The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, joe-max said:

Please don't. The kid has played more than enough hockey this season. Prospect camp, junior world championship, champions hockey league, full league schedule + play-offs into the finals. He should give his body some rest and start working out with Daniel and Henrik in the summer to be prepared for next year.

The Sedins have retired, thus this summer they won't be doing the kind of work out which would prepare one to get ready for the NHL season. EP will likely receive advice from the two as well as all the trainers and staffs and develops the best kind of work out program for him.

19 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

I dont want to get my hopes up but what if Pettersson is Laine good, like what if he comes in and has a brock type year ? Do we dare to dream?just seems to me like we are all conditioned to think good things wont happen to us, and I love the sedins and everything, I mean, the are a huge part of this city, but it took them 6 years to become marquee players whereas teams like chicago and pittsburgh got ready made superstars who dominated from their first game on - do we dare to dream that we will get players like that ??

I think young players now days are well conditioned and well trained compared to back in the days when the Sedins came in. It was common for skilled players to take some time back then but now, it's not farfetched for young players like Pettersson to come in and has a great season like Boeser/Laine.

But even if Pettersson comes in and score 30, we will probably miss the playoffs again next season.

NHL is really competitive. For example, the Jets didn't make the playoffs last season despite adding Laine to the lineup on top of a pretty good star forwards of Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers. They had pretty good defence too.

The most important difference from last season is their goaltending. I guess they added Kyle Connor this season as well and their top 6 basically has 5 players that have scored 30 goals or nearly 30 goals. 

A contender has strengths everywhere. A playoff team cannot have a glaring weakness in any position.

We add Pettersson, who let's say comes in and scores 30 goals. But that is on top of pretty thin top 6. Only Boeser and Horvat are bonafide top 6 players. Compare that to 2016/17 Jets adding Laine to Wheeler, Scheifele, and Ehlers.

Although Marky played well in the last 10 games, he is still a question mark.

Our defence is also a bit suspect. 

I agree that Pettersson has a good chance to come in and do well but let's temper our expectation a bit so that we won't be too down when Pettersson comes in and doesn't have major impact on the team success right away.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, khay said:

I think young players now days are well conditioned and well trained compared to back in the days when the Sedins came in. It was common for skilled players to take some time back then but now, it's not farfetched for young players like Pettersson to come in and has a great season like Boeser/Laine.

But even if Pettersson comes in and score 30, we will probably miss the playoffs again next season.

NHL is really competitive. For example, the Jets didn't make the playoffs last season despite adding Laine to the lineup on top of a pretty good star forwards of Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers. They had pretty good defence too.

The most important difference from last season is their goaltending. I guess they added Kyle Connor this season as well and their top 6 basically has 5 players that have scored 30 goals or nearly 30 goals. 

A contender has strengths everywhere. A playoff team cannot have a glaring weakness in any position.

We add Pettersson, who let's say comes in and scores 30 goals. But that is on top of pretty thin top 6. Only Boeser and Horvat are bonafide top 6 players. Compare that to 2016/17 Jets adding Laine to Wheeler, Scheifele, and Ehlers.

Although Marky played well in the last 10 games, he is still a question mark.

Our defence is also a bit suspect. 

I agree that Pettersson has a good chance to come in and do well but let's temper our expectation a bit so that we won't be too down when Pettersson comes in and doesn't have major impact on the team success right away.

Boston and Toronto are the only teams in the playoffs with 3 thirty goal scorers...so count again on the Jets' totals...

If EP comes in and gets 30 goals then he will also get about 40 assists and that will give us 3 seventy point players, one 45 goal scorer and quite possibly 3 thirty goal scorers...Bo will score 30 one year at least...book that...!

That makes us a playoff team next year...which is my prediction...we were a playoff team in Dec. last year and we won games like a playoff team to end this year...buy your tickets now...

14 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Boston and Toronto are the only teams in the playoffs with 3 thirty goal scorers...so count again on the Jets' totals...

If EP comes in and gets 30 goals then he will also get about 40 assists and that will give us 3 seventy point players, one 45 goal scorer and quite possibly 3 thirty goal scorers...Bo will score 30 one year at least...book that...!

That makes us a playoff team next year...which is my prediction...we were a playoff team in Dec. last year and we won games like a playoff team to end this year...buy your tickets now...

Not unless Bettman goes into league settings and disables injuries next season.

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Even if everything goes perfectly for our top line, our defence and goaltending are still near the bottom of the league.

3 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I am agreeing 100 % with you about the team we could have next year. I might be the only person who feels the Sedins retiring make us a better team. My reasons

They are so married to each other that 50 points each is usually only 50 goals give or take a few. Where two other players get 35 points each and that could and should translate to 50 goals also. Now take all the loses they cost us being out in OT. If we do have two players come in and get 35 points each we will still get 220 goals as a team only because two other players won't be so bent on passing to the same player.

Now OJ is coming in at 20 years old and already starting to play big minutes. Not a stud defenseman yet but an upgrade over existing defensemen.

Petterson will come in and earn ice time as the season hits 20 ish games and will do well

Dhalin will be an addition 

Jake showed awesome growth last few weeks

Goldobin starting to find his pro game

We don't have enough room for the players we have, But I am betting we have some awesome decisions to be made next October. And we may have a few players at the draft that could step in depending how high we draft. Its Gary Bettmans NHL so I say 9th.

5 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I meant 5 players that have scored 30 goals at some point or very close at some point in their career, not just this season. Ehlers scored 29 goals this season and Wheeler scored 28 before but I counted them (hence the use of the word basically 30 goal scorers). 

Even if we get 3 30 goal scorers, if they all play on the same line, we are a one line team. Kinda like Colorado but with worse goaltending and I guess defence would be similar. Colorado made it so I say we have a chance but still, a lot has to go well. With weak goaltending, which was my point regarding the Jets, I still think it will be hard. Well, unless Marky becomes a .915-.920 goalie.

2 hours ago, cory40 said:

I am agreeing 100 % with you about the team we could have next year. I might be the only person who feels the Sedins retiring make us a better team. My reasons

They are so married to each other that 50 points each is usually only 50 goals give or take a few. Where two other players get 35 points each and that could and should translate to 50 goals also. Now take all the loses they cost us being out in OT. If we do have two players come in and get 35 points each we will still get 220 goals as a team only because two other players won't be so bent on passing to the same player.

Now OJ is coming in at 20 years old and already starting to play big minutes. Not a stud defenseman yet but an upgrade over existing defensemen.

Petterson will come in and earn ice time as the season hits 20 ish games and will do well

We don't have enough room for the players we have, But I am betting we have some awesome decisions to be made next October. And we may have a few players at the draft that could step in depending how high we draft. Its Gary Bettmans NHL so I say 9th.

Just to screw Vancouver's draft position, they would screw 8 other teams ahead of us as well? lol

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Lakers said:

Have anyone of you seen this picture before? This is Elias turning five, according to his mom that was his favorite t-shirt :o

680.jpg

:lol: That’s awesome!

Picked 5th overall by Vancouver.

At 5 years old his favourite shirt had Vancouver on it.

Obviously it was destiny.

Also can’t help but notice that 5 year old Elias was rocking a haircut to rival a young Joe Dirt:

0F5AA2C0-7FFA-4F08-B559-B85C728E77FC.jpeg.e9da2965ce289e90de616786a0273cc6.jpeg

Would have never guessed he’s be a mullet candidate looking at his style today.

Maybe his mom picked the hairdo and she was a big fan of those Swedish hair bands from back in the day? 

2 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

Pettersson is now the best SHL player in NHL18, total score of 93 

https://www.shl.se/artikel/wv4hajfs2-403dd/arets-lag-i-nhl-18-elias-pettersson-vaxjo

Chosen as sole SHL player in the TOTY offensive team

Are you saying I need to restart my be a GM mode? Lol. Is he updated for that?  I'm currently in my first off season Pettersson is a 68. I started it after the first update lol

Boeser is only 79 on mine he was 85 on my last update. X_X

5 hours ago, Lakers said:

Have anyone of you seen this picture before? This is Elias turning five, according to his mom that was his favorite t-shirt :o

680.jpg

That's a great looking Kentucky Waterfall...  Though I am kind of glad my mom refused to mulletize my hair when I was a wee lil' pup.

13 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I have to agree with Khay on this one.  Our d and goaltending are too weak for us to be a playoff team next year.

9 hours ago, cory40 said:

Strongly disagree.  The Sedins retiring makes us a worse team.  But that's okay, we need some more high end talent at the draft next year.

6 minutes ago, dura_mater said:

I have to agree with Khay on this one.  Our d and goaltending are too weak for us to be a playoff team next year.

Strongly disagree.  The Sedins retiring makes us a worse team.  But that's okay, we need some more high end talent at the draft next year.

Exactly. It's a 100 lost points we have to get from somewhere else. I like our youngsters but that's a very tall task.