The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luc Bourdon - RIP

Podz92

9 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

Wow 9 years ago today that we lost Luc Bourdon, can't believe it's been that long already. Still makes me depressed that he was taken so young. 

Damn,

I remember I was on tour, playing in Oregan....The drummer told me.

I had watched what I think was his final game (pre season) in Aneheim. I remember some guy beat him clean, and you could just tell that he knew that play was going o get him sent down, so he immediately dropped the gloves and fought the guy (don't remember who)

I remember liking his style, and the statement he made " you beat me on the play, I'll beat you after the play"

The kid had jam.

5 hours ago, PlanB said:

I've been on this forum before,  during and after the Bourdon era in Vancouver and don't have the same recollection as you at all.   Sure there were questions around him as a pick/player but to say it was 10x more intense than the Virt talk is just plain false imo.   

I was devastated as a fan then,  and I still feel emotional about it now.   That's not even considering I'm a motorcycle rider myself for over 20 years.  For people to say it's a lesson in life,  that's fine and all but why him and not the 1000's of other riders that do ill advised things on their bikes all the time? 

i also remember the bourdon era and i never saw this "virtanen x10 heat" either, and there were only a select few who did the whole "zomg kopitarz" it was just what was trending on cdc at the time, like raymond+ballard+1st thing-- it was just a running gag. i just remember seeing he was a kid who quietly went about his own business and the hockey experts of cdc, at the time, pegged luc as a guy who would be a good player, many years down the road (for some reason 27 was the magic number?), but at the same time, expected grabner to be our next 50 goal guy

i was never salty about his draft position, and if we were to go over that draft again, i'd still pick him over kopitar, because at the time, this team needed defencemen. no one can see tragedies like this coming

7 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Sad that a lot of "fans" only seem to cherish Bourdon after his passing.  Lets not forget, the atmosphere was toxic when there's talk about Bourdon.  Just think of what all those naysayers are talking about Virtanen now.... but multiple it at least 10x.  Almost every trade proposal included LB as a filler.  So much outrage about how he's not dominating the AHL or why he wasn't with the Canucks.  How he has been surpassed by Edler and that he was just a #6 guy when he was with the Canucks.  Many posters kept making the remark "OmgZZZ K0pIt4R!!!111" or how Nonis should have drafted Marc Staal instead.

I don't remember it this way.  Luc wasn't even in the system long enough for people to start calling him a flop.  He was just a kid with lots of potential that was showing it with some consistency when given the opportunity.  He was drafted high, then people saw some good signs of why he was drafted high, and then he was gone.  Undoubtedly he had some critics, as all picks do, but it was nothing like the Virtanen situation, at least to my memory.

6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't remember it this way.  Luc wasn't even in the system long enough for people to start calling him a flop.  He was just a kid with lots of potential that was showing it with some consistency when given the opportunity.  He was drafted high, then people saw some good signs of why he was drafted high, and then he was gone.  Undoubtedly he had some critics, as all picks do, but it was nothing like the Virtanen situation, at least to my memory.

It was due to Luc having an ankle injury which hampered his development.  Then Edler arrived out of the blue and some were upset that some 3rd rounder has outperformed the #10 pick.  Plus there's Anze Kopitar, who was already a top centre from the start... and many people were claiming that it was "obvious" that the Canucks should have drafted him (even though the centres at the time were:  Morrison, Henrik, Linden, Kesler, etc).  Marc Staal was seemingly progressing towards being a #1 defenseman.

Both Staal and Kopitar immediately became impact players.... Bourdon spent another 2 seasons in the Q, wasn't overwhelming in the AHL, and was a depth defenseman in the NHL when he was up.  Him not being an impact player immediately ruffled the feather of many on CDC at the time.  If is possible to dig out all those old threads of bashers of Bourdon, etc.... 

15 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Sad that a lot of "fans" only seem to cherish Bourdon after his passing.  Lets not forget, the atmosphere was toxic when there's talk about Bourdon.  Just think of what all those naysayers are talking about Virtanen now.... but multiple it at least 10x.  Almost every trade proposal included LB as a filler.  So much outrage about how he's not dominating the AHL or why he wasn't with the Canucks.  How he has been surpassed by Edler and that he was just a #6 guy when he was with the Canucks.  Many posters kept making the remark "OmgZZZ K0pIt4R!!!111" or how Nonis should have drafted Marc Staal instead. 

And those posters were impatient idiots and probably will be whining if Juolevi doesn't make the team next year despite defensemen needing more development time.  Bourdon was a standout for two gold medal winning Canadian junior teams, including one in Vancouver.

Enjoy your minus.

32 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And those posters were impatient idiots and probably will be whining if Juolevi doesn't make the team next year despite defensemen needing more development time.  Bourdon was a standout for two gold medal winning Canadian junior teams, including one in Vancouver.

Enjoy your minus.

Umm... sure?  lol

What's wrong with pointing out the situation on CDC then?  When Luc was around, he was treated on this board as a bust.  When he unfortunately passed away, suddenly he's the "key" in 2011, the next Bobby Orr or some magic elixir to the Canucks woe.  

You're probably right that most of those complaining were (probably still are) impatient idiots, but all I'm saying was that it was an entire choir of them on CDC with Bourdon's defenders seemingly in the minority.  

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Saw this over at HFBoards and figured it deserved to be added to the thread.

Kris Letang remembering Bourdon and saying that he truly believes Luc would have been "the best defenseman in the NHL."

Starts around 3:35 into the video:

Little gets by you Sid. This is a serious testimonial to Luc Bourdon by arguably one of the best d-men in the NHL, Chris Letang. He says that Bourdon would have been one of the best/or best d-men in the NHL if he had not passed.   

Archived