 3rd largest navy in the world.

Explain that to someone today though.  They'll think that you're full of it.  Most people think that any large boat is a battleship.

It's sad how successive governments over the years let Canada's armed forces, but especially the navy, dwindle down as badly as it did.  Finally though it's being partially rebuilt.

On 10/22/2018 at 2:33 PM, milk and honey said:

Do you think arm force people deserve a pay raise?

19 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Our military is among the best paid in the world, I was making $60+ thousand as a corporal with a high school diploma. Our Veterans and equipment purchases could use the money though.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Our military is among the best paid in the world, I was making $60+ thousand as a corporal with a high school diploma. Our Veterans and equipment purchases could use the money though.

Are you guys still using those ancient "deuce & a halfs"?  You know, the vehicles our grandfather's used.

Didn't seem THAT long ago that some of our navy ships were still 'vacuum tubes' in much of the equipment.  :P

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

23 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Are you guys still using those ancient "deuce & a halfs"?  You know, the vehicles our grandfather's used.

Didn't seem THAT long ago that some of our navy ships were still 'vacuum tubes' in much of the equipment.  :P

The trucking fleet was replaced a few years ago, between 08' and 12' or something like that? They were all replaced before I left anyways (16')

• Cheers 1